• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HENNEKO Author: Anime's Foreign Product Placement to Be Removed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
How popular was the show anyway?

If it was going to flop anyway, this is irrelevant and simply another example of nationalists ranting about a big dump of nothing.

Its projected to sell pretty well for a show of its type, probably about 6-8k range before this scandal. Its dropped a little bit after this but its jumped back up in the rankings after the authors statement.

Oh, so it was a big dump of nothing.

Thanks for the info.
Kastel

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
As long as Tsukiko does not eat kimchi, all is well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So otakus in Japan are mad that a K-pop boyband, Infinite is advertising itself on the manga, yet this is the same Japan that won't export J-dramas and J-pop outside of Asia to compete with Korea on the international level. Japan had opportunities to take over the Korean Wave and create a Japanese Wave if they had exported J-drama and heavily promoted J-pop outside of Asia but no they miss that opportunity and look what happen, South Korea is now the "new Japan" and now there are more tourists going to Korea then Japan all because of K-drama and K-pop. Somebody tell these same otakus that Japan doesn't have the title "cultural superpower" anymore, that title is now belong to South Korea. Japan used to have that title because of anime/manga but now because K-drama and K-pop creating the hallyu/Korean Wave now, that and Japan didn't export J-pop and J-drama outside of Japan/Asia to keep Korea at bay, instead Korea is now beating Japan on the international level on pop culture export. Now Super Junior and Girls Generation are more famous then EXILE and AKB48 worldwide. As Ushio said, the hallyu is causing backlashes in some places in Asia like Japan. I remember reading an article about bunch of right-wing Japanese nuts throwing anti-Korean protests and death threats against Koreans living in Japan. I wonder how they'll react when more Japanese women are wanting to marry Korean man according to this report. Hey it's Winter Sonata popularity, K-pop boybands, and the rise of Herbivore man in Japan that is leading to Japanese women marrying Korean men (and non-Japanese men). How do the same otakus react when they find out that SDN48 now have a Korean member. Not to look down on Japan but removing K-pop products from anime/manga is just ridiculous when Girls Generation, KARA, and TVXQ/DBSK/Tohoshinki are super popular in Japan. Why can't otaku be more open-minded?? Mad Crying or Very sad

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Do these things really impact sales by thousands? Over here you got swarms of people vowing to boycott Fez and Shadow Complex. Fez because they think the creator is a jerk and Shadow Complex because they don't agree with Orson Scott Card's views on homosexuals. Both those games were pretty big hits regardless. Granted, anime is a smaller pool than games.

Hits are easy to figure out but what about flops?

If the show fails then nationalists will go around thinking that they did, when it could just be the case that the show simply wasn't that popular or just outright sucked.

Against stupidity, the gods themselves...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The author made the right comments here to prevent hurting its sales. The otaku were quite upset over this but it seems like a lot of the anger has subsided since he made this statement.

Yay, let's coddle racists and let them control media!

Please look at what you are saying. You're saying Otaku have every right to be racist twats.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Sometimes people can be irrational.

At least it's not Pizza Hut.
Kastel

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sometimes people can be irrational.

At least it's not Pizza Hut.

JIBUN WO SEKAI SAE MO KAETE SHIMAESOU NA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
first of all, Pet girl was a terrible show

it had a large advertisement backing and even got a PSP game
however, what it all comes down to is the anime was bad
for comparison, nichijou also sold very bad, because it was also a bad show in the same genre without having any korean advertisements.

second of all, overweight japanese otaku trolls have lived on for many years. they complain for the sole reason to complain.
the amazon reviews are a joke, they do this alot, it also happened with final fantasy online, you would have to be foolish to take them seriously. The japanese culture is indeed nationalistic and borderline racist but I don't believe that has anything to do with the sales of a bad show.

what I think the bigger issue here is the loss of control and loss of licensing fees and such. now it looks like the company supports these ads or at least approved them. anyway, that's what they get for outsourcing cheap labor to another country.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

however, what it all comes down to is the anime was bad
for comparison, nichijou also sold very bad, because it was also a bad show in the same genre without having any korean advertisements.

In a single post, you have managed to not only claim that Sakurasou and Nichijou are the "same genre", but also that anime which sell poorly do so solely because they are "bad".
Congratulations! You win the stupid award.
Kastel

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
anyway, that's what they get for outsourcing cheap labor to another country.

yeah man this never happened to any other anime
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Alexander55 wrote:
I don't get what's the big deal with this. I mean, its just a harmless Kpop self-insert. The Koreans do help animate a good majority of Anime, so I don't see why they shouldn't put it there.

Its just a harmless teaser and nothing to make a big deal out of. People these days..

No big deal? Look at the reviews on amazon.co.jp:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00CBSF7MU

23/34 reviews so far are 1/5 stars because of this!

最近の韓国推しにはうんざりしているというのにアニメにまで韓国ネタを散りばめるのはやめていただきたいです

韓国 is Korea.

This is the same thing that happened to Sakurasou:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009HGNR62

190/270 reviews are 1/5 stars. Selling 2000/volume. Sucks! :'(

Bad reviews because of this silliness and it will affect sales believe it or not.

All this does is reinforce the validity of chagen42's statements, which are true, by the way. At least he has the balls to say it straight out.

Kastel wrote:
As long as Tsukiko does not eat kimchi, all is well.

Ever try kimchi soup? My first trip to Korea, i tried some - at breakfast- seems they have kimchi in some form or another at every meal.

It smelled innocent enough, but it had enough stealth pepper, that i had to eat almost an entire loaf of bread with it. My fellow Soldiers were laughing when i took my first sip, but I would be damned if they were going to finish theirs and me not finish mine, so i sucked it up and after all that bread i got it down. I think i was spitting fire out both ends that day. Razz

Last edited by guildmaster on Mon May 06, 2013 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote
It is difficult to say after the fact. Sakurasou may have sold the same or even less because of it but it sure looks like there were 200 people who certainly didn't buy it because of what they did; would they have bought it anyways? Maybe not. There are other shows I like which sold as poorly as worse and they had no Korean fiascos.

As you mention, HenNeko has shot right back up in rankings so this may have no effect at all. Perhaps the impact is minimal with the author vowing to remove it before it ships. Or perhaps it wouldn't matter anyways. The reviews ARE proof of some rabid anti-Korean sentiments but a few which again, may not be anime buyers anyways. I find it kind of annoying that amazon allows reviews on products which haven't even shipped yet...
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yay, let's coddle racists and let them control media!

Please look at what you are saying. You're saying Otaku have every right to be racist twats.
Given that those "racist twats" would be the customers on whom the producers' livelihoods depend, I'd say they have every right to control the media that panders their way.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So otakus in Japan are mad that a K-pop boyband, Infinite is advertising itself on the manga, yet this is the same Japan that won't export J-dramas and J-pop outside of Asia to compete with Korea on the international level

Mind you, there were real tries to release dramas outside Asia. They didn't work.

Oh, and Japanese broadcasters do offer they dramas for licensing. I know it because I had their leaflets in my hands.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna jump in and point out that what's racist or not does not matter. In the end, if I were the author, while I'd be grateful that something I made is being adapted, I'd also be pissed if there was something unfaithful added into the adaptation without my consent. This is kinda minor, but also something done without my knowledge...hypothetically speaking. Not to mention, what if the author happens to HATE k-pop as a music genre? Would it be considered coddling racists or being racist just because you hate it being in your work? Everyone has music genre's they hate and wish would die in a fire, for us, it's rap and anything written by Rihanna, for them, it's just k-pop. If you wrote a piece of fiction and your work's adaptation had a Snoop Diddy poster in a scene, I'm sure you'd be a bit annoyed too.

With that said, it IS slightly funny how people were so quick to notice such a minor detail. Shouldn't you also need a pretty strong knowledge of k-pop bands to identify it as one in the first place?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7