• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
At what point or how many episodes do you drop a series?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masakaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 am; edited 7 times in total
V1046-R

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I am very patient & lenient on shows that aren't doing it for me, so watch most shows to the end. It just may take me forever to see the whole thing if I am not inspired to see the next episode though.

A show really has to suck for me to say, "Enough. I can't tolerate another minute of this BS". The last one that fit this description for me was Maken Ki...it was like someone took all of the worst things I don't like in anime & put them into one show. I made it through 3.5 episodes, then got so annoyed I stopped watching in the middle of episode 4 with no intention of going back.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
2. it has low rating on ANN (I don't really trust other sites).

Wow, so even if you enjoy a show, you'll drop it if some trolls downvote it. You must have a very low opinion of yourself to succumb to that on a whim.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Recently I made the decision to never incorporate a period of no return again. Even if I've watched 10 episodes out of a 12 episode series, if I genuinely do not like what I see, I'm dropping it. I dropped multiple shows halfway through or more last year. The most extreme example of this decision in use was watching 8 out of the 11 episodes of No. 6 and not going any further. I have no regrets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
The most extreme example of this decision in use was watching 8 out of the 11 episodes of No. 6 and not going any further. I have no regrets.

The final three episodes of No. 6 were particularly bad, so you dropped it at just the right time.
Masakaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 am; edited 9 times in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Recently I made the decision to never incorporate a period of no return again. Even if I've watched 10 episodes out of a 12 episode series, if I genuinely do not like what I see, I'm dropping it.

This. I think I first started this with Gurren Lagaan and Dual Parallel. I only had about 5 eps of the former and 3 eps of the later, but I just realized that I've already wasted too much time on these titles and there's no way the last few episodes are somehow going to change my mind on something that I haven't liked at all from the get-go.

I don't really have a set number of episodes that I give each show. I used to do the whole 3-5 thing, but subconsciously abandoned that. I basically just watch until I get bored or mad. A show has to be pretty dire for me drop it after a couple of episodes; like R-15 and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere or Rio Rainbow Gate levels of bad. Although I did watch about 7 eps of Horizon simply so I could defend myself from the "you can't judge it from the 1st episode!" crowd. Twisted Evil
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I have no set drop dead number. For example, recently I decided not to pursue Kingdom after less than 10 minutes of the first eppie. I do sort of have a point of no return, however. If I've made it to say, eppie 8 of a 1-cours, I'll probably hang tough to the bitter end. The one exception to this was Aria the Scarlet Ammo, which I somehow made to episode 10 before deciding, eff it.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I usually watch the 4 or 5 episodes of a long anime before dropping it and usually watch at least 3 episodes of a 12 episode anime before dropping it. The quickest I ever dropped was like 2 minutes into Kanokon. I hated the guys voice. He is in high school and yet sounds like a 10 year old girl...

But I do have a hard time finishing some animes.... I have at least 15 animes on my backlog with like 2 episodes remaining. Its not that I lost interest in the anime, it is more like I feel sad that the anime will end so in order to avoid that I just stop watching it and look for new animes. This is a bad habit that I hope will be fixed later on. Although this doesn't happen to animes that I feel are masterpieces or excellent.
tocahan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
I'll usually give a show 2-3 episodes. If you haven't hooked me by then, you probably never will. As far as a "point of no return", I haven't ever really had that happen yet. I prefer to think of them as being in suspension. For example, I've watch about half of Eureka Seven and then stopped. It's been a few years, but I fully intend to finish it, someday.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
I try and give normal shows three episodes to at least persuade me that they have potential. After three episodes of a show I ask myself if I really want to continue with it, and if I do continue on I do try and finish it.

For obviously bad ones I might watch the first episode just for fun or just to make sure they are as bad as they look. If their first episode offers enough I might even give them two more episodes to make their case.

That said, I've dropped things after ten minutes, after seven episodes, after seventeen episodes, after thirty-five episodes and after two hundred+ episodes. Sometimes you've just got to listen to your gut and if it is telling you that something ain't right then it might be good to take its advice.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
I've watched enough shows by now that I can often tell in the first ten minutes if it's something that I'm likely to enjoy, though usually I'll watch at least the entire first episode. I tried Accel World based on some comments in forums and dropped it after the first episode. As an older viewer, shows about school-aged kids have to be especially remarkable to hold my interest. I'm still watching Sakamichi no Apollon and Tsuritama for example. I knew from the first ten minutes of Dennou Coil that it was a series I wanted to watch. Usually if a show holds my interest past two or three episodes, I'll stick with it until the end.

Lupin III/Mine Fujiko provides a interesting contrast. It was clear that there was a considerable level of artistry and sophistication in that show, and I've watched about 7-8 episodes by now. Yet I don't feel compelled to follow it religiously because I have no interest in its unlikeable "cardboard" characters. Even the estimable Sawashiro Miyuki hasn't been able to hold my interest, but there's only so much she can do with Okada's script. I'll probably finish it someday, though, given my investment in the series thus far.

Since I almost never buy a series I haven't seen first, I don't have that sense of needing to watch something I've invested in.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
I give up when I don't liike it anymore. Thanks to the preview guides here on ANN, I'm doing really well at avoiding shows I would outright hate, so the usual reason is I've simply stopped caring.

How long that takes depends on how enthusiastic I was in the first place. For instance, I was really interested in Bodacious Space Pirates so it took 3-4 episodes for me to reach the point where I just never got around to making time to watch another one.

The bottom line is, I watch anime because I enjoy it, and if I'm not enjoying it, there's no reason to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh2ndrunner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess the simplest answer is that if I stop watching an anime and after a few hours/ a day or so I want to find out what happens next then I'll keep watching it. If I don't get that feeling then I wont return until I do.

Aquarion, for example. I watched until episode 14 or something but didn't get ANY urge whatsoever to continue it, so I didn't. With something like FMA brotherhood I was actually looking forward to when I had free time so that I could watch some more.

When they Cry was a unique one. I watched episodes 1 and 2 but thought they sucked (nothing grabbed me particularly). After a week it kept nagging at my curiosity to try and so I bulldozed through the whole two series. Glad I did it now.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Whenever my anime sense, honed from much experience and deep arduous mountain wilderness training, tingles; warning me of danger. With my anime power level, this is an easy task. Razz

There's really no set limit. I've dropped stuff after an episode because they had no redeeming value or were offensive, but I've also watched half the show or all of it before giving up on it becoming more than the sum of it's sucky parts. How much I watch depends on the individual show's storyline, characters, and content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5