• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion live action movie and possible trend-starter.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
jousha wrote:
opaquescum wrote:
I hate to say it but most comic book movies are bonafide money makers.

I agree. People forget too easily that making movies is a business: money is indeed an issue in what they dish out. But the same goes for other forms of entertainment as well. One shouldn't blame the industry when quality doesn't sell and Dukes of Hazard does.

This is what I'm afraid of. What sounds hopeful about Eva is the producer, writer or which ever one it is gave his word that they're not just trying to make a profit, but that may very well change or just be a lie.
goins007

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is what I'm afraid of. What sounds hopeful about Eva is the producer, writer or which ever one it is gave his word that they're not just trying to make a profit, but that may very well change or just be a lie.

I'm sure the movie studio investors didn't like hearing that!

Anyway, I don't really know which way i'm leaning on about this anime to live action thing. Some of these I'd love to see on the big screen, but then I wonder how are they going to capture what made me like the anime so much anyway...
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quote
If the live-action Eva movie ever is produced, I doubt it's going to start a trend of producing live-action versions of anime, but rather it'll be a part of an already existing trend of remaking Japanese films into American movies. Although no anime have received American live-action remakes yet, several Japanese films have already had their own successful American remakes, such as Ringu, Ju-on, and more recently Dark Waters. Whenever this Eva movie is released, I don't think people will look at it and say "ZOMG! It's a live-action remake of an annamay!", but rather I think people will look at it and say "Oh, it's another remake of a Japanese movie like The Ring" simply because most people just don't know what anime is. Not to mention this movie is being produced by ADV and they're not exactly a big Hollywood movie company like Fox or Dreamworks or Warner Bros. etc. I think more people will be more interested in who the hell these ADV folks they've never heard of before are than in producing more live-action remakes of anime. Depending on how successful it is, I think the live-action Eva movie will probably inspire more companies to produce American remakes of Japanese films in general rather than anime specifically.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AHZ

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sure, there were some real stinkers (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, anyone?) but there's no higher a percentage there than in the live-action genre in general.

Don't forget about Catwoman and The Punisher. I think the theatre should've paid me to see those, not the other way around.

I actually preferred the older Punisher movie to the new one, and Catwoman was just...horrible. Not even a scantily clad Halle Berry could save that one.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
Also if you look at Hollywood now its not only comic books they are turning too. Just books in general have been turned into movies so you can't just leave out mangas in the this discussion. The following are a list of books that have been turned into movies over the past while:

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
A Series Of Unfortunate Events
The DaVinci Code
Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
Cat In The Hat
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
so first read through I thought this was a japanese thing, till you guys made it more clear an AMERICAN company is making this live action movie...

I'm scared Shocked
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
No no its not being made by an american company. All we're saying is that maybe anime becoming live-action movies might be a trend like who books and comic-books becoming live-action movies in america is a recent trend.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jousha

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
All we're saying is that maybe anime becoming live-action movies might be a trend like how [sic] books and comic-books becoming live-action movies in america is a recent trend.

Books have always been made into films. That's no recent trend, that's common throughout film history.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'm with you Key, I liked the second X-Men as well and liked it more than the 1st actually. I do agree with some though that I wouldn't put Daredevil in the good column although I also personally enjoyed League of Extraordinary Gentleman and would put that in the debateable column. The bad column would certainly also contain the likes of Elektra and Catwoman and the third and fourth Batman series films.

As for Eva being a trend setter, I'm not so sure, the concept of making an anime into a domestic live action movie isn't a new one, it just hasn't really been realized often. A lot of movies have some form of source material though, that's an even older concept. From books, to cartoons, to legends and myth and so on, there's no reason anime shouldn't be excluded and as it rises to popularity it's reasonable to assume that it might become more common. You look back throughout the history of movies and you'll find that books and comics have always had their place in the industry long before recent times.

I think it hasn't really been touched much at this point since it's no secret the fanbase can be very critical of domestic anime based productions or any domestic involvement for some so that gives studio's cold feet as it's not a very appealing prospect to put money in to a production that already has an anti-fanbase before it's even made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I persoanlly think that live-action movies based on comic or anime series simply suck. They lose all their attraction, since we see the characters in a way that no real actor can even step the dust of their shoes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
I persoanlly think that live-action movies based on comic or anime series simply suck. They lose all their attraction, since we see the characters in a way that no real actor can even step the dust of their shoes.

Is that a proper expression? I don't get it at all.

Try watching some J-Drama. Ace wo Nerae, Attack No.1, Hana Yori Dango, GTO live action are only some of many Japanese live action based on manga/anime that have been huge hits in Japan. NANA (based on a manga) wasn't all that bad either.

/J-Drama daisuki. ^_^
jaybug39

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Superman from the 70s, Swamp Thing from the turn of that decade into the 80s. Don't forget those two. The problem with those two is that no one thought outside the box. They just ran the franchises into the ground, and made it difficult for anyone to try and make other films with different/other characters. They became too comic book. And I don't know what relation Troma studios had to do with killing the anime/comic book/graphic novel back then. Anyone see the Toxic Avenger?

And let us forget Judge Dredd.

Recently, how about The Road to Perdition, and A History of Violence, both made from graphic novels. Some serious star power on these films.

I think Hollywood feels secure now making live-actioin movies from non-traditional sources, as they make money, or have Oscar chatter about the projects. They may worry about giant robots, but as long as Peter Jackson's Weta workshops are doing it, they may not feel so insecure. But then King Kong was not a huge hit, so I bet they are back to really worrying.

Maybe they ought to greenlight some manga/anime titles that would not be so hard on the budget. Go high brow in other words. Haibane Renmei would be one example of lower budget, but high on the brow type. get Merchant Ivory productions to make a film.

Makes me wish I could win the lottery so I could show you what I mean Exclamation
Riyousha

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Also if you look at Hollywood now its not only comic books they are turning too. Just books in general have been turned into movies so you can't just leave out mangas in the this discussion. The following are a list of books that have been turned into movies over the past while:

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
A Series Of Unfortunate Events
The DaVinci Code
Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
Cat In The Hat
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Are these movies any good?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Southcross

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
didn't see/can't find one, you happen to have a link to a site(s) with more info about the EVA live action movie?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
anime#3123

Here's this site's page on it. It has links to Weta Workshop's page, and one unofficial page as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4