• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX on Miguzi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, in terms of the Japanese version, the first episode was pretty unexciting itself, with the only things moderately interesting being Professor Chronos and the train borking. (Yes, I find that amusing, considering it's a Japanese program)
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Agreed, but where were these jokes?

That whole running gag with Cronos getting pissed about being called Mr. or Mrs. was funny.

...eh, didn't watch much past that.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
>_>

<_<

I spy a pot.

Now, will the GX episodes at 10:30 be the ones from that day or the day before?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
>_>

<_<

I spy a pot.

Now, will the GX episodes at 10:30 be the ones from that day or the day before?

10:30?

What day(s)?
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Funny enough, I'm watchng it now. I think I really like the original better, since I've gotten used to the characters. Now I have to get used to a whole new cast of a freak show, regardless of whether I want to watch it or not, because it'll be the next thing I hear around little kids. Ew.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, here's something nobody talks about: once again, 4Kids proves how good they are at splicing together opening animation. They really do a good job of using the old OP, eyecatches and whatnot. Very cool.

However, I don't like how they are pushing the tempo of the duels, and their new graphics seem really out of place.

Of course, I also believe that they stopped thinking up real names years ago. Wink
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I was actually rather impressed by GX. When I first read and heard about it, I didn't really want to watch it. I'm just happy they got rid of the annoying 'D-d-d-duel!' opening theme song. The new theme isn't so bad. I too, like the way they splice an opening animation.

I still miss the old characters, though… but maybe I'll watch GX after all. But I don't think it's just the dub making some episodes seem 'unexciting.' I think the series is a little unexciting in itself. The first series was really interesting because it was about a pharaoh seeking his lost memories, but the new series doesn't have a half-as-interesting plot. I mean, a dueling academy?
kittykatmeow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
At first I didn't care about dub GX, but now I'm hooked on it. The theme music is actually pretty awesome and catchy that I sing it randomly. I got used to their names and the way they talk, etc. If you think the plot is boring, this is only the beginning, and besides, they're in school so they get school problems. Since this show is shown after kids get out of school, they can watch other people go through hell, too. Wink
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't dig the names (cept Alexis. I'll let that one go) and it's kinda disturbing how all the guys sound the same (save for the ones with lousy accents) but it's still passable.

I'm certainly interested in how the modifcations will progress, especially with Hayato/Chumley's dad and Sho/Sai's little fantasies Wink
kittykatmeow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I don't dig the names (cept Alexis. I'll let that one go) and it's kinda disturbing how all the guys sound the same (save for the ones with lousy accents) but it's still passable.

I'm certainly interested in how the modifcations will progress, especially with Hayato/Chumley's dad and Sho/Sai's little fantasies Wink

Yeah... 4Kids recycles VAs a lot...

They let that one part when Sirius thought about him and Alexis after he got that fake love letter go.
hizel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Yay. Yu Gi Oh Is the greatest anime ever in the history of civilization.

You deserve an applause Really you do. (clap clap)
I highly disagree with the yay part about GX and I wouldn't go as far as saying that about Yugioh, but it is my favorite anime

I don't really want to start watching Yugioh GX it almost looks worse than the horrible dub of the original series, which I didn't like. But then, a completely different side of me wants to record all the new episodes on the DVR and watchthem on the weekend no matter how much I don't want to. I think I just see it as a threat to my perfect original Duel monsters series. I need to work on being a lot more open minded toward new things, I really want to be careful of that, but I'm really reluctant to. Give me a break, I'm 13. I definitely want to learn more about the new series.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
hizel wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Yay. Yu Gi Oh Is the greatest anime ever in the history of civilization.

You deserve an applause Really you do. (clap clap)
I highly disagree with the yay part about GX and I wouldn't go as far as saying that about Yugioh, but it is my favorite anime
I'm pretty sure at least one of you is being sarcastic, but I stink at this kind of thing.
Sage Shinigami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind he DID say he was thirteen. Smile

As far as GX goes...being that I never think I'm "too old" for something I watched and enjoyed it. I'm not looking for some thought-provoking ideas and dialogue from this show--just dueling, and lots of it! So you could say I got what I wanted.

Things I like:
The short, one episode duels. (I'd REALLY gotten tired of Yu-Gi-Oh's five to six episode duels--fun as they were.)
The fact that Yuki isn't a wuss that has to learn to stand up for himself, like Yugi started out as. (It was decent the first time--would've been stupid the second time.)
The new cards, of course.
The school settings.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, if I read my episode titles correctly, no duel in the first season (52 episodes) lasts more than 2 episodes. Alas, there are about a dozen 2-parters.

Anyway, my interest will really perk up next monday.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:36 am Reply with quote
Did you just say first season? And 52 episodes? I wonder how long this is going to be. Oy.

And yes, I really don't thik there should be a "too old" for most things. I still show an interest in Digimon occasionally. I used to watch it way back when...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3