• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dragon's Crown

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
That's it. I'm sick of it.

Anyone who brings up the art in the game as distasteful is pathetic.

You can't form a single thought in your own head without jumping on the bandwagon.

Ban me Zac. I'm done.

Bravely dying on the cross for your opinion about a videogame, truly your name will be remembered for the ages. Your apostles will spread the word of your sacrifice so humanity may become cleansed.

I do like how even mentioning this game's most controversial aspect is cause now for people to just spin out of control. Writing a review without even mentioning the character designs is irresponsible, and surely you can go elsewhere for a review that contains a full-throated "literally anyone who has a problem with these character designs is Hitler incarnate" argument.

For the record, I'm buying this game because it looks like fun.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Apparently making the usual "drawn by an adolescent boy" comment about extremely boob intense female characters is a terribly provoking comment.

I'm glad Geroge K had thicker skin then some of his fans, because that was oh so offensive.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
My only thought is really to wonder why this has suddenly exploded as an issue with this specific game.

To an extent its good the conversation is being had, I'm just completely baffled by how the internet collectively decided that this was the game to have it about.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Kotaku randomly reported on it, people I disagree with politically got extra-mad, here we are.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
The character designs kill it for me. Even if you could get past the gross aspects (and I'm not saying I can or will), those designs are just hideous. I'm a bit art guy, so stuff like that can be really off-putting.

Reibooi wrote:
This whole art this is annoying me pretty good. So many reviews are complaining about it and there is no reason for it. Yes the women are hyper sexualized but so are the men. The women have big breasts and the men all have insanely over the top amounts of muscles.

A scantily clad beefy dude does not signify the same thing in our culture as a scantily clad woman with huge breasts. One depiction is dis-empowering and objectifying, the other one isn't.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
My only thought is really to wonder why this has suddenly exploded as an issue with this specific game.

To an extent its good the conversation is being had, I'm just completely baffled by how the internet collectively decided that this was the game to have it about.

The amount of attention this particular game has gotten probably CAN be blamed on Kotaku to an extent. They went beyond just criticizing and got.... rather unprofessional about it, insulting the artist. Then Kamitani responded.

It also may be the fact that it's a somewhat major release... and it's Japanese, which brings in other issues.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The character designs kill it for me. Even if you could get past the gross aspects (and I'm not saying I can or will), those designs are just hideous. I'm a bit art guy, so stuff like that can be really off-putting.

Looks like you didn't read one word of what I just said, did you?

Quote:
Screed from last page or something

Quote:
What does art, graphics or visuals have to do with the controls or level design? Seriously. Super Mario Bros had pretty lame graphics, visuals and art, but was still an amazing game. Why are "gamers" of today so shallow? Art has nothing to do with a game's worth. Yeah, art matters in animation, but not in games. Do you consider Deadly Towers to be a superior game to Legend of Zelda? Because if the worth of a game is ranked by unimportant aesthetics, that would mean Deadly Towers is superior to LOZ in every way, by your "logic." Do you expect all games to have Beauty and the Beast level art/visuals? Seriously. Think about it.

I can understand if art in animation puts you off, but this is a bloody video game. Where that shit means nothing.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Looks like you didn't read one word of what I just said, did you?

No one reads anything you say, Tenjin.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
For the record, I'm buying this game because it looks like fun.

I'm buying this game because Zac is buying it. Oh, and because I think some of the girls look pretty hot. Razz
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude Why are you so hostile towards me, Chris? I'm just stating a simple fact about games and how bad/good art=/=bad/good game. The controls and game itself do.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@Fencedude Why are you so hostile towards me, Chris? I'm just stating a simple fact about games and how bad/good art=/=bad/good game. The controls and game itself do.

...Chris?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

Please find a review that only reviewed it based on the art and said it was a bad game just because of that.

Art and presentation of the characters is still a part of the game and it does matter.

But of course, this is nothing new, this is the same thing you railed about at me on Twitter in relation to voices.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

I can understand if art in animation puts you off, but this is a bloody video game. Where that shit means nothing.

The key word in that is video though. Art kinda means a lot. If we were just talking about some lowly text based game or a board game, you can skate by with that argument but video? Something that has to be presented to you with some type of art in order to convey the story and actually let you play it? I have to strongly disagree with your assessment.
I don't care about graphics and all that but I know it's an important part of the entertainment medium. Without it, it'd essentially be like my copy of Evolution 2 on the Dreamcast: A black screen with only audio playing.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:

...Chris?

I was told that was your name, but whatever. Why do you attack my views on anime and games? I have been watching anime an playing video games before you were born. You can criticize my choices, but you're not doing that. You're bashing and attacking me, for my views. Why is that? I think people are being shallow douches towards this game and I defend things, which don't deserve hate for stupid reasons.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Loved Odin Sphere, though it sucks there's not much context in D. Crown...

Eh, I'm just taking everything as a 80's/90's nostalgia flashback when it comes to the art discrepancies, but, really, just rank up that difficulty so you'll look at the enemy and not the character. Works every time.

That aside, I just know Redbox will never have this so I'm screwed over on playing this game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18