• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo to End Production of Wii Console After 7 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexander55

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo hasn't been doing so well with the Wii U so I'm not surprised they are going to continue the original Wii line for many years to come.

One of the problems with the Wii-U is that it looks like an overpriced accessory for the original Wii. My grandparents themselves, which own a Wii, thought that was the case until I showed them a video of what it can do. Of course, they weren't that interested in it and were strongly content with the Wii they had.

Other problems the Wii U include its expensive price tag, the tablet controller that makes it not so to most gamers, and the lack of 3rd party support for the console.

The Wii U is an expensive overpriced console that doesn't look as casual/hardcore friendly as the Wii, its easy to see why the Wii U has become relatively niche and why so little 3rd party support for it exist. If the userbase of the console is small, why would third-party developers bother developing for it when they will not gain any profit?

Which comes back to the question at hand? Does the Wii-U truly stand a chance in the video game market? Not quite, and its easily outmatched by the PS4 and the predeceasing consoles but there a few things Nintendo can do to stand a chance in the competition.

1. Get rid of the Tablet screen controller and replace it with Wii mote and 1/2 standard controllers to decrease the price of the console.

2. Improve the system specs to compete a bit more with newer generation consoles.

3. Change the name of the brand. Rename the "Wii-U" into
the "Wii 2"

With all the changes above the Wii 2 should ultimately be around$200-250 max, and should strongly compete with the PS4/Xbox One. The point of the this is to get as many units onto households as possible, that way, the 3rd party support for the console would increase as the large userbase is there.

Unless Nintendo implements these changes, Super Smash Bros series or anything like that won't be enough to salvage the Wii-U's from its fate.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
So....PS2 still wins?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The Wii? The Wii alienated its older hardcore fanbase when they catered to the casual gamer market. It really feels like the Wii was nintendo's console swan song at this point. It peaked with the fickle players now it wants their old user base back? You do not get sympathy from the ones you turned your back on.

The Wii U single player control and HD visuals are something to behold, but misses the point of what nintendo did to capture the original fanbase and casuals attention. Multiplayer. Easy simple quick.

The WiiU? One touch screen per system? Use a Wii U mote for a second player? It's Fail, pure and simple.

Id be sad for the Wii but we will be plagued by those garbage games for another 10 years before they are out of circulation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2