• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 2009 Anime Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Wow... Ed and Al, Armstrong, Hughes and Bradley got recast, but Ueda Yuji, who played Kimblee in the original series, is Havoc this time? It's like they kept who they could in the same roles, switched some people around, and filled in the rest with different actors. I would love to hear the reasoning, if anything particular, behind the partial recasting of original voices, if it's something other than availability.

I think you meant they didn't get recasted, because those who you mentioned did not. yay for more Kugimiya.
cnav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I may not watch it if its just a new Fullmetal Alchemist series not really based off of the manga.

From what it looks like Square Enix just ordered that a Fullmetal Alchemist anime be made without ordering that it be based off of the manga. So what where probably going to get AT BEST is the same thing as the first FMA anime series similar first half's completely different second halfs.

I am begenning to suspect that's why we haven't seen any info on wether or not this is actually based off of the manga, unlike say Hellsing Ultimate where it was stated right off the bat that this would a truer to the original Hellsing.

I don't understand why the hell they would release the name of some character named Isaac instead of say Dr. Marcoh.

u may have a point ..but cant u make out from the illustrations..and I've got some more news for u..which might erase ur doubts about whether this is following the manga or not...
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173087

read this..its a link which says that a new fma game is coming out and its gonna start from the 16th manga chapter..

maybe isaac is a part of a filler arc...maybe this anime starts off with fillers upto the manga chapter 16...(hughes death)...
cnav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Well this was bound to happen. Not everyone who worked on the old series would be available to work on the new one, or would necessarliy want to, so they had to do what they could. As long as the two main players are the same I'm good with everything else.

thats the way to go...i think people here are being too childish...droppping an anime just because the voice actors are not who they wished for,if thats not childish then i dont know what is...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
cnav wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I may not watch it if its just a new Fullmetal Alchemist series not really based off of the manga.

From what it looks like Square Enix just ordered that a Fullmetal Alchemist anime be made without ordering that it be based off of the manga. So what where probably going to get AT BEST is the same thing as the first FMA anime series similar first half's completely different second halfs.

I am begenning to suspect that's why we haven't seen any info on wether or not this is actually based off of the manga, unlike say Hellsing Ultimate where it was stated right off the bat that this would a truer to the original Hellsing.

I don't understand why the hell they would release the name of some character named Isaac instead of say Dr. Marcoh.

u may have a point ..but can't u make out from the illustrations..and I've got some more news for u..which might erase ur doubts about whether this is following the manga or not...
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173087

read this..its a link which says that a new fma game is coming out and its gonna start from the 16th manga chapter..

maybe isaac is a part of a filler arc...maybe this anime starts off with fillers upto the manga chapter 16...(hughes death)...

That says Volume 16 which is when Ed goes to Mt. Briggs

I would love to see an anime that shows all the stuff that wasn't animated, I wouldn't love to see just another anime adaptation that is just more anime without using the works of Hiromu Arakawa.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Ok seriously, who's Isaac? Marcoh's first name is Tim. Maybe it's some guy with one line or something. I'm happy their switching all the VAs around, it gives the show a new feel to it. I will be amazingly pissed if they deviate from the manga.
BrianaTheBard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Ach. I really don't know if I should watch this on fansubs as it comes out or wait for Funimation to pick it up. I can only imagine Ed as Vic Mignogna, Al as Aaron Dismuke, and all of the other English cast. I tried watching it in Japanese once, but I was so turned off by the fact that Ed and Al are played by girls that I couldn't finish the episode. Well, what are we going to do. I'll probably watch it anyways.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Ok seriously, who's Isaac? Marcoh's first name is Tim. Maybe it's some guy with one line or something. I'm happy their switching all the VAs around, it gives the show a new feel to it. I will be amazingly pissed if they deviate from the manga.

2ch has concluded "Anime original character"
cnav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
the main seiyu for me was edward's...thats it...waiting for this months shonen gangan for more info...
Karasu416

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
It's completely NEW. I've been following on about the second series since it was announced. It's NEW and is going to follow the manga this time.

Last edited by Karasu416 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
I understand why everyone is kind of angry due to the voice changes, either Japanese or English. For example, I was worried that the new Ghost in the Shell Innocence from Bandai wasn't going to have the same English dub actors (there was somewhat a lot of confusion there when announced). But, as long as the voices matches the characters then I'm o.k. with it.

If Funimation does get this I hope they do try to get the same actors though, it was defiantly a nice selection in my opinion. I know that Al might not possibly be the same V.A. because of him doing the role pre-puberty.
cnav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
i know this is following the manga thats it..i guess the guys at bones are holding up the main stuff(MANGA oriented stuff) till the end...none of the manga characters have been shown yet..but according to me,,all these are just tricks..seriously..people..trust me on this..

and i would also like to know if there is any guy named ISAAC in the fma novels..if there is,,then we have sumthn to worry about...
Uppa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Maybe they'll re-write the beginning of the series and gradually get closer to the manga as time goes on, eventually lapsing into it. Laughing
That'd be one way of avoiding covering old ground again!
Kisa Tsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Well this should be interesting.

I really liked Roy's Japanese voice actor in the first anime so I am a little sad that he won't be playing the role again. But still I am very excited to see the new anime. ^^
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Electrastar wrote:
I'm so dissapointed...I honestly don't know if I'll watch it, even if I was exicited about it. I loved the original Japanese cast, I can't believe so many actors were left out of the remake... Espicially the actor who played Roy, he did an amazing job as him..they cast a much younger actor this time which makes no sense... He played Roy in the OAVs and the games when the series ended, why would they change him now... it really sucks... I thought Japan always kept the same voice actors for roles (Unlike in US and Canadian dubbing) this is really a HUGE let down. Sad

Just saw the characters...who the hell is Isaac???

Some of the characters probably evolved differently in the manga than expected when the original anime was made, so the vision of how they sound is different. I mean, look who they kept. Ed, Al, & Maes Hughes shouldn't be all that different in portrayal between the 2 series

Not to mention--scheduling conflicts. If any of the old cast has found themselves a current gig on an ongoing title that tapes the same day, they would likely beg off doing the new title.

Quote:
Miki Shinichirou is known for Takumi in Initial D.

Miki is known for far more than Initial D
Miki does a lot of yaoi/bishonen cool guys, & he does his share of cool male leads in shonen. God knows he's been around awhile & is, in fact, the 5th name as of today on this site's list of Most Prolific VA's in Japan. Off the top of my head, he's been in Wedding Peach (Limone), Gatekeepers, Area 88 (TV), Scrapped Princess, Naruto, Weiss Kruez, Tokyo Underground, Kyo Kara Maoh, Haruka, Fushigi Yugi, Super Robot Wars, Pokemon, Black Cat(Creed), Bleach(Urahara), Descendants of Darkness (Tsuzuki), Det. Loki, FMP(Kurtz), Gakuen Heaven, Level C, Generator Gawl...
I think he can handle Roy Mustang.

Quote:
Orikasa Fumiko is Rukia in Bleach.

She will always be "Policegirl" to me.

Quote:
Ueda Yuuji was Kimbley in the last Hagaren anime.

THis is more likely the change in how the character evolved in the manga. I don't think there had been all that much of Kimblee in print prior to the casting of the prior anime. At one time at least Mr. Ueda was pretty popular to the point his role in L/R was made for him (according to Newtype USA).

Quote:
Hamada Kenji is Kirifuda Shouri in Duel Master. (Never seen it, lol)

If you're going to go off the encyclopedia listings, at least go for a bolded name like Harry MacDowel (teen)/Gungrave, or George/Paradise Kiss.

Quote:
Naduka Kaori is Nunnally in Code Geass. (I WANT SAIGA MITSUKI ;___; They better give Saiga Mitsuki a better role in FMA if she's not dubbing Maria Ross!)

But Saiga plays a lot of dudes, so maybe they wanted a more feminine association (I really prefer Saiga's dudes to Paku's dudes)
Or maybe Saiga's a schedule conflict. She seems to always have a few titles every season.

Quote:
Miyake Kenta is Corporal Randel Oland in Pumpkin Scissors (never heard of).

I mourn the loss of Okiayu, but stuff happens. He seems to be in enough titles, so I'll gamble scheduling issues or that Scar maybe played out a little different in the manga from where he was when the first title was cast.

Quote:
Takayama Minami is famous for Edogawa Conan in Detective Conan. She is also the singer of Two-Mix. I'm currently having difficulty picturing Conan and Envy together... ;

The issue is the last anime's director greatly enhanced Lust's role when in the manga Envy gets more screentime so this could be reflective of Envy being a biggger player than he was perceived of being in the last title.

Quote:
Yoshino Hiroyuki is Kai in BLOOD+.

He was in an ep (9 according to the encyclopedia) of FMA so this is a shuffle. He was Hibiki/Vandred.

Quote:
Yamadera Kouichi is Kurama from Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru *shot, no one would know the series *... or better known as Togusa in Ghost in the Shell? Who is Issac? Wiki says it's someone in the Ishbal war. Someone enlighten me.

Kouichi Yamadera is Spike Spiegal/Cowboy Bebop. I think most people here would know who Spike is more than the character you picked.

Last time out Sho Hayami played an Anime Original character. They often feel the need to create an original to the anime character so if Issac is anime original, it's not really a big deal other than an indication there will be some changes to the manga plot if not drastic changes.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
This really pisses me off. As an ardent fan of the original Japanese version, why would they recast the entire cast except for the leads and Hughes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13