• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: N. America's 2007 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.8 Billion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Fansub watchers go down, toy sales go down.

So your saying fansub watching has gone down 40% Confused Rolling Eyes

Haven't looked at the download numbers in about over a year now, but they didn't drop 40% over the last 5 years. In fact I don't think they were dropping at all.

Yeah, I've been known to defend fansubs for preview purposes, but that's quite possibly the most illogical claim I've ever seen made about them. How are fansubs tied to toy sales more than R1 releases? In fact, I would think that being televised has the highest correlation to to sales. You get a broader exposure, including people who might not be into anime as much. (see: Naruto, Dragonball in all its forms).
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Media based on the sale of media = tends to be quality.

Media based on the sale of merchandising = tends to be crap.

This is a fundamental and ancient truth.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I can see this as making sense... even DVD sales in Japan are nowhere near as high as you'd think. Still I wonder exactly how the numbers were compiled, etc. I remember when Ledford from ADV was interviewed here and he stated explicitly as to why he couldn't flatly state the numbers for his company.

Anyway, I guess I can still do my part by buying toy robots... even though I feel sort of BAD for buying them at my age. Smile
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
As a side, I always imagine JETRO being some sort of Gun-for-hire that Cobra sends out to fight GI Joe every week.

If only cus the name sounds like it poped out of a toy line from that time.
jdb728

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Come on, isn't the latter what made Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie such a smashing success? Laughing

For me personally, I buy quite a few DVDs, and hardly ever any toys(just getting that out of the way).
I have to agree that fan subbing may help toy sales, but it's unlikely to do very much at all in the overall picture. The majority of the toy sales are to young children who watch Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon/Naruto/whatever on Cartoon Network/Fox/WB/Whathaveyou, I would imagine. The multi billion $ sales are not likely to be coming from the 12-30(Blind guessing) that are watching fansubs and refusing to buy dvds or watch legitimate copies of anime once released in the US. Not that I'm an expert on the economics of the Anime industry here in the states.

In short, I'd wager that we have Cartoon Network(with Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon) to thank for the merchandise sales a whole lot more then pirate fansubs.

Streaming via ANN(and other legit sources) is a good thing, but it should only be the first couple of episodes, so people could get a feel for a series, then go buy the DVD of it. I'm not sure people watching free streaming or downloads of series' really stimulates the industry. Cool

As to the overall numbers, I've little doubt that '08s numbers will be drastically lower for the DVDs, but hopefully merchandising can keep its solid numbers.

Thanks.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
Ties wrote:
At first I was really wondering how there could be such a big contrast between DVD sales and characters goods considering I don't see that much besides Great Eastern stuff. Then it dawned on me..... Naruto and DBZ toys. It all makes sense now.

That, plus the fact that you can't download merchandise.

Bingo. I've talked to various people who are like "Ugh, I can't afford $20 for a DVD or $40 for a DS game" but then will go out and buy some fancy clothing, or a new piercing or tattoo, or get a $50 haircut or some superfluous piece of technology. Thats why brand name clothing can stay expensive, because you can't get it illegally (Well, except for straight up swiping it from the store, but who does that anymore except to re-sell on the internet?)
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Why do they even waste time doing DVD? When you browse on the web and in magazines, all you see is ads for DVDs, but it's only about 11% of the total industry.

On a sidenote, these numbers are just revenue, not profit (revenue minus costs). I'd love to see what those numbers were, especially the profit made from DVD.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
North American DVD market: $316 million
North American Character Goods market: $2.5 billion
North American Anime market: $2.8 billion

Highest North American Anime market: $4.84 million
Highest North American DVD market: $415 million

CLEARLY the decline in the anime market is because of fansubs and illegal downloading--

OH WAIT.

IT'S NOT.

BECAUSE A 2 BILLION DOLLAR DECREASE IN THE ANIME MARKET ISN'T SOLELY THE RESULT OF A 100 MILLION DOLLAR DECREASE IN THE DVD MARKET.

This would be why people who say that the anime market's sky=falling because of fansubs are simply not correct. The anime market is driven far more by merchandise than it is by actual video-- just as it is in Japan-- and the percentage decrease in character goods is much greater than the percentage decrease in DVD. Also, one cannot make the leap of logic to say that DVD sales affect character good sales because fansub viewers are not less likely to buy merchandise (you can't download toys!).

The decrease in the market is simply because we don't have a huge children's toy anime hit, plain and simple (oh yeah, and this thing called the ECONOMY). No swarms of elementary schoolers are as crazy for Bakugan as they were for Yu-Gi-Oh!

Quote:

Considering that the anime market is FOUNDED upon merchandising, I suppose quality anime does not exist. Yes, it's a sad truth that merchandising is necessary, but without it, you would not have an industry at all. Even Ghibli movies need toys.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anybody is blaming piracy for the decline of anime-related sales as a whole. It's not outrageous to assume that the decline of anime DVD sales is related to the rise of piracy, however.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Haven't looked at the download numbers in about over a year now, but they didn't drop 40% over the last 5 years. In fact I don't think they were dropping at all.

What I'd be curious to see is the numbers of US/R1 fansub downloaders over the last 5 years vs. the numbers of fansub downloaders in say, Malaysia, Singapore and the Phillipines. Not to mention all the European countries, like Germany, Sweden, France and Italy. I would almost believe that US teens/20-somethings have less time to watch anime now than they used to, hence the decline of the related markets, whereas more and more people in other countries are gaining access to high-speed internet and watching more. Only a guess, of course, but a possibility.
jdb728

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think anyone was saying it's the fault of fansubs that merchandise sales have dropped. I think one could make a legitimate argument that fansubs are at least part of the decline in DVD sales though.
I'm also not sure that one could make a good argument for fansubs helping the merchandising market. You(kinda) hit the nail right on the head though. The merchandise sales are fueling primarily by kids getting toys(be it holidays, or just parents caving to whining in stores) based on whatever fad show is big at the time. As you said, we haven't had a huge kids hit(aside from Naruto), so basically the market drops and rises by the popularity of whatever anime Cartoon Network and the like are airing.

What I must strongly disagree with you on is about the anime market being FOUNDED upon merchandising. Yes, merchandising is important to overall staying power and success, but I think the point he/she was originally trying to get at is more along the lines of shows based on the marketing(ie Yu-Gi-Oh being an exaggerated infomercial for the card game) tend to be lower quality then shows that can stand alone, but have a strong marketing presence along with them(ie Cowboy Bebop).
I don't think the post was implying by any means that marketing is bad or anything like that.

Thanks.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
jdb728 wrote:
In short, I'd wager that we have Cartoon Network(with Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon) to thank for the merchandise sales a whole lot more then pirate fansubs.

100% agree with you. It's the kiddies with parents with disposal income.

Quote:
Streaming via ANN(and other legit sources) is a good thing, but it should only be the first couple of episodes, so people could get a feel for a series, then go buy the DVD of it. I'm not sure people watching free streaming or downloads of series' really stimulates the industry. Cool

100% disagree with you. As someone suffering from what I call "Gonzo syndrome" (from my reaction Chrono Crusade, Seven Samurai, Red Garden, Trinity Blood...probably missing one in there), I adamantly refuse to buy anything where I have not seen the ending. I'm not going to spend $100 or more and get to an ending that disappoints/pisses me off and makes me wish I'd never bought any of it.

Streaming will eliminate the need for fansubs-as-previews if and only if one can watch the entirety of the series. The Japanese audience can watch the whole thing on TV first, we should be allowed to as well.

This is all a side tangent, though. What I find amazing is how much more goes into merchandising than DVDs. I mean, twice I could believe, but eight times as much? At this point, in terms of merchandise, i think i have a pin, a patch, a shirt, and my chibi Batou figurine which has followed me around as a good-luck charm for years. I have lots of DVDs and loads of manga, I just don't get much into the whole merchandise thing. Maybe it's my age...or more likely my extreme poverty.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Ties wrote:
At first I was really wondering how there could be such a big contrast between DVD sales and characters goods considering I don't see that much besides Great Eastern stuff. Then it dawned on me..... Naruto and DBZ toys. It all makes sense now.

Yep pretty much, as much as myself and other don't consider them the best thing evar!010101010! They certainly help drive the market, so we should at least hope they do well.

Blood- I share your concerns as well, how well did 2008 for the industry financially and will 2009 be better, we shall see.
We don't have to wait at all, when the current welfare of the North American licensing companies is a direct indication to the shrinking international market on licensed medias. Because they don't deal with character goods distributions at all, unlike the Japanese distributors.
Dargonxtc wrote:
No I think the drop in the DVD sales reflects the real decline, while the merchandise percentage represents the real decline + plus the lack of replacements for toy generating anime.
I agree. With the recent anime being taken out of the North American TV networks and no new anime series showing on TV anytime soon, that is a good assessment you got there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

This is all a side tangent, though. What I find amazing is how much more goes into merchandising than DVDs. I mean, twice I could believe, but eight times as much?

No wonder 4Kids concentrates on merchandise licensing rather than providing DVDs of their anime! Laughing
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

And will the pro-fansubbers really shell out money on anime characters related goods like they claimed, when they won't even pay for anything licensed?
TokyoGetter wrote:
Anyway, I guess I can still do my part by buying toy robots... even though I feel sort of BAD for buying them at my age. Smile
Speak for yourself, my army need new blood. Twisted Evil
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Why do they even waste time doing DVD? When you browse on the web and in magazines, all you see is ads for DVDs, but it's only about 11% of the total industry.

On a sidenote, these numbers are just revenue, not profit (revenue minus costs). I'd love to see what those numbers were, especially the profit made from DVD.
Because the anime studios and production companies only have the copyrights on their intellectual properties known as anime, and that means they only get paid for selling their anime on DVD. So when anime DVD sales drop while no TV networks showing anime, the anime studios and production companies don't get paid for their anime.

Last edited by DomFortress on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6