• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meanings of character's names.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suna_suna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
Kuwabara is the name of a guy in a Japanese legend I believe. It had something to do with him being struck by lightning all the time or something like that. I only vaguely remember something of it from the Metal Gear Solid 3 boards on Gfaqs cause everyone wondered why that one guy who controls lightning kept saying "Kuwabara Kuwabara" over and over.

i think he just likes to say it.

also, the four names Suzaku, Byakko, Genbu and Seiryu come up alot in anime (again Yu Yu Hakusho) and also video games (Tenchu 2). they are four deities i think
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
also, the four names Suzaku, Byakko, Genbu and Seiryu come up alot in anime (again Yu Yu Hakusho) and also video games (Tenchu 2). they are four deities i think

Yes, in lots of places. They are the names of the four gods or holy animals. Originally a Chinese mythological device, they were imported to Japanese mythology during the Heian period.

A complex symbolism has been built up around them, and they each have a number of corresponding symbolic values:

Suzaku - phoenix - South - Summer
Genbu - tortoise - North - Winter
Byakku - white tiger - West - Autumn
Seiryuu - dragon - East - Spring

Offhand, I can think of at least a dozen anime where the four animals play an important part, in one form or another. Fushigi Yuugi, Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyoushou~, Mahou Shoutengai Abenobashi, etc.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
But meaningful names are not only Japanese. For instance, in Last Exile, we have Dio whose name literally mean s "god", but probably intended here to allude to the Dioscuri, i.e. Gemini. We also have his dark half, Luciola, whose name means "firefly", implying a brief life and a rôle as uncertain guide in the darkness.- abunai

spoiler[I always took Dio's name to be an intentionally painful irony - being Delphine's heir but also completely powerless to protect either himself or his friends from her. I also took Luciola's name, aside from the Eraclea's apparent tradition of naming their slaves after insects (Luciola's brother is named Cicada), as representing a brief light - his acceptance of himself as a human being before being murdered so young, and his function as the one stabilizing force in Dio's life.]
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
And yet sometimes the name can be misleading. The guy who wrote "Wrong About Japan" talks about how he learned that "saya" meant "sheath", and excitedly applied it to the main character in Blood, who, appropriately, carries a sword. A Japanese acquaintance advised him that such an obvious wordplay was highly unlikely. Of course he made parts of that book up, so I'm not saying he's a source on anything authoritative, but that's just an example of how knowing just a little Japanese can be misleading.

"Shiro" means "castle", so does that mean the main character in 08th MS Team is named "Castle"? I doubt it.

It seems that the more obivous wordplay is found in the works aimed at younger audiences, imo. Naruto, or DBZ, for instance.

Let's not even get into DBZ names. Pretty much everyone knows those anyway -- Bulma's family being named after underwear (or related attire), Saiyans all being vegetables, etc. etc.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Offhand, I can think of at least a dozen anime where the four animals play an important part, in one form or another. Fushigi Yuugi, Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyoushou~, Mahou Shoutengai Abenobashi, etc.

They are also characters in Digimon

East: Seiryuu (Blue Dragon) - Qinglongmon (Azulongmon)
North: Genbu (Black Turtle) - Xuanwumon (Ebonwumon)
West: Byakko (White Tiger) - Baihumon
South: Suzaku (Red Sparrow/Phoenix) - Zhuqiaomon

and they also feature in the PS2 game Shadow Hearts.

Iritscen wrote:
"Shiro" means "castle", so does that mean the main character in 08th MS Team is named "Castle"? I doubt it.

depends on the kanji:

城 (shiro) is castle
白 (shiro) is white

There are a whole host of names that can be romanised as shiro or shirou.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
that's just an example of how knowing just a little Japanese can be misleading.

Oh yes indeed.

Iritscen wrote:

Far more likely that his name is 白 (shiro, "white") than 城 (shiro, "castle"), since the former is a far more common name. Looking at the series website doesn't really give us any clues, since it's written in katakana as シロー (Shirô).

If I was going to assume that his name had a hidden pun, I'd guess that it was a combination of 白 (shiro, "white") and 素人 (shirouto, "novice"). But that would really be reaching for it.

- abunai

EDIT: I see Shiroi Hane (白い羽) beat me to the punch, unsurprisingly under the circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Far more likely that his name is 白 (shiro, "white") than 城 (shiro, "castle"), since the former is a far more common name.

I'd like to mention that in my name it means castle. Altough I will agree that the shiro/haku usage is more common in first names.

I also tried to look up Hikaru in Figure 17's name to see if it also means light but could only find her name in kana online. I did confirm that Hikaru no Go is named after light. I believe Hikaru Ichijo uses a different kanji, maybe kagayaku instead of hikari.

I never was a big fan of Sailor Moon, but their names also correspond to planets which fits the show, right? Either that or days of the week.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I never was a big fan of Sailor Moon, but their names also correspond to planets which fits the show, right? Either that or days of the week.

Zalis had these translations of the Sailor Senshi's names:

Quote:
月野うさぎ Tsukino Usagi = Rabbit of the Moon
水野アミ Mizuno Ami = Friend of Water
火野霊 Hino Rei = Spirit of Fire
木野真 Kino Makoto = Truth of Tree (or something like that)
愛野美奈子 Aino Minako = Beautiful Child of Love
地場守 Chiba Mamoru = Protects the Earth

I have an old Sailor Moon RPG book that translates them this way:

Tsukino Usagi - Rabbit of the Moon
Mizuno Ami - Asian Beauty of Water
Hino Rei - Spirit of Fire
Kino Makoto - Sincerity of Wood
Aino Minako - Beautiful Little Child of Love
Chiba Mamoru - Protector of Earth
Tenoh Haruka - Distant Heaven King
Kaioh Michiru - Maturing Sea King
Meioh Setsuna - Momentary Dark King
Tomoe Hotaru - Firefly Sprouting from the Earth
Seiya Kou - Star Field Light
Taiki Kou - Atmospheric Light
Yaten Kou- Night Sky Light

Sorry that I don't have the kanji, but then I wouldn't know how to input it anyway. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Most of the Senshi's names matches their particular skills but I never have figured out how Hotaru's name fits in with her role as Sailor Saturn.

I also like what Sesshomaru's name could mean:

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The kanji of 'Sesshō' means 'killing or destruction of life.' 'Maru' is usually a suffix that is often added at the end of a Japanese name for young males in samurai families. They would use this name until they were recognized as adults, whereupon they would adopt a new name. Therefore Sesshōmaru means "Destruction Man." However, it is said that 'maru' can also translate as the word for 'circle,' which is a common Japanese motif for what in the West is called 'the circle of life.'[citation needed] Thus it is widely assumed that the name Sesshōmaru translates literally as 'destruction of the circle of life', or 'end of the circle of life.' However 'maru' also means 'perfect,' so another possible translation is 'perfect destruction,' or 'Killing Perfection.' This may seem to provide a relationship between the crescent mark on Sesshomaru's forehead, and the Meidō Zangetsuha's now crescent-moon shape/size, to its potential circular shape and size.

It's rather fits him, don't you think? Of course, he's loosened up (a little bit) now that he has Rin traveling with him.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:

vaguely remember something of it from the Metal Gear Solid 3 boards on Gfaqs cause everyone wondered why that one guy who controls lightning kept saying "Kuwabara Kuwabara" over and over.

No; according to Japanese superstition, the mulberry tree is less likely to be struck by lightning than any other tree.

So the guy is probably saying that to protect himself from the dangerous ability that he is using.

And it's therefore also easy to see how it became a general incantation to ward off bad luck Smile
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
mrgazpacho wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:

vaguely remember something of it from the Metal Gear Solid 3 boards on Gfaqs cause everyone wondered why that one guy who controls lightning kept saying "Kuwabara Kuwabara" over and over.

No; according to Japanese superstition, the mulberry tree is less likely to be struck by lightning than any other tree.

So the guy is probably saying that to protect himself from the dangerous ability that he is using.

And it's therefore also easy to see how it became a general incantation to ward off bad luck Smile

which is ironic because spoiler[he dies by being struck by lightning]
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
f2th wrote:

So what about some others?

Well, there's also "Ahiru" in Princess Tutu, although it's not really a subtle name Laughing
Cuprin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

They are also characters in Digimon

East: Seiryuu (Blue Dragon) - Qinglongmon (Azulongmon)
North: Genbu (Black Turtle) - Xuanwumon (Ebonwumon)
West: Byakko (White Tiger) - Baihumon
South: Suzaku (Red Sparrow/Phoenix) - Zhuqiaomon

and they also feature in the PS2 game Shadow Hearts.

Also the four "bosses" in the Nintendo Final Fantasy for the Gameboy.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Cuprin wrote:

Also the four "bosses" in the Nintendo Final Fantasy for the Gameboy.

they also made an appearance in Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins,l as i said earlier. they are the four lords of the burning dawn. they are:
Suzaku:the red sparrow
Seiryu:the blue dragon
Byakko:the white tiger
and Genbu:the green titan.
i never did find out why genbu is the green titan and not the green turtle.

all four also appeared in the rurouni kenshin manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone so amazed with the meaning behind Japanese names? It's not like they are the only ones to do it...

http://www.behindthename.com/usage.php

I mean off the top of my head:-
David - beloved
Peter - rock(as in reliable or trustworthy)
Abraham - Father

perhaps because we dont have different alphabetical systems it's slightly different but names meaning things is hardly a Japanese cultural thing.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
No, they aren't the first oe only ones to do it, however this is an anime site, which is works of Japanese fiction, not Hebrew or Greek fiction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4