• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo Crosses US$15-Million Threshold in United States

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Because Pokemon is what really popularized anime in the last decade, it is unlikely any other theatrically released anime movie will surpass the box office performance Pokemon the First Movie did. Ponyo is probably doing okay partially because Studio Ghibli frequently makes movies that the family can enjoy. Though it is cheesy when I say this, sometimes family-oriented movies/anime need to be done since the demographics of anime are usually grade schoolers, middle schoolers, high schoolers, and college attendees.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe remind everyone that Ponyo did $17m here but according to The Numbers: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2009/PONYO.php
it did $184Million worldwide for a total of ~$201Million Total. Not that good in the US, but fine, really.

For Eva1.0 though...
samuraiwalt wrote:

Is that a typo? I live in a city of 150,000 and it played here. It played in Monterey which has a population of 30,000. It played in several theaters in the San Francisco Bay area. So I don't understand your point. Why can't you drive 10 miles to see a movie? I drove 100 miles to see Evangelion and Naruto and I drove 20 miles to see Bleach, Sword of the Stranger, and Eureka 7. I only had to drive 5 miles to see Ponyo.

Yeah, I'd think you could call California an exception, sauraiW... Eva1.0 played in Denver for example [and later in boulder 30miles N/W] although in an arty downtown Denver theatre and not a regular multiplex, which while I don't mind, that isn't good merchandizing. Some of the other Anime stuff Like Eureka7 is palyed in multiplex, BUT when you have the posters up and lined up on the marquee, people going to see something ELSE will notice. Thousands of people. They mention it to their friends, and so on. I think the play at the Tivoli was a mistake.

Further though? Did it play anywhere in Wyo? Chyenne is 99miles, an Laramie even farther. Nebraska, Kansas? This is the thing, there are a lot of places in the middle of the US that are geographically FAR. For a movie like this, they prolly should have gone with mostly college towns, and advertized the he11 out of it. I think funimation blew it on this.

$22,000 US. WTF? OI!OI! supposedly that's only 3500 people total. Funimation! we can't do it alone.
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/0E1YA.php
Should we just take up a collection? At least $9M worldwide {since release in 2007}, but still. I have to say it seems unlikely that 2.0 will be screened on the Bigscreen, which is a shame, but they are going about this all wrong IMHO...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
sdhd wrote:
I wanted to watch this movie but I would have to go out of my way to go watch it. The movie wasn't shown at my local theater. Some cities which have a population of 50,000 or more can't watch it because the movie wasn't showing there. If the movie is relying on word of mouth for people to go watch the movie it failed. No one wants to travel 10-100 miles just to watch a movie unless you live in a small town that doesn't have a theater. I would say its Disney fault for not showing in major cities and the lack of ads.

Is that a typo? I live in a city of 150,000 and it played here. It played in Monterey which has a population of 30,000. It played in several theaters in the San Francisco Bay area. So I don't understand your point. Why can't you drive 10 miles to see a movie? I drove 100 miles to see Evangelion and Naruto and I drove 20 miles to see Bleach, Sword of the Stranger, and Eureka 7. I only had to drive 5 miles to see Ponyo.

Not everyone lives in California.

For instance, I live in a city with a population greater than 250,000 in north Texas and the closest theatre that played it is 6 hours away by car.
clamzany

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

$22,000 US. WTF? OI!OI! supposedly that's only 3500 people total. Funimation! we can't do it alone.
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/0E1YA.php
Should we just take up a collection? At least $9M worldwide {since release in 2007}, but still. I have to say it seems unlikely that 2.0 will be screened on the Bigscreen, which is a shame, but they are going about this all wrong IMHO...

Well, that website only goes as far back as August 28th for Eva 1.0's box office take. Box Office Mojo's a lot more up-to-date, and they have it as over $100,000. Still doesn't mean it's a good B.O. take. Considering it was released two years ago, I'm sure lots of folks already watched it through other means. It might have done better if there was less of a gap between the Japanese and North American release.

No matter what though, I think the whole release of Eva 1.0 was really botched. Scattered release in very few U.S. cities, but a massive rollout in Canada...for two days only (Wed., Sept. 30 and a repeat on Sat., Oct. 3, at like 10:30 in the morning, not exactly prime movie viewing time). I ended up seeing it here in Canada anyways (so I am pretty grateful for the wide release, even if I think that Canada getting the wide release and not the U.S. is a bit bizarre), but no thanks to advertising. There was no poster up, the movie wasn't listed on the marquee, nothing. If I didn't know about the release by browsing sites like this one, I probably would've missed it. While the theatre was somehow still nearly full when I went, I'm sure it could've done better if it was able to be kept in the theatres for a couple more days. I'm sure not everybody could watch it on the Wednesday or Saturday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2