• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am Xam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
First Thought for today's "Shelf Obsessed":
"Holy crap, that's a LOT of figurines...."

Second Thought for today's "Shelf Obsessed":
"Holy crap, that's a LOT of cats...."

It's nice to see yet another anime collection made out of something other then just manga and DVDs....
....though I cant help wondering if those cats get along well under one roof (seeing how territorial cats normally are...)

Kaledio Star is awesome. Indeed.

Very Happy
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
FINALLY some BD reviews! I hope you'll do more in the future!

Also, the shelf life pics are awesome! Still, nothing will ever compare to that one guy with a whole attic full of stuff.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty surprised Erin liked Sengoku Basara. When people ask me about that show I tell them it was stupid...stupid awesome! I totally enjoyed it a lot, it is a good reminder that some times it is good to watch stuff for purely entertainment. I liked the second season too, but I do have to agree it is way more againsty then it needs to be but still is a lot of fun and very pretty.

I also got to say I love the comment about Glass Mask being so hardcore. It had be laughing because it's so true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Since Erin and I don't see eye-to-eye with much of anime (and that's okay), I couldn't help but chuckle at reading the Kaleido Star review as she critiqued the dub. As she closes, she mentions "season 2" and I nearly busted a gut as I can see her writhing in agony trying to get through 26 episodes of Hilary Haag playing Mae, the whiniest brat I think I've ever seen in anime.

I love Hilary's voice, but not too many people do. Good luck, Erin. You're going to need it if you found "season 1" difficult to mire through.

Note: I will have to say, I found the story of "season 2" better than the first. It'll be interesting to see what your take on this will be, provided you survive it.

I'm a collector, and I have to ask: why is it I want something from every single person's collection who has submitted a picture to Shelf Life? I mean, I feel my collection is pretty good, but there's always that "one thing" I want. Should this thing already be in my collection?

That's when it hit me: where do people get their stuff I can't seem to find? This week's photos feature a ton of tiny figures and I've never seen them! I know Nendoroids are small, but these are even smaller than that! And they look good.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, but I want these tiny things. Less space. More of them. Here I thought figma was nice, now I want to go smaller (not really a fan of Nendoroids).

*sigh*

Ms. Erin you don't know what your missing!

I would advise you to definetly wait for 2003's "Kaleido Star: New Wings"(Looks over at his old ADV singles). Its much more noteworthy than season 1, its more character driven, theres more character development,the dub is far superb and emotionally charged, it introduces 2 new characters, and while the ending is predictable, its so heartwarming that it will blow your mind!

PJ, I love Hillary Haag. And I love how May Wong loosens up later!!!I've said to much.
TC-man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I also think Kaleidostar should be shelf worthy, especially for the money you can buy the whole Season 1 & 2 of the show at Amazon.com for example (39.99 USD!) and it costs less than a new PS3 or Xbox 360 game. Perhaps I am one the few who like the serious tone in Season 2 of Kaleido Star, especially the better storytelling and character development of Sora and Layla.

And I would put Sengoku Basara on the Rental worthy list, because the show didn't work for me at all, especially the combination of historical figures and ridiculous plot. Although I do like weird shows like Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei.

As for this week's shelves, they look absolutely awesome, especially the figures of Dr. Slump (I guess they are really rare, since they looks like the ones from the first TV show from the '80). And the cats are awesome too!
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Hey, a Xam'd review I agree with! Very Happy Well if you like what you saw in the second half Erin, I'd recommend going back to watch the first as well. It is too bad you went out of order though.
I figured that you'd pop up the moment Xam'd was brought into this discussion. Laughing

Anyway, I've been watching Xam'd on Time Warner Cable's Anime Network on Demand channel for the past couple of months and it's gonna be coming to a close soon. I've really enjoyed the series so far, and have to disagree completely with Theron Martin's review of part 2 and how he said it basically fell to pieces in the 2nd half.

Anyway, yeah. Great show. Gonn amake it one of the first I get on blu-ray once I do move up to HD.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
well, I supposed a checking out of xam'd is due, since I 'dun have like 18 things on the too watch list, not including streams...
and embarresment of riches, surely.

Congratulations to the master of those shelves... and. Is that a Sea of Dirac on the top shelf? and Now i would be jealous... Wink
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Xam'd was rated shelf-worthy at least. It's not perfect, but in a world where Eureka Seven has (or had, for a few years anyway) such a strong and vocal fanbase, I can't understand how nobody likes a show that does so many of the same things, but better, and without like 20 episodes that are basically filler. (and really bad filler at that)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a crap-load of mini-figures. I'm not really a merchandise fan myself, but that's very impressive. I completely lost it at the pantsless Shin-chan, though. Laughing

I'm glad to hear that Sengoku Basara is good stuff, since that one looked really fun when it was mentioned in the season previews a year or two ago. The same goes for Xam'd, too...if it's by the same staff that made Eureka seveN, it deserves a look-see from me.
Seca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

That's when it hit me: where do people get their stuff I can't seem to find? This week's photos feature a ton of tiny figures and I've never seen them! I know Nendoroids are small, but these are even smaller than that! And they look good.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, but I want these tiny things. Less space. More of them. Here I thought figma was nice, now I want to go smaller (not really a fan of Nendoroids).

*sigh*

If you're talking about the figures that are mostly showcased in the second shelf picture those are called Pinky Street or Pinky:St figures and their main feature is being able to swap their parts out (like heads, hair, tops and bottoms) with each other. Most of them are original characters but they do collaborations with various anime and video game series from time to time.

You can do a quick search on ebay for them and find a good selection, though the collaboration ones tend to be limited and can be quite expensive.
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I'm a collector, and I have to ask: why is it I want something from every single person's collection who has submitted a picture to Shelf Life? I mean, I feel my collection is pretty good, but there's always that "one thing" I want. Should this thing already be in my collection?

Oh wow!!! That statement sure does hit home!! I busted over that..And how true it is! Thanks for making me laugh on a very rough day Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
It was money well spent! If you told me last year that a show based on a video game could be this amazing, I would never have believed you.

I was actually shocked that you gave it a shelf worthy PERIOD!!!

After on the last shell life i believe you give the anime version of devil may cry an auto perishable even though I liked it a lot.

Glad your on board with most of the forum users here cause it is a good series though I would have watched it regardless.

However putting Kaleido Star on rental isn't one of them. Sure the dub was not perfect , however ADV's version was preety good in those times.

However I do agree with you on the TV-14 raiting.

from what i saw I too did not see anything at all to merit the raiting.

Also most of the users are wondering about the streaming reviews. are you no longer doing them???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
FINALLY some BD reviews! I hope you'll do more in the future!

I've done several BD reviews in the last year. Here, I have them bookmarked.

ss-hikaru wrote:
By the way Erin, is it just me or have we not seen a Stream Review in a while? Are there rules where you have to watch a certain number of episodes streamed before you can include it in this column? Or perhaps it's because you've been on the move a lot recently?

As per the several inquiries about streaming series... I've thought of Shelf Life as primarily a DVD review column, so I've been giving priority to DVDs first, and streaming shows are secondary. Your guess is correct; because I was traveling over the holidays, and I couldn't watch as much streaming stuff.

I don't think there are any rules about how many episodes need to be out before I review a streaming show, although I think once we threw around the number six, because if the show was on a DVD release, you'd get 4-6 episodes per disc in the old days. Mostly I haven't reviewed anything from the new season because I don't want to repeat content from the Winter Preview Guide. But I guess you guys aren't sick of hearing different reviewers' opinions yet!

jr0904 wrote:
After on the last shell life i believe you give the anime version of devil may cry an auto perishable even though I liked it a lot.

That wasn't an "auto" perishable. If I remember correctly, it was a super-lame story. Maybe if I'd play the game it would've been better, but a story ought to be able to stand alone as a work in whatever media you consume it in. Videogames based on movies should still be fun to play as videogames, etc.

classicalzawa wrote:
Aww, I would've put Kaleido Star season 1 on the shelf worthy, perhaps not season 2 (I don't think it's as good)...

After reading the entire thread, I have to say that I like Kaleido Star, but I don't love it as much as you guys. Holy cow!

Kaleido Star is almost Shelf Worthy... but between the lackluster dub and lack of extras, I couldn't justify it. I mean, there is a voice over commentary by the dub actors for one episode, but that was it. I mean, if it was the set that came with the little seal doll, maybe... Did I mention this box is ugly?

Megiddo wrote:
Erin, you cannot seriously have actually watched the brutal training for the spoiler[Legendary Great Maneuver] and thought that it was somehow less than a director throwing a rock at some actor. We're talking spoiler[about stopping a mini-wrecking-ball using only your arm strength and not allowing any further movement in your body. And repeatedly pushing off against a cliffside at full strength, over and over and over again, causing even the gifted Layla Ashley to hurt her shoulder]. You're going to have to come up with something greater from Glass Mask than that, otherwise I'll once again think that you didn't even complete the show.

I totally watched the ending! And I think that the training for the spoiler[Legendary Great Maneuver] was way less harsh than an acting coach throwing rocks at you and here's why: Every single character in Kaleido Star is a trained circus performer who can reasonably expect to get injured at some time or another. While spoiler[Layla] knows she is getting hurt, she chooses spoiler[to keep injuring herself]. In Glass Mask Maya isn't training for stage combat when Tsukikage throws rocks at her! She doesn't get a warning at all! Maya also needlessly subjects herself to physical harm several times, but in that case it's her coach being cruel without warning. Tsukikage also mentally tortures Maya by spoiler[burning all the letters from her mother] and even spoiler[locking her in a shed] at one point.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I think you just misused the word "hardcore".

Because the training that Layla and Sora take upon themselves is practically the definition of hardcore.

Anyways, speaking of extras, what extras were in the second part of the Xam'd collection? I didn't see the extras mentioned in your little write-up for it.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The exact same extras as in part 1: NCOP and ED from the original net airing, along with NCOP & EDs from the TV run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4