• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubs or Subtitles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
To me, it's all about the setting.

In eastern settings, such as Japan and most of Asia, I'd prefer subs. However, If the setting was in Europe or America, then I'd prefer dubs assuming that they are of high quality. Language should fit with the culture that the setting is trying to depict. Anime series such as Chrno Crusade or even non-anime shows like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon loses a lot of the feel when it's in the wrong language.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm indifferent. I watch and enjoy both; with the pros and cons that come with each, I like to get the best of both worlds. Niether is better nor worse than the other; and niether is more "original" than the other; it's all a matter of preference.

(Man, I sound like a broken record)
Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Enjeru wrote:

Well if you notice most companies like ADV use translators who are from Japan. Also most of the time part of the agreement for an anime to licensed in the US is the english script has top be aproved by the creators of the series.
Also, unless you are fluent in Japanese......how do you really know that the fansubbers are even right? I have only been taking Japanese for a little of 3 years and I can with my limited vocabulary I cn tell you that they are not even close to 100%.
In terms of cultural jokes, even people who have been watching anime for a while would not get these jokes. Thus minor changes are made to make the show flow smoother.
Again, I am not saying one is better than the other. I actually like subs and dubs about 50/50. There are a lot of shows where both are good, some where I don't like the dub, and some where I don't like the sub.
It's all about preference baby. Wink

I don't have to be fluent in Japanese; I'm fluent in Korean. Most words I can immediately recognize its derivative in Chinese then translate into Korean. An example I gave before was "unmei" which means "fate" in Japanese. In Korean, it's "un myoung", with the "un" part pronounced exactly the same. I also deduce which Japanese word spoken refers to which english text given by eliminating common words. That's how I'm currently learning more words right now. I hope this is enough bragging to convince you that I know enough to say that the fansubbers are doing a fantastic job, if not a perfect job, in comparison to dubs. I can go and browse through anime dubs, find specific scenes where phrases are lacking translation or mistranslated, and give an entire list of examples. But even without all that I'm sure there are people who agree with me, because they've experienced the same thing.

I'm not taking into account the matter of preference for subs or dubs; I am simply presenting what I've experienced from my viewing of anime in both sub and dub from an objective view. I posted my opinionated view of dubs vs subs in my first post.

As for cultural references, I believe I already said that I'm not talking about Americanization.

More:

So why would companies like ADV hire translators from Japan when the audience are American who are more fluent in English? Is it really that hard to organize a system that would allow a better translation, when fansub groups have been doing the exact same thing? I'm not really looking for an answer here, it'd be the wrong place unless a representative of one of the dubbing companies visited here. But I think it was worth mentioning that dub translations are often poor compared to fansubs, when dub translators are getting paid to do so while fansubbers are not.

Well from my experience when I took my first semester in Japanese I had 4 students who were from Korea.....and they said the 2 have very little in common. If you are refering to Kanji, yes Japan uses Chinese characters for their Kanji. However most of the time the translation and even the way it is pronounced is way different. Like I stated before, I have 3 years of Japanese under my belt and can understand about 3/4 of an episode(rough estimation) without the use of any subtitles. I am sorry to say that fansubbers make mistakes too. More often than most people will ever know.
Another thing you need to take into consideration is the english script has to match the mouth flaps. Even at the cost of the sentence being altered in a small way. What we are really talking about is a very small difference between the english and japanese translation. It is not nearly the huge gulf that most make it out to be.
To answer your question as to why fansubbers dont get paid, its because it is illegal to fansub and send it out to be downloaded. While I know most people don't care about this, I do. Everytime someone downloads a series and refuses to pay for it when it becomes avalible for purchase, it hurts not only the american anime industry, but the japanese as well.
In no way am I trying to say that anyone who likes sub over dub is wrong in their thinking. However when people start talking about which is more "true".....unless you are fluent in Japanese, dub and sub are going to have their mistakes and will never be 100%.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I used to be very much in favor of subtitling only but in recent years there have been some very good dubs. I enjoy Furi Kuri either way and love the voices equally. I also think Chris (dead pan delivery) Patton nailed the Sousuke character in Full Metal Panic. Sometimes I think the setting can affect which one I prefer. Hellsing sounds better with the British accents and in Chrono Crusade I feel the Satella character makes a lot more sense with her German accent intact. I don't mind the fact that Ghibli has dub tracks on the new releases but I have an issue with how Billy Crystal handles Calcifer - too much "cracking wise" for me. In Steamboy I do not really have a problem with Patrick Stewart doing "Lloyd Steam" but I cringed at the extra interviews with him and Anna Paquin. I think the word "Japanime" was mentioned. I confess I have had a problem with him since the last Trek film ("best work we as a cast have done to date") - HA! I understand the thinking behind casting big names in the "Big" films but maybe the people who have been doing regular dubbing in the past few years would come off better simply because they have more experience with anime. Concerning Sailor Moon I wish I had bought the dub versions of season 1 and 2 as well. I prefer the subbed version (which I bought) but I do miss those English voices at times.

V me
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
So why would companies like ADV hire translators from Japan when the audience are American who are more fluent in English? Is it really that hard to organize a system that would allow a better translation, when fansub groups have been doing the exact same thing? I'm not really looking for an answer here, it'd be the wrong place unless a representative of one of the dubbing companies visited here. But I think it was worth mentioning that dub translations are often poor compared to fansubs, when dub translators are getting paid to do so while fansubbers are not.
Well, as one of those volunteer college students who cranks out fansub translations, I'll indirectly accept that praise (even though I'm one of the ones who's not 100% accurate, because I don't know enough yet Embarassed ) Even with fansubs, we still have to do quite a bit of adaptation to make a coherent and interesting subtitle script. Dubs suffer from more problems, like the need for the dub dialogue to match mouth movements and the need for it to be more natural/flowing English compared to subtitle scripts.
But, I believe you that things are left out/mistranslated/"de-culturized" at times in English dubs, and in R1 DVD subtitles as well. As for translators being native Japanese or English speakers, I think most companies have subtitle script writers that edit and adapt the translation to flow better in English, just like the ADR script writer adapts it for spoken English. It would be nice if dubs were more faithful, but I think it's market conditions and not translation failures that cause the problems. The companies probably believe that dub fans aren't ready for fansub-style translation (honorifics and titles left in Japanese, such as senpai/sensei/oniisan/etc.), so they focus on making the English natural and accessible. And honestly, most dub fans aren't the obsessive type (like me) and don't watch dubs with subtitles on to "catch" differences.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This topic (or something being derailed and turning into it) comes up at least once a month:

March, February, January, December, November, October, September...

September is rather amusing since, if you read my edit, the whole reason the arguement started was actually completely pointless. My opinion about this can be read on other threads I linked to, but generally I like subs better then dubs.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Enjeru wrote:

Well from my experience when I took my first semester in Japanese I had 4 students who were from Korea.....and they said the 2 have very little in common. If you are refering to Kanji, yes Japan uses Chinese characters for their Kanji. However most of the time the translation and even the way it is pronounced is way different. Like I stated before, I have 3 years of Japanese under my belt and can understand about 3/4 of an episode(rough estimation) without the use of any subtitles. I am sorry to say that fansubbers make mistakes too. More often than most people will ever know.
Another thing you need to take into consideration is the english script has to match the mouth flaps. Even at the cost of the sentence being altered in a small way. What we are really talking about is a very small difference between the english and japanese translation. It is not nearly the huge gulf that most make it out to be.
To answer your question as to why fansubbers don't get paid, its because it is illegal to fansub and send it out to be downloaded. While I know most people don't care about this, I do. Everytime someone downloads a series and refuses to pay for it when it becomes avalible for purchase, it hurts not only the american anime industry, but the japanese as well.
In no way am I trying to say that anyone who likes sub over dub is wrong in their thinking. However when people start talking about which is more "true".....unless you are fluent in Japanese, dub and sub are going to have their mistakes and will never be 100%.

I don't know what kind of Koreans you met (frankly put, fob or twinkie) but indeed, the two countries are extremely different from geography to culture. However, you're severly mistaken if you think Koreans have not influenced as much as the Chinese in creating the Japanese language. Pronounced different? Do you know the fact that both languages are syllable based, in which there are more syllables possible in Korean than in Japanese, and with the exception of the "z" pronounciation, the Korean language can exactly reproduce every Japanese syllable? I would not be exaggerating if I claimed that the easiest foreign language a Korean can learn is Japanese.

My point was not that fansub translations are 100%/perfect. I don't know what in my writing makes you misunderstand this. I am comparing the quality of translation between fansub and dub and I am saying the quality of the fansubs are, most of the time, better. Did this imply that fansub translations are perfect in any way?

Ah! A reasonable point to mention mouth flaps. But are you saying this knowing the fact that some dubs do not replicate the dub subtitles? I'm guessing this is due to different companies doing the subtitles and scripting/voice acting. But if the voices aren't going to replicate the subtitles, why not make the subtitles better?

I never asked why fansubbers didn't get paid, where did you get that?

PantsGoblin wrote:

This topic (or something being derailed and turning into it) comes up at least once a month:

This is the first and probably the only time I'll ever seriously get into a dub vs sub. And while I'm at it, I intend to be as objective as I can get. Because I really don't care about other's preferences. ^_^
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Well, as one of those volunteer college students who cranks out fansub translations, I'll indirectly accept that praise (even though I'm one of the ones who's not 100% accurate, because I don't know enough yet :oops: ) Even with fansubs, we still have to do quite a bit of adaptation to make a coherent and interesting subtitle script. Dubs suffer from more problems, like the need for the dub dialogue to match mouth movements and the need for it to be more natural/flowing English compared to subtitle scripts.
But, I believe you that things are left out/mistranslated/"de-culturized" at times in English dubs, and in R1 DVD subtitles as well. As for translators being native Japanese or English speakers, I think most companies have subtitle script writers that edit and adapt the translation to flow better in English, just like the ADR script writer adapts it for spoken English. It would be nice if dubs were more faithful, but I think it's market conditions and not translation failures that cause the problems. The companies probably believe that dub fans aren't ready for fansub-style translation (honorifics and titles left in Japanese, such as senpai/sensei/oniisan/etc.), so they focus on making the English natural and accessible. And honestly, most dub fans aren't the obsessive type (like me) and don't watch dubs with subtitles on to "catch" differences.

Yes, the market conditions indeed could cause problems and influence the translation of dub subtitles by making them more English-oriented. But like I said, my argument is not about cultural differences (honorifics) or anything of that sort. I'm talking about extreme cases where I saw, for example, dub subtitles translate a phrase that merely implied something and put in text as if it were already done, as if out of laziness, or cases where entire phrases were left untranslated because it was deemed unimportant. I guess some examples are in order... But I'm using my laptop right now. T.T

I've also seen cases where either a narration or important text is not subtitled because the subtitles only show one of either at a time. Meaning that some parts were not subtitled at all.

Oh, how about names of shop stores or other significant signs written in Japanese? I've rarely seen those translated in dubs either.

This is more off topic but I'm curious to know: Has anyone seen the dub for Genshiken? I wonder if the dubs try to clarify any of the uncommon words used in that series. If it weren't for a certain fansub's dedication to explain every single anime/otaku-like reference in that series, I would've dismissed it as a boring Comic Party 2nd season look-a-like.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
This is more off topic but I'm curious to know: Has anyone seen the dub for Genshiken? I wonder if the dubs try to clarify any of the uncommon words used in that series. If it weren't for a certain fansub's dedication to explain every single anime/otaku-like reference in that series, I would've dismissed it as a boring Comic Party 2nd season look-a-like.

There's an insert commentary that clarifies some of the stuff in Genshiken (mainly specific references to anime/video game series and not really the cultural references as much). There wasn't one for the third volume though for some reason. The dub itself doesn't really explain that much. For me, it wasn't really needed that much though since I was able to understand and/or knew most of the references in the series. I've been to Akiba and conventions in Japan and I think Genshiken does a superb job at realistically representing the otaku life style in Japan, better then Comic Party. Only thing it leaves out is the internet, but hopefully the second season will be able to make up for that.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
greatdevourer wrote:
Subs where necessery, as most dubs are awful

See, now that's just your biased opinion.

greatdevourer wrote:
(but some are OK. What I don't understand is when the subs and the dubs are completely different...)

The reason the subs and dubs are different because of the translations. For example, a character might say, "What the hell is that?" In the Japanese version, it's fine, but in the dub, some words have to be added to make sure the dialogue doesn't end before or after the shot changes. In the end, "What the hell is that?" might be changed to, "What in the hell is that thing?" in the dub. And FYI, the English subtitles on R1 DVDs follow the Japanese script, not the English one, unless they're dubtitles, the subtitles that DO follow the English script. However, these are very rare.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:

A) I've also seen cases where either a narration or important text is not subtitled because the subtitles only show one of either at a time. Meaning that some parts were not subtitled at all.

B) Oh, how about names of shop stores or other significant signs written in Japanese? I've rarely seen those translated in dubs either.

C) This is more off topic but I'm curious to know: Has anyone seen the dub for Genshiken? I wonder if the dubs try to clarify any of the uncommon words used in that series. If it weren't for a certain fansub's dedication to explain every single anime/otaku-like reference in that series, I would've dismissed it as a boring Comic Party 2nd season look-a-like.

A) True, especially on some Media-Blasters discs where the disc authoring is lazy and uses .srt subtitle formats Evil or Very Mad

B) Depends on the series and the company; ADV and Rightstuf tend to translate more signs (i.e. Super Gals, His & Her Circumstances), while other do it on an "as needed" basis--I've seen that signs often aren't translated if the characters say what's on them, like in My-Hime, episode 4 where we see a Curry Bread package (untranslated), and a few moments later, a guy talks about his Curry Bread being stolen. Either they're lazy, or they think a sign translation is redundant. Then again, some fansubs cheat the fans as well, like with Kanon spoiler[where one fansub group didn't translate the hospital room sign that said "Tsukimiya Ayu" in the last episode (which is an important plot point because the sign reveals that Ayu is still alive), and instead put a note saying, "The Staff feel that you'll enjoy this episode more if you don't know what this sign means."]

C) Okay, this may make me sound bad, but I have no intention of buying the DVDs for Genshiken, because I can't find any evidence in the packaging or reviews that MB makes any effort to explain the references and otaku-isms. Sorry, but for a fandom-intensive / parody / satire series like Genshiken, extra notes should be mandatory. Whatever one's feelings are about the content of Comic Party, Rightstuf's presentation of it is one of the most thorough and detailed R1 releases that I've ever seen. If Genshiken had had a Comic Party-like treatment, I would have gladly bought the DVDs, but as it stands, I'm sticking to the fansubs.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
This thread is actually pretty tame for now. No one is really debating, and more so just stating their opinions or discussing the elements of dubbing/subbing.

It's been over a month since the last one, so I'll allow this for now. However, if I see any post that turns this into a debate/flame war, I will lock it immediately.

For those of you who are sick of this topic, I apologize, so please ignore it if you are bothered.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I started doing subs, just for something different. And I am able to appreciate the diffeerence. So mostly I am going to be doing the reading from now on.

However I tried that with GITS 2nd Gig, and it was hopeless. There was just too much dialog and too much going on visually for me to be able to keep up with it all. So I went to the dubbed version. And I actually like the dubbed Aramaki's voice better. It seems to fit his face more to me. And the other english speaking voices seem to work very well with their faces. And I do think this show is the exception to the rule.
Fui

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I prefer subs. Except there is one exception to this: Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm JP so that might be why I prefer the sound of most anime it in its "original" context, but I found Edward's voice in Japanese to be somewhat annoying. It's like he's trying to sound too cool. Actually the voice is rather similar to Hitsugaya-tacho's (in Bleach), but Hitsugaya is less annoying. I don't know if it's whether the JP dub is bad (well everyone is fine except Ed) or the NA dub is good, but in any case, the NA version is easier on the ears for me. So I'm not sure if I don't like the fact that it's dubbed or I just don't like the voice actors.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Speaking slighty OT for a second:

PantsGoblin wrote:

March, February, January, December, November, October, September...

September is rather amusing since, if you read my edit, the whole reason the arguement started was actually completely pointless. My opinion about this can be read on other threads I linked to, but generally I like subs better then dubs.

I rather liked the October, December, and March arguments (not because I did some of my best arguing Rolling Eyes) because you saw some of the staunchest figures from both sides (some picked none) - Keonyn, Ohoni, Starwind Amada, Steroid, Azathrael, DemonEyesLeo, Zalis116, PantsGoblin, and a few mods just going AT IT. I had some memorable shots, but they were just firing roundhouses back and forth to the point I contemplated setting up some mass interview for my site just to get their mass opinions in an article. Great stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6