• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Milky Holmes, Demonbane, Macademi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder, what do they want with Demonbane. Well, it's not as bad as many other anime they've streamed, but it's bellow ordinary and has been out for a few years. But who knows. It's a site where the usual user ratings are 4.8+/5 for nearly anything. What sane being would ever give 5/5 to a Hitman Reborn episode?? Laughing

Now Lucky Star and Gundam are absolutely lovely acquisitions.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
It doesn't say anything about Streaming or DVD Distributing rights. It just says "it licensed the anime". This was the reason Durarara couldn't be licensed by Aniplex, because CR wouldn't budge.

I'm going to surmise from what I know of CrunchyRoll, that it is only a streaming licensing. And DRR is licensed for DVD distribution by Aniplex, CR has nothing to do with physical media distribution on that.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I have to wonder, what do they want with Demonbane.

Probably because Jast USA is releasing a translated version of the eroge soon.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
So Demonbane finally goes legit.

On Crunchyroll.

This company's burning through that cash infusion way, way too fast.
Ah, and since you've seen the terms of the deal, spill: how much did they pay in terms of up-front license fee for Demonbane? Round figures will be fine.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
It doesn't say anything about Streaming or DVD Distributing rights. It just says "it licensed the anime". This was the reason Durarara couldn't be licensed by Aniplex, because CR wouldn't budge.

I'm going to surmise from what I know of CrunchyRoll, that it is only a streaming licensing. And DRR is licensed for DVD distribution by Aniplex, CR has nothing to do with physical media distribution on that.
Are you trying to spoil a great explanation for why something can't happen based merely on the fact that it did, in fact, happen some months ago?

Given the fact that Bandai / BandaiChannel is the publisher for several streams still up on Crunchyroll and was, indeed, one of Crunchyroll's earliest deals when it first went legit, concluding that Bandai has lost a license because its been announced as streaming on Crunchyroll is quite deliciously silly. As far as the Grossly Irresponsible Rumor game goes, all I can do is tip my hat and say, "well played".

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It's a site where the usual user ratings are 4.8+/5 for nearly anything.

Call me cynical, but I strongly suspect they stack the averages by winnowing out the low scores. The lowest I've ever seen was the first episode of Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt, at 4.2/5; and when half the messages in the sidebar were negative (the other half loving it, mind you) you'd think it would be much, much lower than that, around 2.5-3.0.

Dear heavens, looking at pictures for Demonbane's pages... is that from an eroge for men or for women? Because those pictures look like the covers of bad josei romance manga.
mad mac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Call me cynical, but I strongly suspect they stack the averages by winnowing out the low scores. The lowest I've ever seen was the first episode of Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt, at 4.2/5; and when half the messages in the sidebar were negative (the other half loving it, mind you) you'd think it would be much, much lower than that, around 2.5-3.0.

Possibly, but I've seen more or less the same trend at other streaming sites in the past. The bulk of streaming viewers are teenagers with terrible taste who think everything animated that doesn't literally kick them in the crotch and steal their wallet is awesome.

Plus, you have to factor in viewer bias. How many people bother watching or rating something they know they aren't going to like? I mean, I don't think I've personally rated anything at Crunchyroll, and I love that site.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Call me cynical, but I strongly suspect they stack the averages by winnowing out the low scores.
... there's no need to winnow, its self winnowing. Its mostly people who love a show who take the time to rate an episode ... and then over time, the people who hate the show have dropped it, so even PS&G's rating will trend up with time.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Dear heavens, looking at pictures for Demonbane's pages... is that from an eroge for men or for women? Because those pictures look like the covers of bad josei romance manga.

If you saw the uncensored game photos, you'd know that Demonbane is for the guys. Laughing
Mimi The Freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Wow this is awesome news! Tantei Opera was one of the top series I wanted to watch this season. Can't wait for all of these to get a DVD release (and hopefully with an english dub option).

Same here!
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. I was interested in checking Lucky star and Demonbane.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes will hopefully be a pleasing diversion to my Sunday afternoon. I don't wish to let optimism get the better of me, but this series may eclipse Sherlock Hound!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
...and yet the award-winning Dennou Coil still hasn't been picked up...
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
YES! YES! I wanted to see Gundam, Zeta Gundam and the second season of 00 and now I can!

Thanks Bandai (and Crunchyroll)! Very Happy
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
...and yet the award-winning Dennou Coil still hasn't been picked up...
Excellent point ~ if it was given a prize by the Japanese SF writers, its certainly worth getting Madhouse (or whoever has the int'l rights) a royalty advance to do a sub and put it up at Crunchy.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, don't even start with Dennou Coil. I die a little bit inside whenever I think about how there's no R1 license.

As for Lucky Star, nice license, but if the Hayate no Gotoku! episodes on CR are any indication, we'll only be getting hardsubs. (The Lucky Star series set is currently selling for around a dollar per episode with discount, folks, so if you've been wanting to pick it up, now's the time.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3