• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Anime Festival Reports 21,388 Total Attendees

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll say there were a lot of people. I couldn't even get into any of the screening rooms on Saturday because they were either already filled or the lines were so frickin' big. (A good solid HOUR before Eva 1.0 was to be shown, there was a line outside of the theater that had to have been at LEAST 100 feet long. Needless to say, I didn't end up seeing Eva that evening.)

It was better on Friday, when there were a lot less people (I dunno about Sunday, I wasn't there). There were enough people there for it to be lively, but not so many that it was physically difficult to get around the exhibition hall or impossible to get into panels. That was more enjoyable for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
omg I was sooo mad about not getting into eva!! stupid squatters.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
I know I'll regret this, but I simply do not believe those numbers.

Now, talking "turnstile", that is more reasonable, and since there's a trade show here, it's pretty certain that's the number they're using.

If I may chip in as a former industry member, it's definitely turnstile, which is sort of the standard base for attendance reporting. Unless someone specifically states "XX,XXX unique attendees," you can be sure they're counting turnstile. I won't bore anyone with the different ways you can count attendance... :)
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
The disadvantage of NYAF and other cons are certain anime fans won' t those big anime screenings/premieres. If I was at the NYAF (I live in AZ and that should that tell you something), I would be pissed to miss the Soul Eater premiere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2