• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game Round 2~!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larinon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Heh, sorry dtm42, but I figured I'd have to beat you to it first Smile Good timing on that one, really.

As usual, I don't have any quotes ready, so someone else can take it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Thankyou very much for kindly giving up your turn. And I don't hold any ill will towards you, larinon. It was my own stupid fault for sleeping in.

Here is the next one. From the fansubs:

They say that one's eyes say more than one's mouth, but I must say that one's stomach is even more eloquent.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[The speaker carries a named sword. He has the rather silly habit of giving long-winded speeches and proclamations to his enemies right before almost every battle.]

Hint #2: spoiler[The speaker is a fiercely loyal retainer to both the main character and the main character's brother. The quoted line is his response to the main character's stomach grumbling from hunger.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
Had I been home when it went up (been out all day), I would have gotten this one after only the first hint, as I knew the title and speaker right away from that. I just had to look up the context:

spoiler[The speaker is Watanabe no Tsune talking to Hikaru (dressed as her brother Raikou) in a scene from the first episode of Otogi Zoshi where she is trying to press forward with their mission while Watanabe is counseling her to rest for the night - and then her stomach growls.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
Key, you are correct.

I didn't think anyone would get it after only those two hints. Well done.

Don't be annoyed that you weren't here for the first hint. I put up both hints simultaneously, as I had forgotten about the quote and had to rush to get the first two hints up before the first twenty-four hours were up.

I believe you called Tsuna a "blowhard" in your review of the first volume. If the quote had gone to a fourth hint, I would have used that in my hint. My third hint would have been how the show has two parts set in completely different ages.

Otogi Zoshi is a rather under-appreciated (or at least little-known) Anime. I'm watching it now; it isn't great, but it is enjoyable enough.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll put up a Minigame (Key is probably in bed right now).

What is the line right before this picture was taken?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
No, I saw this on my last check before going to bed (I'm a night owl on weekends), so I'll post the new quote and skeedaddle off to Dreamland.

For this one I will require who the quote is about, rather than who said it. From the subs:

"Thwack, thwack! They defeated them."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key, you are correct.

Otogi Zoshi is a rather under-appreciated (or at least little-known) Anime. I'm watching it now; it isn't great, but it is enjoyable enough.

Please let me know if this has a good ending. I've been dying to see this for several years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
"Thwack, thwack! They defeated them."

spoiler[The anime: Tears to Tiara
Source of the quote: Many, MANY pages of the picture book created by Ermin. If I remember correctly the line is spoken by Arawn as he is reading the book, but I might be mixing up the way the scene was done in the anime and the game.
Who it is about: Arawn and Pwyll (technically their swords - Edram and Dyrnwyn - as well, but again, that might be mixing up the anime with the game).]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
spoiler[The anime: Tears to Tiara
Source of the quote: Many, MANY pages of the picture book created by Ermin. If I remember correctly the line is spoken by Arawn as he is reading the book, but I might be mixing up the way the scene was done in the anime and the game.
Who it is about: Arawn and Pwyll (technically their swords - Edram and Dyrnwyn - as well, but again, that might be mixing up the anime with the game).]

In the anime version the book is first read by Limwris and then picked up and read by Arawn after she repeated the same line several times, and then a cartoony version of Ermin pops up and reads the lines a few times. Also, the anime uses "Edrum" and "Darwin" as the official sword names. (Yeah, I thought the latter was a bit incongruous, too.)

But you're absolutely right. Would it have occurred to you so quickly if the review about the series hadn't just come up?
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
But you're absolutely right. Would it have occurred to you so quickly if the review about the series hadn't just come up?

I looked at this thread before I read the review, but at that point I was in the "I know this one, but from where? I'll think about it..." stage. Then when I read the review and you referred to this scene it certainly didn't hurt. Laughing I wasn't sure how they wound up spelling things in the official release - TtT part 1 has been sitting on my shelf for a few weeks now, but I've held off watching it since my anime viewing circle has the series flagged for a future group viewing. Given that most of them are old-school fantasy gamers it will be right up their alley.

Here's the next quote. Shouldn't be too hard...

"Area Search? No way... she's been looking for me this whole time? But this is the deepest section, nobody could make it all the way down here..."

「エリアサーチ、まさかずっと私を探してた?だけどここは最深部、ここまで来られる人間なんて…」
"Eria saachi, masaka zutto watashi wo sagashiteta? Dakedo koko wa saishinbu, koko made kunareru ningen nante..."
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Total off the cuff with no research, and probably wrong, guess:

spoiler[Haseo to Saburo about Tabby during the Forest of Pain event in .hack//Roots?]
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Total off the cuff with no research, and probably wrong, guess:

spoiler[Haseo to Saburo about Tabby during the Forest of Pain event in .hack//Roots?]

Sorry, that isn't the right series.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
"Area Search? No way... she's been looking for me this whole time? But this is the deepest section, nobody could make it all the way down here..."

「エリアサーチ、まさかずっと私を探してた?だけどここは最深部、ここまで来られる人間なんて…」
"Eria saachi, masaka zutto watashi wo sagashiteta? Dakedo koko wa saishinbu, koko made kunareru ningen nante..."

Apologies to start with - I should have stated in the initial post that this quote is from subtitles. Now for a hint!

Hint #1 - spoiler[The speaker is a member of a group who work for the principal villain of the series. ]

And another...

Hint #2 - spoiler[Audi is not responsible for the design or performance of this character.]
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
I got the character and show, but I have no clue who the character is talking to and when the situation occurs.

Edit: So I'm waiting for the next hint, hoping no one gets it until then.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Hint #1 - spoiler[The speaker is a member of a group who work for the principal villain of the series. ]
Hint #2 - spoiler[Audi is not responsible for the design or performance of this character.]

And another...

Hint #3 - spoiler[Shortly after this soliloquy the speaker realizes - much to their horror - that the "she" being referred to doesn't intend on coming "all the way down here" herself.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 96 of 101