• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any tips for watching subs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The way I started watching subs is unusual. I watched a lot of foreign language live action movies. Anything by Kurosawa will lend itself well to watching and doing a test of how well you can handle watching and reading at the same time.

Another question to ask: are you naturally a multitasker? Some people aren't. If you can't read a book and watch tv at the same time, you might have a harder time of watching subbed anime than say someone who can....

And its amazing how much context you'll start to pick up and how little actual reading you will do after you start watching anime subbed. You start to pick up words and understand them the same way you do that cousin who kinda mumbles funny....
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It's not a question of what titles to watch first--
It's a matter of auto-programming your left and right brain to hear Japanese while seeing English...Like that old optical illusion, where you see "Red" written in blue, and "Green" written in yellow, and they ask you what word you just saw.

It's easy to watch Seven Samurai in Japanese w/subs (heck, it's easy to watch Seven Samurai or Throne of Blood, period Cool ), since it's so historically and culturally Japanese, it would sound ridiculous with a Godzilla-style English dub. Samurais naturally should speak Japanese, and after a while, you find yourself reading the words in your head with the same Japanese inflection--The sub may say "What??", but you read it with the same upswing as "NA-ni ga?"

Me, I like to watch all my Blu-rays of any movie with the English subs on, since I try to keep the volume low, and sometimes don't hear the good lines over my popcorn. That's become a good way to naturally program both-brain Eye-Ear Coordination. And when I get an anime on disk, I'll usually watch it once out of the box, so I turn on the dub to hear how it sounds, but leave the original Sub track on to check accuracy.
If you MUST watch dubs, try using the Sub tracks as training wheels, it won't take long to get the hang of it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
It's not a question of what titles to watch first--
It's a matter of auto-programming your left and right brain to hear Japanese while seeing English...

That's actually extremely easy to do. Before I watched Crest of the Stars I viewed everything exclusively in dub form. But the dub of that show was so bad I had to change over to the sub not even half-way through the first episode. By the time I'd finished the third episode I'd already gotten fully used to reading the English subtitles while listening to the Japanese.

It's not a matter of programming yourself, and more a test of just getting over the initial psychological hurdle and letting your brain adapt and learn on its own. Before you know it you'll be hooked on fansubs like me, LOL.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'll add the suggestion that you start off with some shows that have fairly simple dialogs. This may sound like a silly suggestion, but I'd recommend starting with something like Chi's Sweet Home. Most of the show has simple conversations and a cute, easy-to-follow story. At three minutes per episode, you can watch a few episodes and quit when you tire of reading the subs.

At the other end of the spectrum you have really densely written shows like Mouryou no Hako or Hyouge Mono. These are the kind of shows that require attentive viewing/reading and should only be taken on when you're alert. Bakemonogatari is another example of a very demanding show to watch with subs. Unfortunately Aniplex did not help with this since the R1 release has no dubbing. I've been watching subtitled movies all my life, and subtitled anime intensively for about half-a-dozen years now, and I still find shows like these difficult to watch if I'm not at full alertness.
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how Bakemonogatari would be able to be properly dubbed anyways. You'll spend a good portion of the first episode reading anyways. Just go full bore and enjoy the ride! Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember any trouble when I started watching subs, I didn't even notice any real difference. Actually, you tend not to notice subs unless you think about it manually, then it's kind of annoying to wait until you get that you're supposed to read subconsciously. On top of anime, watching foreign films with subtitles is definitely no issue, unless they have improperly timed subs. Like, the subtitles will either linger on the screen too long, not long enough, or start before or after the dialog is spoken. You never think about it watching casually, but impeccable timing is crucial.

The language switch aside, it's about learning to speed read and using rapid eye movements from the bottom to the middle of the picture. If you watch anime long enough, even on home video, chances are you're going to encounter sub-only titles. Start with Das Boot. Actually, I watch pretty much everything with subtitles tracks on, as I tend to watch things at 1.2-1.5x speed.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
On the other hand, if you're confident in your speedreading abilities, you can always watch an episode of Teekyu as an acid test.

Or any NisiO show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
The thing is Teekyuu is hard enough to understand when you are pausing at each sentence. Smile
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote
Two pages about thing that more than half of the world do on the daily basis. Just pick up what seems interesting and watch it.
P.S Excel Saga hard to follow?
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Second: interest is important. If you're not engaged in the series, you're less likely to want to read what's going on.
In my personal experience this is the most important bit; you gotta want it! Personally, I started watching subs in a 2 step process: The first step was 2 specific series in which I was already invested, one with a notably bad dub (GetBackers) and the other with a dub cast that change midseries (Saiyuki/Reload), and my friends and I just couldn't handle it. The second step however was a matter of necessity, not preference: between watching fansubs of anime that were currently airing (and therefore obviously not available dubbed) and titles that would never be released dubbed (every Asian drama ever), I just learned to kinda absorb the subtitles in a glance without actually like "reading-reading" them. And then taking into account my huge drama fandom, well, the issue of subtitles became second nature to me in rather short notice, as I think most folks often find to be the case. I barely notice them anymore. Best of luck in your endeavors, though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Interest is indeed important. I've found myself far less likely to work up the motivation to watch a show that is only available subtitled-only versus a dubbed show. It's just less of a hassle and faster without all the pausing involved. Thus if a show is borderline the language options might influence whether I continue or drop it.

EireformContinent wrote:
Two pages about thing that more than half of the world do on the daily basis. Just pick up what seems interesting and watch it.
P.S Excel Saga hard to follow?

Subbed, yes, because they talk a mile a minute so sentences disappear before you can finish reading them.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't anything special when I watched it some years ago, even if that was one of my first anime to be watched with English subs. But I guess that I'm just to watching subtitled shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2