• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha, Dai Nippon Printing Buy Vertical

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
Okay, this seems like a good thing, and I'm happy for the comapny.
My Tweet:
Quote:
@Vertical_Ed does this mean you can republish Planetes now? Please? It will go so well with Twin Spica!#Manga #KodanshabuysVertical

Ed's Response:

Quote:
no not gonna happen, while I'm here.

Crying or Very sad Oh, well...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Has this supposed new Kodansha US based publishing company even published anything yet is this buyout of Vertical supposed to set that up or something? Either way it sure would be nice if they'd continue with those former Del Ray titles that were still ongoing. I'm reading two of them. Confused
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
<pipedream> Maybe we'll get the rest of Nodame Cantabile now... </pipedream>
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Has this supposed new Kodansha US based publishing company even published anything yet is this buyout of Vertical supposed to set that up or something? Either way it sure would be nice if they'd continue with those former Del Ray titles that were still ongoing. I'm reading two of them. Confused

Kodansha Comics have published new editions of Ghost in the Shell, and Akira [they're up to vol.5] so far. They've solicited multiple titles, listed on the website I linked to earlier. That line up will be hitting in May, which includes new titles and some former Del Rey licenses. Various former Del Rey staff have confirmed they are working for Kodansha Comics now in the same positions.

Vertical will continue acting independently with Kodansha and DaiNippon as investors, as Ed has clarified.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
So they did not pick up the del rey title i would like to keep up with.

Princess Resurrection book 8 - on going.

that's sad.
swanjun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
No news on Princess Resurrection yet, no. Here is a very comprehensive list of what Del Rey titles have been picked up and which are still in limbo for now:
http://manga.about.com/b/2010/12/14/kodansha-announces-11-new-and-not-so-new-manga-for-2011.htm

As a caveat, Kodansha USA was only announcing their summer 2011 lineup, so it's possible some of these could actually see releases later in the year.

Also, please add me to the contingent hoping that somehow this will lead to more Nodame Cantabile. As a josei work, it would fit pretty well with Vertical's mostly seinen offerings.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
swanjun wrote:
Also, please add me to the contingent hoping that somehow this will lead to more Nodame Cantabile. As a josei work, it would fit pretty well with Vertical's mostly seinen offerings.

As much as I am a fan of Nodame I don't think Vertical will be picking that up. And while we have been asked about some license "rescues" before, we generally pass on them unless there are factors that allow us to look into them more closely (like Black Jack being a Tezuka title that was OOP for almost a decade.)
swanjun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
As much as I am a fan of Nodame I don't think Vertical will be picking that up. And while we have been asked about some license "rescues" before, we generally pass on them unless there are factors that allow us to look into them more closely (like Black Jack being a Tezuka title that was OOP for almost a decade.)

Oh well. Maybe Kodansha USA will put it out. Heck, I would even be content if it came out, like, once a year. Something, anything, is better than nothing!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Kodansha Comics have published new editions of Ghost in the Shell, and Akira [they're up to vol.5] so far. They've solicited multiple titles, listed on the website I linked to earlier. That line up will be hitting in May, which includes new titles and some former Del Rey licenses. Various former Del Rey staff have confirmed they are working for Kodansha Comics now in the same positions.

Vertical will continue acting independently with Kodansha and DaiNippon as investors, as Ed has clarified.

Okay, cool, thanks at least there's been some progress so I can have some hope for completing Suzuka and Princess Resurrection.
Driverbob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I think my reaction to this is like when a favored indy band goes main stream. I want to pout and call them sell outs, but in reality it just means they'll be around longer and we'll get a lot more material out of them. Plus we need anything positive for this industry right now.

DriverBob
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Kodansha USA (Or KUSA, as I'm gonna call it henceforth) is shaping up to be a major player when it finally unveils its re-releases and new titles and whatnot.

Can. Not. Wait. To own Alive: The Final Evolution in its entirety. And Chii's Sweet Home. And, like, a million other titles from them now.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Sounds like Kodansha USA (Or KUSA, as I'm gonna call it henceforth) is shaping up to be a major player when it finally unveils its re-releases and new titles and whatnot.

Can. Not. Wait. To own Alive: The Final Evolution in its entirety. And Chii's Sweet Home. And, like, a million other titles from them now.

Why would Kodansha USA publish Chi's Sweet Home when we, Vertical, already do?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2