• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation October 2011 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
With DTB2 only being $65, it makes me wonder what makes a $65 combo and what makes a $70 one? I wonder if they changed the sizes to BD cases, but I don't know if that would make it cheaper.

willag wrote:
I could care less whether or not it's cheaper. I just thought I lost out on the chance to own the blu-ray (for a reasonable price) ever since it went OOP about a month ago. I was hoping for a Classic release, but I wasn't certain if I was going to get one if the BD sold poorly.

That makes sense, especially with your track record of shows you want going OOP on you.

Personally, I think FMP is one of those franchises that'll stay around for a long time. Like, until Funimation collapses long time. I know people don't like throwing this around, especially for fairly recent stuff, but I think it's a classic, and therefore I feel most anime fans should see it at some point in their fandom, and apparently Funimation agrees with me. So even though it's hit the end of the rerelease road with this Classic release, with I'm sure the first two seasons to follow, it'll most likely stay in print for several more years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
As expected, TRSI has correct the MSRPs for the Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid Classic Line releases. The correct MSRP for both is $34.98 and not $49.98.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Definitely getting Darker Than Black 2 and am really glad to note that it includes the OVA series. Very Happy

I sucks that there's still no word on Rosario+Vampire, October would be the perfect month to release it in too. Laughing
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Darker than Black 2 Limited Edition is an insta-buy for me. Everything else is a pass, except maybe FMP! on BD in the future.
MedinaFunky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Any Differences with the TSR release? I just bought the Full Metal panic series lol. They should just make a box set.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
MedinaFunky wrote:
Any Differences with the TSR release? I just bought the Full Metal panic series lol. They should just make a box set.

Lower MSRP and probably a more space-saving packaging. Outside of that, it's unknown whether there will be any additional video/audio upgrade.
MedinaFunky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
MedinaFunky wrote:

Lower MSRP and probably a more space-saving packaging. Outside of that, it's unknown whether there will be any additional video/audio upgrade.

bought TSR for 17.95 on amazon must be on sale LOL.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote
I'm going to hold off on pre-ordering FUNimation stuff for a while now. They aren't selling out of these limited editions as fast as I anticipated they would. Might as well wait till I'm ready to watch the show I buy instead of buying out of fear of a sell out.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
I think a show as popular as Darker than Black has a good chance of selling out early.

Besides, last I checked, every LE aside from Chrome Shelled Regios and Baka and Test (which just came out) is either sold our or close to selling out. I'm rather impressed that many of the titles have either none or very limited stock after only a few months when most LE stuff (art boxes) stick around for years. But I guess if you're willing to counter watch TRSI then you can not preorder, but it seems easier to just buy it as early as you can, especially if you manage to score one of the store exclusives.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
I was considering getting that Darker Than Black set but I still haven't seen the first season. I'd buy the set but then it would be sitting unwatched for who knows how long. FUNi or Aniplex needs to give us a date on the Blu-ray set for the first season.

When they started doing that "first press" deal earlier this year, I thought they were going to sell out shortly after street (I was thinking Japanese style sell outs). I guess I don't need to rush unless there's some super special store exclusive involved. That Baka and Test erase board was worth the pre-order.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
I figured I was gonna wait about a month or so until DtB2 comes out, and if no announcement has been made about Season 1 getting a blu-ray, then I'll jump on the classic release of it.

Either way, Season 2's LE is getting a pre-order.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Besides, last I checked, every LE aside from Chrome Shelled Regios and Baka and Test (which just came out) is either sold our or close to selling out. I'm rather impressed that many of the titles have either none or very limited stock after only a few months when most LE stuff (art boxes) stick around for years.

Rideback would be the other one (for now) is still widely available. Chrome Shelled Regios (as mentioned) would be lingering one that is taking longer than the rest. It didn't take long for Dance in the Vampire Bund to pop up a counter at TRSI (in comparison to the earlier LEs). It's probably safe to assume that they are producing smaller runs of the LEs than what they initially had toward the beginning of the year.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Forgot about Rideback. Even though I really enjoyed it I could see why it wouldn't be a fantastic seller in the LE department, but I'd think the RE is doing fine. Although, I'm sure the lack of exposure is really hurting it (ANN hasn't touched at all). Vampire Bund was practically set up to sell out with the LE dropping to $32 during that one Amazon sale and with the Funi Sale before it's release, so I can't say I'm surprised by its success. Not to mention the controversy surrounding it, so that probably got some people's attention; it almost got me to buy it (along with that cover art).
Quote:
It's probably safe to assume that they are producing smaller runs of the LEs than what they initially had toward the beginning of the year.

Or that Chrome Shelled Regios is just a bad show, which doesn't bode well for me since I blind bought it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Hopefully it's just unpopular like Rideback.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Nah, CSR is just a terrible show.

It was a part of that terrible license group at A-Cen where I was in the room and pretty much facepalming at every mentioned license except for Rideback.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about something odd today: Has anyone else noticed that since the last volume of FMA:B there hasn't been a two or more cour show announced outside of rereleases (Shin Chan and Sgt Frog being obvious exceptions)? In fact, looking over my personal buy list, they aren't on track to release any two cour shows anytime soon. There's LOL Heroes, Shiki, Shana 2, Index, Steins;Gate, and...that's it according to my list, but those aren't coming out for a while since they were recently announced (well, LOL Heroes could be soon). It never dawned on me, but they've been acquiring mostly one cour shows lately. Makes me think they're still trying to figure how they're going to release 2 cour shows with LEs and Combos.

Just a random thought.

Megiddo wrote:
Nah, CSR is just a terrible show.

Yay for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3