• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I cannot wait for review on Senpai wa Otokonoko, it's series I'm waiting most in this season. Manga is one of beloved stories of all time.
L0ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
L0ken wrote:
Plus unfortunately turns out that said gimmick spoiler[ isn't even relevant or explored much in the source beyond surface level, it could be easily replaced with any other language/culture since there aren't anything specific involving choice of 2nd language.]

spoiler[It's relevant insofar that Masachika's grandfather was an avid watcher of Russian movies, and it was there that he learned the language. The plot hinges on that.]

Quote:
I'm reading the source right now and honestly isn't impressed either, spoiler[ while there is some exploration of both MCs, series becoming more harem-like despite other girls having obviously no chance and most importantly - romantic progress between or MCs is reeeally slow. ].

spoiler[I don't agree on 'harem-like', the pairing is well established. The girl teasing him the strongest is his real sister and it is just that, teasing. Why they hide that fact is from family drama in the background which will become more prominent in the plot going forward.]

spoiler[What I mean by non-relevant and isn't explored beyond surface is exactly that. We know his grandpa was avid watcher of the Russian movies but they never went just a tiny bit specific on that on anything Russia related. Like what kinds of movies, maybe try drop some irl names, what part of culture or plot is interesting for them, how Alya and her sister being half-Russian display that side etc. Hence why his grandpa could have been by any foreign country movies fan and it would have not mattered, since it didn't get explored beyond that.

Main pairing is indeed very established, but there is some unnecessary harembaiting on the ride. On the recent LNs even side-characters is like "when would they get together already". And I'm aware of his family drama situations and wouldn't say this plotline full worked for me. Didn't help that progress of their relationship is still slow.]
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:57 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The only real critical thought I had during it was: what's up with the childhood friend trope? Maybe I'm just odd, but the idea that meeting a friend at ages 4-7 (?) was such a pivotal event that I'd still be wistfully looking back on it some ~10 years apart is kind've alien to me. I think I was entirely too forgetful and whimsical at that young an age to be so intensely attached to a relationship that didn't itself grow up with me.

I'm about 90% sure this is just one of those self-perpetuating cycles in anime. Like how nobody making anime today has ever seen a girl in those bloomer-style gym clothes, but all the anime they grew up with had girls in those gym clothes, so they draw it anyway. Same thing with, like, school swimsuits, eating lunch and hanging out on the roof, etc.
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:41 pm Reply with quote
The OP and ED to "I Parry Everything" had surprisingly good visuals.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
The only real critical thought I had during it was: what's up with the childhood friend trope? Maybe I'm just odd, but the idea that meeting a friend at ages 4-7 (?) was such a pivotal event that I'd still be wistfully looking back on it some ~10 years apart is kind've alien to me. I think I was entirely too forgetful and whimsical at that young an age to be so intensely attached to a relationship that didn't itself grow up with me.

I'm about 90% sure this is just one of those self-perpetuating cycles in anime. Like how nobody making anime today has ever seen a girl in those bloomer-style gym clothes, but all the anime they grew up with had girls in those gym clothes, so they draw it anyway. Same thing with, like, school swimsuits, eating lunch and hanging out on the roof, etc.

I will say that I had a Japanese exchange student in one of my classes this year, and when I asked her about it, she confirmed that (at her school at least) kids hang out together on the roof all the time. They even had a community garden that they worked on up there.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, could be it's just a trope used without a ton of thought at this point. (this was re: flamemasterelan; James is just too fast for me)

The premiere of Failure Frame was kind of interesting. Nothing revolutionary and the setup is awfully melodramatic, but, for the Arifureta clone it appears to be, the production was pretty competent throughout? I was actually kind of frustrated when the protagonist started to use his skills, though; the worst tendency of these kind of shows is to remove any real challenge for the main character. If it doesn't lean too hard into that, though, I could see myself keeping up with it.
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
the implication seems to be that there's no one right way to be any gender, and the only real answer is to just be yourself

Yes! Exactly that. With everyone in the main cast having a lot of baggage and decisions to make between them I love how this manga (and now the show hopefully) explores questions of being yourself and how hard can it be in society that doesn't understand.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
I presume, high school, prefers to dress as a girl at school, although I couldn't tell you yet if they identify as female.

This is going to be very important question for our protagonist, as the answer is unknown even to them at this point (I will use they/them pronouns as to not spoil their thoughts on the matter and their choice).

I hope the adaptation will be good, manga is among my all-time favourites.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:32 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
flamemasterelan wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:

I will say that I had a Japanese exchange student in one of my classes this year, and when I asked her about it, she confirmed that (at her school at least) kids hang out together on the roof all the time. They even had a community garden that they worked on up there.

Every school is different in Japan. When it comes to students' freedom like hanging out on the roof, wearing make-up or eating bento, high schools are generally more lenient than junior high schools. The JHS I taught at was strict in that regard: Cell phones & make-up were not allowed, wearing the uniform or gym jersey properly was quite important, access to the rooftop was impossible (and forbidden), and so on. That was more than 10 years ago, but still, I can't imagine a japanese JHS giving 12-15 year old kids that kind of freedom even today (maybe they are more relient nowadays when it comes to smartphones).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Out of Focus and Senpai is an Otokonoko are both really good so I’m enjoying their anime adaptations! My only gripe is the English subs for Senpai is an Otokonoko seem to be somewhat censored by the translator. I’m not sure why but hopefully it’ll get fixed going forward.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:03 pm Reply with quote
SinisterOracle wrote:
Twilight Out of Focus and Senpai is an Otokonoko are both really good so I’m enjoying their anime adaptations! My only gripe is the English subs for Senpai is an Otokonoko seem to be somewhat censored by the translator. I’m not sure why but hopefully it’ll get fixed going forward.

Can you clarify this?
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:20 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
SinisterOracle wrote:

Can you clarify this?

Let me rewatch tomorrow to be sure. I could be wrong. I have a splitting migraine from the fireworks.
pi8you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, Cheesecake Terrace, and Suicide Squad is fully locked in.

Alya Sometimes Hiders Her Feelings in Russian was pretty cute, an easy keeper for sure.

Days with My Stepsister near put me to sleep, with one unintentional laugh at the dramatic music playing over a bra getting picked up.

I Parry Everything did a much better job selling me on its lead than Ossam Newbie, but I can't get over that training regimen, how was that even remotely supposed to help with parrying?

Pseudo Harem was also very cute, but I don't know if I can stick with it if it doesn't break out of its short sketch mode.

Senpai is an Otokonoko left me neutral, leaning towards disinclined if they keep shortcutting the animation so hard but I'm sticking with it for the moment.

Failure Frame was as much of a dumpster fire as I expected. Someday the fantasy world pulling the busload isekai gacha will find its SSR of Actually Good Kids. Someday.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:44 pm Reply with quote
"Incensed, the goddess tosses him into a dungeon to die–but it turns out that Mimori's skills aren't so much worthless as they are abnormal."

I swear there was another isekai with this same beginning a couple of years ago.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Alya was a surprisingly cozy time. I was turned off of the manga on account of Kuze seeming just kind of insufferable, and "Troublesome to get a read on, if fine" is a resounding step up. Paired with some real gorge animation and cute sniping, sure, I'm down. It's a comfortably familiar brand of romcom just in my wheelhouse, and I do frequently appreciate those.

Red Cat Ramen was an absolute slog. Wooden, stiff visuals, plodding and notably repetitive dialogue, outright ugly at points, and an unearned emotional non-climax at the end that felt tonally disparate from everything before... I wanted to like it, but frankly, I'd rather watch Newbie Ossan, and I dropped that. But now I've dropped both. I really wish it was a half-length show instead, where it might have felt satisfactorily filling instead of oddly empty and leaving me yearning, with some cuts and more artful directing. Whatever, though.

I was ready to drop Giji Harem after the debut, since I was already plenty content with the manga, but I can't lie, it's hitting all the right, adorable notes that made me like it, and Hayamin is killing it as always. Might keep up with this one. Not the most glorious production, but it works well enough.

Stepsister about had my eyes glazing over, so I was utterly vindicated by the first half or so of Silverman's second paragraph, just my exact thoughts. Even jotting it down as "interminable" myself. On top the excessive lingering and tonal signposting, it never gave me a chance to sit and stew with what was happening, i.e. what the overdone piano numbers are ostensibly trying to provide! For something trying to be so barren, my rarely getting a chance to breathe really had me wishing the effort behind those effects were directed elsewhere. I like the little character movements and Saki's post-credits sequence was lovely; nor was it, technically speaking, the only 'lovely' thing. But it just ain't for me. I'm delighted to see relationships blossom slowly, I just ask to give me at least a single thing to actively latch onto, and I could never get that. Hiten's illustrations do translate well, I feel, which I did like as well. Likewise the believability of the two's core energies. That's just, like, a start though. Dangers it ain't.

Parry, more than the occasional giggle that the similar show brought, just had me pleasantly smiling along at what a genuinely affable and likable man Noor is, and how logically his own path to growth followed. The guy clearly took his parents' teachings and spirit to heart, and on top of what those themselves mean, just had me feeling for the guy. It's nothing spectacular, sure, and isn't winning awards for unique qualities or outstanding elements -- but it's endearing, and somewhat, vaguely, reminds me of the recent Healing Magic in terms of imbuing the familiar fantasy isekai (or "standard JRPG"-esque action fantasy as it were here) with simply convincing character fundamentals and just enough charm otherwise. You can really see the happy little kid in Noor when he finally got accepted, and I smiled right there with him. I think I'll keep up with this; it's just pleasant.

Failure Frame isn't a great show. The revenge fantasy is cut-and-dry, almost-everyone is cartoonishly evil or unable to do anything with their limited means of fighting back, its genre tropes are comically familiar right down to the terribly subtle name of "Vicius" and turning one of its bullies into a bully, and more than anything for me the... nakedly uninspiring survival of the fittest without any substance to such a dismal framework (the fact that the MC is a guy is second fiddle for me but also not doing any favors). Still, I like it. The monsters look suitably otherworldly, even if animating Mimori in CG during some of those sequences somewhat brings it down. I like the designs and voice acting, especially Vicius (who I know from looking ahead is just noxious from multiple angles), and I can't lie that it tickles my neurons in the exact right way. More than almost everything else that's aired so far, really. (Although I expect Out of Focus and Otokonoko to clean the floor with everything prior, when I get to them tomorrow.) Even at their worst and however misgivings I may state, I'm simply frequently entertained by these subzero to superhero plot lines. I'll have to put it on hold, but am excited for when it's time.

@ pi8you: The sketches do end up eventually morphing into overarching plots, I am pretty sure. It's been years and my recall isn't always the best, but it does track, for what it's worth.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan (My Deer Friend Nokotan)

Came out yesterday (2024-07-03), but no review and not available to vote on in Your Score: Simulcast Week of 2024-06-28. Why?

Gimai Seikatsu (Days With My Stepsister)

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
...Days With My Stepsister has such glacial pacing in its first episode....
...The problem is that it's interminably boring....
...Day-to-day details are all treated with a seriousness that they don't merit....
...But that's the overall feel of this episode: mild. Mild surprise, mild annoyance, mild actions, etc.; nothing is important, and life goes on. I suppose that's the definition of a slice-of-life show in some ways. I could see this feeling soothing for that reason, but it's not my cup of tea....

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
...Well, this premiere starts off right away telling you that's not the case in far more words than I care to quote. The following episode then proceeds to insist and reiterate that no, this isn't one of those kinds of shows. Nobody's getting stuck in the dryer here, thank you very much! Yet if an episode this plodding and uneventful is the alternative, I'd almost prefer the trashy sex comedy instead....
...The problem is that basically nothing happens in this episode....
...Yet by the time credits rolled, I wasn't intrigued to see more or excited to watch these two grow closer – I was just thankful it was done....

James Beckett wrote:
...On the other hand, though…Days With My Stepsister is just unbearably dull. That's the other side of the coin when it comes to treating your characters like real people instead of emotionally unstable drama dolls: Real life is pretty boring!...
...I cannot imagine myself watching any more of it in the future. Unless, of course, my melatonin craps out, in which case it would be handy to have such an effective sleep aid at my disposal…

OK, so everyone that reviewed the show was predisposed not to like it because the type of show that it is (the pacing and lack of loud and obnoxious action/behavior are intentional) and not because the show has any real flaws. Why even bother to write a review at that point?

Well, on the other hand when a show gets reviews like these they do have some use in making very likely it will be something that I love.

James Beckett wrote:
...rather than going the route of ripping the poor parents' relationship apart so as to make their kids' love more acceptable in the eyes of God/The law/Everyone else in the world....

I will not speak for God, but I know of a couple of Christian ministers that had no problem performing the marriage ceremony for step-siblings, the State of Illinois has (or at least had) no issues with it, and no one in the small town I lived in objected when two step-siblings started dating in high school and later married (and are still married more than 30 years later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 26