• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Estimated 300,000 Visit Lucky Star Shrine on New Year's

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Incredible, an Anime show has impacted the area. There was a show they had too where the 'kids' ran around trying to collect the 12 special items on their visit to the town. I would love to see the house become real in person if I could travel. Way to go Lucky Star!
Now wheres that Lucky Channel attraction? . . .

If we tried to build or do something like that here we would be locked up in a funny farm! Laughing Can you imagine an attraction like that for some show on in the USA that didn't feature 'real' people?
Grico

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Its interesting to think of lucky star popular enough in Japan to create such a thing and have such a tourist impact. Good for the local economy certainly.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Of all recent shows, why does this one have the most pronounced real-life impact?
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I visited and took lots of pictures on 1/1.

Also bought 12 of the capsules - they were super easy to get because they had an alternative selling location away from the shrine in the parking lot and only about 20 people were there for approx. 1500 capsules. I traded some of mine and got three complete sets (2 for my friends, 1 for me)

The local residents LOVE it. Everywhere you could see Lucky Star related merchandise or pictures, or food items named after Lucky Star (Konata's Chocolate Coronet)

Washinomiya is a super rural/suburban town with maybe a population of several thousand - to have such a huge tourist influx is good for the economy and they love it. The proof? There's now a lucky star themed maid-cafe in Washinomiya. Hilarious.
hexenkessel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
i guess its good that those 300,000 losers actually left their houses and went outside for the first time in who knows how long.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
@W-General:

Would you post links to your pics? I'd love to see them.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
Sounds like there is enough interest to warrant a second season of Lucky☆Star sometime.

I like your way of thinking. Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Sounds like there is enough interest to warrant a second season of Lucky☆Star sometime.

As much as I would like to happen (as well as several other people I am sure) unless the cast of Lucky Star is in a college setting, I can't imagine another season because the cast already graduated.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Lucky Star, the english dub is fantastic; I am just being realistic. 300,000 is a large number, that should help out the economy a little bit. If I knew and could read Japanese, I wish I could gone.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of when Tenchi Muyo was the big thing, people made pilgrimages to the real cave used for the the depiction of Ryouko's tomb. Mostly ignored by the general tourists before, the area exploded with people visiting it, much to the glee of the local hotels and restarants in Okayama. It's still listed as "Ryouko's real tomb cave". Wink
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
sunflowerseed wrote:
Can you imagine an attraction like that for some show on in the USA that didn't feature 'real' people?

Yeah, it's called Disneyland.

(It's late... I tried to resist... Wink )
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
From the sounds of it the towns people seem to like the recent attention due to increased revenue of the visitors. It's good that they are getting something out of it.

Also, it's a shame to see some people in this thread bad mouthing some third of a million people. If you replaced the inspiration for the visiting the shrine with a sports event, concert, or even a public figure it automatically makes it okay then. Rolling Eyes I hope their social activities remain on the up and up in popularity.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
Wasn't last year's report the first shot at "if they're gonna come, we might as well make some money?" Sounds like the locals definitely are coming around.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
The last OVA wasn't that good, imo, but that's cool if they're milking the series for what it's worth by doing something creative and fun. I wouldn't mind going there myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
musashi1600

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
What about the shrine from Kamichu? Does anyone still care about that?
panzer.time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
I think this happened last New Year's too. In fact, I read this article in the Wall Street Journal (to which I have a subscription) about a month after I finished the anime itself.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
hexenkessel wrote:
i guess its good that those 300,000 losers actually left their houses and went outside for the first time in who knows how long.

Maybe you should have joined them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3