• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best (legal streaming) anime website?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is my preferred streaming site, without question, because its streams of recent shows are always available in resolutions up to 1080p and its player is not only generally reliable but also allows you to jump around in the episode without significant complications. (This is not possible with players on some other sites that I've tried.) It also has the largest regular-sized player, its player smoothly upscales to full-screen size, and its content is almost always soft-subbed, so one can disable the subs to get a clean screenshot (which is a big deal for work on stuff like the seasonal Preview Guides). My only minor complaints about them are that they'll always show the censored version of an episode if censored and uncensored are available and that the player can stutter at the higher resolutions during peak usage times.

The Anime Network
has a pretty decent player, too. Many of its titles are available in HD form (which scales well to full-screen size) and some have subbed/dubbed options, too. They don't use commercials, either. The downsides are that their subs are hard-subbed and content available without a subscription is restricted; for recent series, only its first episode or two is typically available for free, while for older series having the subs free but the dubs and HD option only available to subscribers is typical.

Funimation and Hulu players (and ANN uses the latter) are okay beyond the irritating presence of commercials, but neither one usually scales well to full-screen and higher-resolution options generally aren't available. Same for Crackle.

Nico Nico Douga has a respectable ad-free player that scales up fairly well, but you have to play the content straight through; skipping ahead is impossible. Not having English instructions on buttons, even though the player is meant to be available for English viewers, is also irksome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
My favorite and the only one I pay for is Crunchyroll . I think they usually have the best selection of seasonal shows, they have good quality video, and I like their iPOD app.

I've used Anime Network for a few titles and they were fine but I wouldn't subscribe to them, not enough titles I am interested in.

I dislike Funi's player so I usually switch to Hulu. Sometimes with Hulu you can do some quiz and skip the commercials if you are lucky. During the election I was getting some really extreme right wing commercials during Funi shows so that was kind of annoying.

I used Nico Nico's player during Fate Zero, disliked the quality but that was the fastest way to watch it and I am more concerned with timeliness than quality.
timmy7596

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I always use crunchyroll but im starting to run out of shows to watch. Any recommendations?
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
timmy7596 wrote:
I always use crunchyroll but im starting to run out of shows to watch. Any recommendations?

(Be SHAMED as an anime buff if you haven't used at least one of the above-mentioned sites to get hooked on vintage GE999.
In my day, junior, it was part of the very ABC's of anime literacy, and darn near impossible to find on VHS tape past the Viz movies. Be grateful to your lucky stars that today's generation has what the past one never had.)
RGaspar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
timmy7596 wrote:

(Be SHAMED as an anime buff if you haven't used at least one of the above-mentioned sites to get hooked on vintage GE999.
In my day, junior, it was part of the very ABC's of anime literacy, and darn near impossible to find on VHS tape past the Viz movies. Be grateful to your lucky stars that today's generation has what the past one never had.)

It's official! I can add EricJ to the "Old Geezer" list now =D

Ha! Now, in all seriousness. @timmy7596: Assumming you've run out of CR shows because you've seen mostly everything that's there, I guess the next logical step would be to try a Funimation subscription. It is to my understanding Funimation is the second biggest option when it comes to anime streams.

And, of course, you can also wait for the next season with Crunchy adding some 8 to 10 new shows to see.

If you're unsure of some CR anime that's already available I'd recommend the aforementioned Galaxy Express 999, Time of Eve, Tsuritama and some guys really enjoy Gintama.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
EricJ wrote:
Be SHAMED as an anime buff if you haven't used at least one of the above-mentioned sites to get hooked on vintage GE999.

If you're unsure of some CR anime that's already available I'd recommend the aforementioned Galaxy Express 999, Time of Eve, Tsuritama and some guys really enjoy Gintama.

Raw-VHS-club Geezer and proud of it! Cool We're here to teach the core classics to the new generations, and get the Bleach out.
Anime's too stuck in art and niche at the moment, and it'll stay that way until the new kids learn to appreciate their cultural roots. GE999's also surprisingly addictive for a "retro" series and loosely imagined Matsumoto sci-fairytale.

Speaking of which, most of the more mainstream Funi titles find their way to Netflix, which is probably the cleanest and best looking versions of Slayers, Princess Tutu, Sgt. Frog, xxxHolic and Fruits Basket you're likely to find on the streaming ether.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
RGaspar wrote:
EricJ wrote:
Be SHAMED as an anime buff if you haven't used at least one of the above-mentioned sites to get hooked on vintage GE999.

Raw-VHS-club Geezer and proud of it! Cool We're here to teach the core classics to the new generations, and get the Bleach out.
Anime's too stuck in art and niche at the moment, and it'll stay that way until the new kids learn to appreciate their cultural roots. GE999's also surprisingly addictive for a "retro" series and loosely imagined Matsumoto sci-fairytale.

Speaking of which, most of the more mainstream Funi titles find their way to Netflix, which is probably the cleanest and best looking versions of Slayers, Princess Tutu, Sgt. Frog, xxxHolic and Fruits Basket you're likely to find on the streaming ether.

lol admit it you had the hots for Blondy in GE999.
bit skinny for my tastes but the story was ok. not sure i could sit through it again.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
lol admit it you had the hots for Blondy in GE999.

(sigh)...Girls in Anna Karenina dresses, standing by railroad tracks, get me every time. Embarassed
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Chrunchyroll would have to take the top slot. Also Hulu would follow a close second. Crackle has some great anime and a decent player. The anime net work would be higher on my list but i have run into some issues.

Funimation works if self way down the list. but I still collect box set dvd's from Funimation and always will due to the great content.

one can find anime at aniplexs us web page also the player there works fine as well.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
After my experiences with Crunchyroll last night, I want to reemphasize something that I said in my earlier post: Crunchyroll is the best when you're not accessing it at a peak volume time. When you are, it can be terrible. Last night around 10 p.m. EST I watched (or, rather, tried to watch) a newly-premiering 24-minute episode and it took over an hour to get through the episode because, even on 480p, it stuttered so horribly that I had to do a nearly 3:1 buffering time-to-viewing time ratio just to get the episode to play right. And this is while being the sole household user of a cable modem and playing it on a laptop with several times the specs and signal strength that should be required for even 1080 streams to play smoothly, too.

Fortunately this kind of thing usually only happens at certain times of the day, with 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. U.S. EST usually being the worst problem spot, but the fact that it happens on a regular basis is annoying. CR really needs to buff up their system to handle these peak traffic flow times better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Last night around 10 p.m. EST I watched (or, rather, tried to watch) a newly-premiering 24-minute episode and it took over an hour to get through the episode because, even on 480p, it stuttered so horribly that I had to do a nearly 3:1 buffering time-to-viewing time ratio just to get the episode to play right.

Curious. I was on CR last night at 10 pm EST watching a newly-premiering episode (most likely the same one) and only experienced a slight delay (less than 1 minute) at the very beginning of the stream. Other than that, my 720p playback was fine. A case of Your Mileage May Vary??
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
Curious. I was on CR last night at 10 pm EST watching a newly-premiering episode (most likely the same one) and only experienced a slight delay (less than 1 minute) at the very beginning of the stream. Other than that, my 720p playback was fine. A case of Your Mileage May Vary??

If we are talking about the same series (concerning a certain werewolf?) then hearing this irritates me even more. Have you ever had the problem I've described at other times?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I've had that problem occasionally when I watch an episode that just came out, but if I close it and then just try CR again in 30 minutes, it's typically fine.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If we are talking about the same series (concerning a certain werewolf?) then hearing this irritates me even more. Have you ever had the problem I've described at other times?

Yep, it was the werewolf one.

I've never had the problem you described to that extent. I have had CR's stream pause for me during the evenings. Usually, I slide the play bar back a minute or so, hit the play button for good measure, and that usually starts up the stream again. It may or may not stop again later on. But it's never taken me an hour to get through a stream. Sunday evening seem to be the worst time but I can't say for sure. Sunday evenings are the only evening times I regularly try to stream. Usually I stream during the day & have little problem.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Knock on wood but I've never had problems on CR's website with buffering problems either (I do occasionally on their app).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3