• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Jetstream Soars to 9.5 Million Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
Still think they kind of screwed up the MAR dub(Spike Spencer does not make a good Ginta,in my view Mad ) but since I have dial up I can't see the shows but only hear them. I still think the can do better. Viz could add other shows to jetstream like Zatch Bell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:45 am; edited 3 times in total
domino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Good news. I hope they continue Prince of Tennis to the end, since that's the only thing I watch every week on the Jetstream site... even though the dub is so bad I cry a little with every episode. But the dub is so bad that it's FUNNY, so it holds my interest...
RezSav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
I know I'm one of those uniques, Hikaru is damn interesting!
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
SakunoEchizen wrote:
I think it's great that the site did well...that's a good sign for anime on the internet. And I must say that the Hikaru no Go dub is pretty decent...the voices aren't bad and the translation is good.

Thank you! You're the second person I've seen so far that didn't bash the vastly underrated Hikago dub.

But still bashed the servicable Prince of Tennis dub? I think the Prince of Tennis dub is quite good, personally. I'm looking forward to watching it on Jetstream, far more than I am in watching Hikaru no Go when it gets past the DVDs.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
This is great news,so maybe they can start showing new episode of Naruto before they premire
sirkozmo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
This is great news,so maybe they can start showing new episode of Naruto before they premire

Wishful thinking my comarade. I'm optimistic, but not likely. The subs will have to tide me over in the meantime....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SakunoEchizen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
SakunoEchizen wrote:
I think it's great that the site did well...that's a good sign for anime on the internet. And I must say that the Hikaru no Go dub is pretty decent...the voices aren't bad and the translation is good.

Thank you! You're the second person I've seen so far that didn't bash the vastly underrated Hikago dub.

I think it deserves to be commended in terms of dubbing...in the second episode they definitely said "onegaishimasu!" before beginning a game. It's a real credit to the ADR director to leave in the Japanese word and not translate it to some odd sounding English equivalent.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Well, obviously companies go with what gives them the best publicity. Not every show can make it onto TV because of executives worrying how the ratings will do, so they go for the next best thing, the internet. And I'm sure companies don't care about the low quality on the internet; in fact, I'm sure the low quality might be a motivation for people to pick up the better quality DVDs if they enjoy the show. If a low quality internet broadcast leads to the purchase of a higher quality DVD, I don't see why companies would be concerned.

Besides, if the show does well enough on the internet, it might end up on TV. Who knows?
Publicity, yes. I just always thought POT would have enough clout to not have to make its start on the internet.

GATSU wrote:
I'm guessing Viz will split the dvd profits with Toonami.

Interesting,

Toonami pays licensing companies to air shows on there site. Toonami gets paid by advertizers on said site. The bigger the site gets the more money advertizers will pay Toonami. Yet when DVD sales get big, licensures pay Toonami back (you say "split", which would mean 50/50, but I guarantee if this is true it would not be 50/50) there money and are esentially only making money from DVDs. Sweet deal for Toonami.

I know Toonami is the one taking a lot of the risks, mostly with the three premieres, but something about splitting the DVD sales doesn't float well with me. I guess Viz is helping with the site, as far as money goes, but I don't think they would be AD money. But "as far as money goes" is probably in the relaxation of fees, with the full intent that if this takes to start charging higher fees.

I am not saying you are wrong, I just don't see it as simply.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
SakunoEchizen wrote:

But still bashed the servicable Prince of Tennis dub? I think the Prince of Tennis dub is quite good, personally. I'm looking forward to watching it on Jetstream, far more than I am in watching Hikaru no Go when it gets past the DVDs.

Well, I'd love to be able to agree, or disagree, with you but due to lack of service in Canada, I can't see it at all. Evil or Very Mad

SakunoEchizen wrote:

I think it deserves to be commended in terms of dubbing...in the second episode they definitely said "onegaishimasu!" before beginning a game. It's a real credit to the ADR director to leave in the Japanese word and not translate it to some odd sounding English equivalent.
They did the same with sempai (senpai?). That one really came as a suprise to me. It became rather obvious to me why no childrens networks have picked it up for an afterschool block to replace the numorious "game" (for lack of a better word) animes; it's WAY too Japanese.
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Storm Princess wrote:
Wow. Well what did they exspect? I mean dubbed Anime + Internet x Legal & Free = a bunch of people wanting to watch it.

Heh, I would think it would be Free Anime times Legal divided by dubbed, but it seems the main stream came out for this.
ponlork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully with these numbers Toonami will re-consider airing some of these titles on Network Television. Especially Hikaru no Go
emory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
Hopefully with these numbers Toonami will re-consider airing some of these titles on Network Television. Especially Hikaru no Go

Hikaru No Go is already airing on ImaginAsian TV, so that's out of bounds.
ponlork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Well I wouldn't say that it's completely out of the picture. I've seen shows syndicated and aired simultaneously on another network before such as Cromartie High School, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Boogiepop Phantom, Serial Experiments Lain, Evangelion, Colorful, RahXephon, there was a time when fans used to say that ADV titles would never ever get aired on CN or G4 because of The Anime Network but that was proven false. Now unless I hear official word from CN indicating that they are incapable of airing Hikaru no Go because of licensing conflicts then I will take their word for it. But from the interviews I've read at panels concerning Toonami Jetstream it seems more like CN is just disinterested in airing any of these shows on TV. I don't consider ImaginAsian to be a large enough network where they couldn't negotiate a deal to have Hikaru no Go air on Toonami. But I could be wrong.

As for the poster who commented about Hikaru no Go being WAY too Japanese for American TV, I disagree with that. One of the appealing aspects in anime is that it doesn't follow the conventional storylines found in regular shows and that it's different from what Americans are typically used to seeing. So the cultural differences and settings found in anime might be so different that it becomes exotic and appealing to some viewers. Especially with movies like Spirited Away or series such as Naruto, part of the charm in those anime is the Asian characteristics.

I also don't agree that you have to be a fan of Go either to enjoy Hikaru no Go, that's one of the excuses I often hear from fans who refuse to give it a try. There are other elements in anime that can win the audience over and it doesn't always have to be centered around the main theme of the show. There are other aspects in film-making such as the characters, plot, the drama, art, music, acting, there are a lot of stuff to look at. So I always say to fans that you don't need to be a Basketball fan in order to like Slam Dunk, you don't need to enjoy tennis in order to like Prince of Tennis, heck you don't even have to be a fan of boxing to enjoy a movie such as Rocky or a anime like Hajime no Ippo. The Yu-Gi-Oh card game was completely made up, Go wasn't even a popular game in Japan when Hikaru came out so just because it isn't popular doesn't mean it won't work. Pokemon almost didn't make it to the U.S because executives were skeptical about it appealing to Americans.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuck. I watched Hikaru no Go, The Prince of Tennis, and MAR on the first day of the service, but I have not watched any of them since because the dubs were so freaking bad. Seriously, they were 4Kids quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3