• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! Special Edition Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Anime Fans: Making Trekkies and Star Wars Nerds look Cool! We are definitely at the bottom of the Fan-Nerd pecking order.

Nope ... that honor goes to Furries.

Although the whole ears and tails thing does cause some overlap.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, I just wanted to mention that once again I'm going to be at AX this year at the ANN panel on Friday! I'm bummed that we don't have a booth this year, as in the past I've been able to hang out there and meet people. But yes.. I'll be around if you want to chat. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:

They briefly talked about then on the last ANNcast,from the sounds of it some guy just started selling paddles with the word "Yaoi" on them.

I'd always figured that someone thought "YAOI" looked like Greek letters for a fraternity (upsilon alpha omicron iota), and went with the idea of a fraternity paddle. Why fraternity paddles exist is a secret, not disclosed to us laymen.
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could wear cat ears, wings, etc. in public without looking like an attention starved loser, because I honestly do like those things! (not that I wear them all piled on at once, like catfox girl lol)

I have so many cute accessories I almost never get to wear because I usually have costumes for conventions.

Sometimes I'll wear something to a private party of just my friends. We're all pretty nerdy, so they don't bat an eye at my oddness. I also wear my cat ears around the house sometimes just to keep my hair out of my eyes. Luckily, my husband thinks they're cute.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Some dude walked into a store I work for dressed as Link once. Just because he wanted to. I even asked him if there was a convention in the area, because I could not believe someone would just do something like that for no reason...

When he left, every single employee asked me who he was, because as the official anime fan mascot of the store, I must know every weirdo in the neighborhood. I politely went off on a tangent about how I don't have a frikkin' clue who that was, and proceeded to slam my head against a wall in the warehouse for awhile...

Seriously, people. Cosplay's fun, but inappropriate outside of the places it belongs. Same with crazy outfits.

I don't see why though... If you like dressing up, why shouldn't you do it when you like?
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
I don't see why though... If you like dressing up, why shouldn't you do it when you like?
Dressing up is fun. But there's a time and place. No one's stopping you if you choose to, but people will stop and stare and then possibly boggle/make fun of.

And it can affect the people around you who you might not even know when they're trying their damnedest to prove that people who are big-time anime fans can also be normal civilians.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
4/22/09 for those that care.

Patachu wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Anime Fans: Making Trekkies and Star Wars Nerds look Cool! We are definitely at the bottom of the Fan-Nerd pecking order.

I don't know, the real star of this con (introduced in the following week) makes a good run for the crown too. Well, not her specifically, but her type. Might loose the tie-breaker by looking normal on the outside though.
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

What about LARPers?
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

OK, first... I love your profile pic; that damned Cat!

Anyway... Really? Overlooking the Yiffing and such, I'd still say we (as a "community" -and honestly it's mostly the younger crowd I'm talking about here) scrape the bottom of the barrel. Think of all the things young "fans" (See: Rude and Ill-mannered Beasts/Attention Whores with no sense of decorum) of anime/manga do and then tell me you've ever heard of something like this happening at a Furry con or out in public. I sure haven't -Advantage: Furry.

The other test I'd say goes like this: In public a furry looks like an out of place sports mascot, while the Cat/Fox Anime Fans and their ilk stick out like an air horn being blasted in your face -Advantage: Furry.

As for the Pedo angle... Some dude in a bear suit looks just as questionable as some of the cosplayers I've seen -Tie.

And ruling the roost are the gamers. Outcome: we're still bringing up the rear.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
Maigraith wrote:
I think the phrase "all things in moderation" should apply here. I don't mind the occasional tail or a pair of ears, but once they get like 10+ accessories on it just screams "look at me, look at all the neat-o stuff I have:D"

I always think this when I see people wearing everything they just bought in the dealer room. Seriously, pick one or two things for each day and you can wear much of your new stuff over the course of the weekend. It looks better too, since it implies that some thought went into what was picked as opposed to just buying everything in sight and throwing it on.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I'd love to see "Catfox" star in a future strip. Such simple absurdity should be cherished. Sort of reminds me of "CatDog", but way more painful and yet far more topical.

She did make a cameo in the 100th Strip.

And I found worse, by accident: Narutards on TLC's Mall Cops. Oddly enough, they dressed up on Black Friday.

I saw that, and had to explain to my cousin, who was watching with me. Her face went from Rolling Eyes when she first saw them, to Shocked when I explained.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Could someone explain the concept of the yaoi paddle to me? I've looked it up online and I know what they're used for, but I am still completely baffled by it.

They briefly talked about then on the last ANNcast,from the sounds of it some guy just started selling paddles with the word "Yaoi" on them.

I can believe that. It just seems like one of those so simple, it's brilliant situations. Stick a word on there that gets a particular group all giddy and see what happens.

The thing I don't get is the purpose for those that do buy them. Is swatting someone supposed to mean that you'd like to see them kiss another guy or something?
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Fabe wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Could someone explain the concept of the yaoi paddle to me? I've looked it up online and I know what they're used for, but I am still completely baffled by it.

I can believe that. It just seems like one of those so simple, it's brilliant situations. Stick a word on there that gets a particular group all giddy and see what happens.

The thing I don't get is the purpose for those that do buy them. Is swatting someone supposed to mean that you'd like to see them kiss another guy or something?

WTF?! Hahaha, it would be hilarious, if that's the purpose to the "Yaoi" paddle, but then again I should be scared, because I am a guy.

Its a really scary weapon, this is what happens when people's fantasies get out of hand, people! Next thing you know they'll pour laxative on the paddle........o_0.........not a good idea. Mad
kailegh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Fabe wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:

I think it's meant as a compliment, actually. As in, being spanked with a yaoi paddle would imply that the spankee thinks you have a nice tush. & that you should perhaps use it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2