• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Fans Get Ready for Anime Series Finale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pantsmca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
atunderdogk wrote:
The only reason I started watching this show was because all of the hype that's been surrounding it. I've gotten 2 1/2 episodes in and although I will admit it's darker than I might have taken it for, I fail to see why this is as big as it is. Can anyone tell me if I'm not "there" yet in the show or if this is something that people automatically go crazy over.

Wait until the end of episode 3...just don't get too ahead of yourself.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
That is so cool.

Does anyone know exactly what time in Japan they'll be airing?

The first channel to air both 11 and 12 just finished airing around 10 minutes ago. The next set is going on right now starting with episode 10, followed by 11 and 12.

I find it weird how this article was made right when Madoka started airing though since you can't "get ready" if it's already airing. I'm not sure how Japan's television works, but I assume that the channels are common/available throughout the different cities/prefectures though.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I never understood the apparent popularity of Madoka Magica, but then I read the synopsis and thought "Ohh, so it's like they're almost poking fun at the genre... wait a minute. Crap, I came up with an idea for something almost like this a while ago!"

Well, I guess that explains why their outfits look so generic.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
atunderdogk wrote:
The only reason I started watching this show was because all of the hype that's been surrounding it. I've gotten 2 1/2 episodes in and although I will admit it's darker than I might have taken it for, I fail to see why this is as big as it is. Can anyone tell me if I'm not "there" yet in the show or if this is something that people automatically go crazy over.

Call me when you finish episode 3, then we can talk.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
And to their surprise........ It was a huge disappointment!! xDD Naw but seriously ann, what in the world are you doing posting crap like this??
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
ANN has been posting "Interest" articles for awhile now.

Have you been hiding under a rock?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
This is now jumping from the realm of fan to fanatic.
Kinda like the difference between sports fans and sports fanatics. Laughing
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Maryohki wrote:
That is so cool.

Does anyone know exactly what time in Japan they'll be airing?

The first channel to air both 11 and 12 just finished airing around 10 minutes ago. The next set is going on right now starting with episode 10, followed by 11 and 12.

I find it weird how this article was made right when Madoka started airing though since you can't "get ready" if it's already airing. I'm not sure how Japan's television works, but I assume that the channels are common/available throughout the different cities/prefectures though.

eh? Japanese channels vary from region to region, which is why the show was already finished on one station and yet to air on another for several days, and why people were busing in to other regions just to watch it.

Anyway, I love PMMM but I fail to see the point of the ad Laughing Just to be in-your-face, I guess. It's not like someone who hasn't been watching the series could pick up now and know what's going on.

It's just curiosity, but I wonder which factions of these fans are going to these extremes-- the women who grew up with magical girl shows and are loving the deconstruction, or the middle-aged lolicons?
Guess I shouldn't ask Rolling Eyes

Also I guess there are some lolicons enjoying the deconstruction too Cool
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

Yeah, namely deconstruction of the girls' clothing.
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Saturn wrote:

Yeah, namely deconstruction of the girls' clothing.

or they would, if that actually happened outside the OP Laughing
Niyari

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Dang that's crazy.

Also it's good to see that there are still "cool" people who feel the need to go against the grain because of how well received a show is Laughing
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
atunderdogk wrote:

miogrin.jpg ...what a clever troll...

And if not a troll ... watch all the way to the end of Ep3 and if you don't want to watch more then, so be it.

About the last ep and ending:
spoiler[I think it's funny how they aired the episodes on Good Friday (JST) given how the show ends with Madoka... touche SHAFT, touche. ]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ROFL. Thanks for the laugh.

Great to see I was not the only one to find the humor in this. Good times indeed.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I never understood the apparent popularity of Madoka Magica, but then I read the synopsis and thought "Ohh, so it's like they're almost poking fun at the genre... wait a minute. Crap, I came up with an idea for something almost like this a while ago!"

Well, I guess that explains why their outfits look so generic.

I think "Poking Fun" at the Genre is the wrong way to describe it. The Scream movies fit that description more the way they poke fun at the tropes of horror movies and lampshade a lot of it. Obviously that is live action but fits all the same. The closest anime example I can think of off the top of my head might be Haruhi Suzumiya which pokes at the Otaku Culture. I guess I might be missing the point.

Madoka is pretty straight laced and not much satire against. It is a deconstruct of magical girl shows, this much is true, and it's far darker than just about any magical girl show I can think of. Though I've never seen Nanoha so can't comment on the nature of that show.
evaunit01berserk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
atunderdogk wrote:
I've gotten 2 1/2 episodes in .

YOU LIE!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3