• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Book of Bantorra DVD collection 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
@Fencedude5609

So...? Are you saying that taking the word of two trusted sources and forming my own first impression before taking the precious valuable watching time, isn't good enough to make some kind of pre-judgment?

Yes.

Basically, you can decide whether or not you want to watch it, but if you actually want to discuss it, you damn well better have watched it.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude5609

Where the hell does it say that at? One would think showing interest in a recently reviewed show on a forum specifically dedicated to that review would be enough... but apparently it isn't. Why? Please, someone, tell me.
Who the hell cares if I haven't seen it? As long as I respect the possibility that there might be people on this forum who haven't seen the show, I think I can say and bring up any thoughts pertaining about the show if it's in the name of it being worthwhile.

Look, Fencedude5609, if you don't like where I'm coming from then just say that. As long as I don't mind being told spoilers, then nothing should irritate you.
What is irritating you so much by what I am saying?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

What is irritating you so much by what I am saying?

Because you are making statements about a show based solely on hearsay and a review, something which I, personally, do not think is a worthwhile use of time.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude5609

And, again, why not? What is so bad about wondering if a show is worth watching by gathering opinions from people who can back up their opinions with sensible supporting proof?

It's like asking someone if they've ever ate a rotten fruit, the other person declaring "My BF, mother, father, siblings, and relatives - all people I would trust with my life (much less, my use of freetime) - say that it isn't good, it's bad for me, and that if I do so I am officially stupid."
The person w/rotten fruit simply smiles and says, "How do you know if you've never tried it?"
If enough trustworthy people are giving the same hints then, I dunno, isn't it more pointless to not take into account advice that was graciously offered when they didn't have to be given?

If my statements ring true despite me having not watched it, then I nod and move on to the next promising title. If they don't, then I have a tasty treat to savor. Win-win.
Personally, there's no shame in deducing if something parallels likeminded previous efforts because you simply can. Time is best used when you've done your best to enjoy it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
@Fencedude5609

And, again, why not? What is so bad about wondering if a show is worth watching by gathering opinions from people who can back up their opinions with sensible supporting proof?

Call it a difference in anime watching philosophy.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude5609

Well, considering that I love to gather as much opinions as possible, do me a favor and PM me your story as to why and how. I seek to understand so educate me, will ya?

It can only make the forums friendlier! Laughing
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

Well, considering that I love to gather as much opinions as possible, do me a favor and PM me your story as to why and how. I seek to understand so educate me, will ya?

Yeah, no.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude5609

*shrugs* Suit yourself. But try to attack the ideas you don't like separately from the people who have them. That's my philosophy on respectful conversation.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
@Fencedude5609

*shrugs* Suit yourself. But try to attack the ideas you don't like separately from the people who have them. That's my philosophy on respectful conversation.

I have nothing against you, I'd have this discussion no matter who was saying it.

I'm pretty sure I've never directly insulted you.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609, drop it. You're out of line here, as nothing that Otaking09 said in earlier posts deserved the harsh response you gave.

And this is not just friendly advice, BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've never directly insulted you.

Really? Well, besides the early-conceited attitude towards how someone should use the forum (not to mention that you are wasting your time if you can't even explain), I simply find this...

Quote:

Yeah, no.

...to be uncalled for. This is basically slapping down an extended hand of friendship to me. If this doesn't prove you have some sort of problem with me, I don't know what does. I have NO idea where or how I deserved that, and I do apologize, but I refuse to go into personal differences here; I'm sick and tired of every review I comment turn into an off-topic debate. You have anything else to say about your "ethics of commenting", PM me, otherwise, it was very nice trying to talk to you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Actually Otaking09, I think it is rather insulting to demand that people PM you to explain themselves. Fencedude5609 has every right to say no to such a ludicrous demand, and doesn't need to give you a reason why he refuses. He didn't insult you, he simply said "no". Thinking it is a slight against you is bizarre.

You are making judgements based on what other people have said rather than your own experience of the show, so how about you - gasp - actually watch all of the show? Then you may understand where Fencedude5609 is coming from without him having to explain it to you.

And Key, geez man, I've read Fencedude5609's posts in this thread and there's nothing that deserved a rebuke.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
@dtm42

Oh...? I find it even more insulting to pursue something having NOTHING to do with this forum's topic.
Actually, dtm42, it's ludicrous to call my words "demanding", and to label his "
Quote:
yeah, no
", a simple case of simply saying, "no", one would have to be inexperienced - or blind - to cynical sarcasm to miss the arrogant subtext.
And are you actually telling me how I feel is bizarre? What makes that for you to decide? Excuse me, but I think I have every right to feel a certain way because of certain treatment.
And that extends to all of your "You should..." statements reeking of judgmental, over-defensive bias; I've explained my reasons when I didn't have to, but, apparently, it's not enough = that is bizarre when people are barking orders - not suggestions - at me to do something without even telling me why I should. Do you guys even read/listen to my responses? I want some friendly feedback, not to be egged on and on to do things without a single pinch of respect.
It doesn't surprise me dtm that you would rush to defend him since...

Quote:
You are making judgements based on what other people have said rather than your own experience of the show, so how about you - gasp - actually watch all of the show? Then you may understand where Fencedude5609 is coming from without him having to explain it to you.

...you guys are exceptionally friendly people that are encouraging difference of opinion that aren't your own. Rolling Eyes
If you two are so content in telling not showing your opinions, then what do you guys want from me? How can you convince someone if you aren't willing to explain? You aren't going to convince someone like me otherwise that way; it's essentially trolling! If you don't mind my asking, but was their any instance of positive feedback to the way you are talking to me, because I really, really doubt it. Is it SO insulting to ask someone to answer them in a better place?
Someone please tell me why..... Anime cry

Why are people telling me how to do things that don't pertain to them? Why are they so bothered by the very notion that making inferences based on opinions that aren't their own is the bane to their happiness? I feel like I'm being accused of cheating on Monopoly or some cheap boardgame! Shocked

Last edited by Otaking09 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And Key, geez man, I've read Fencedude5609's posts in this thread and there's nothing that deserved a rebuke.

I thought the "I actually watched the show" comment was a needlessly rude response to what Otaking09 was saying even before I started seeing the complaint reports about it and other posts Fencedude has made in this thread. Nothing that Otaking09 (who, in my book, has a long-standing reputation for making reasonable posts) said warranted that kind of snarky response or the one that came after it. It almost seems to me like Fencedude is trying to antagonize here, and I and the other mods are very, very tired of both him doing that and other people being discouraged by the posting behavior of him and a couple of other people. (And no, I'm not including you as one of those "other people," as your recent behavior, while not flawless, has not been a problem.) So if it seems like I'm getting a little picky here in coming down on him: there's a good reason for that.

Fencedue5609, I'll be blunt: If you're not already aware of this, you're on the radar just about every Moderator and Admin on this site. You are, at the least, one of the top 2-3 people who most frequently come up in complaint reports. (And these are from a wide variety of forumites, so you can't blame this on any personal grudge.) There are a lot of forumites who would probably welcome your departure from the site. So, really, we're just looking for a good excuse at this point. Tread very carefully in the way you respond to people if you want to avoid Moderation or a tempban.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
@Otaking09:

Here's the thing; we're not trying to persuade you or convince you of anything. That's because we realise there's no point and that we'd be wasting our time. You want Fencedude5609 to spoonfeed you all the information, and I think that's arrogant and just plain rude. It reminds me of just how obnoxious you were regarding my views on RahXephon. I for one don't like helping those who won't help themselves. Until you've watched Armed Libriarians: The Book of Bantorra there's nothing to discuss.

And once again, no means no. If Fencedude5609 doesn't want to help you then too bad, that is his decision and you must respect that. He never insulted you in this thread, period, so if your feelings are hurt then that's not his problem, it's yours. If he had said 'I refuse to talk to losers like you", then that's an insult and you should report him. Him saying "Yeah, no" may be blunt but the slight is only in your head.

@Key:

I don't even like Fencedude5609, I think he's not a nice guy (to put it mildly). But in this particular instance I don't think you are correct in rebuking him. If you wish to do so (and god knows he needs it) there are literally hundreds of posts of his which are genuinely out-of-line that you can focus your attention on. Therefore I don't understand why you are making a fuss here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3