• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
River24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I have been thinking for a while, and I think the problem here it's the lack of urgency.

Everybody is just walking around and talking really calm or saying irrelevant stuff to waste time.

Worst of all, the super intincrate plan of the baddies to seal Gojo its 100% enterally dependant on this lack of urgency, had Gojo be faster, had Itadori be faster, had they not walked around, cracked jokes or being melodramatic everything would have failed.

To this day I still don't get the order Gojo attacked his assailants. Why the close combat one and not the long distant one?

No idea, he never gives a reason, besides the fact that had he attacked the sniper guy everything would have been finished earlier.

Did we really needed an irrelevant explanation of why would it be bad for Gojo to die?

No, we didn't, but we had 2 extra minutes in the episode and we can't used them to say something relevant, because that would be interesting.

We should have various characters doing plans, making deductions, and taking logical steps, exposition should interesting and smart, risk should be calculated and taken because there is no time to waste, this is a desespérate situation with thousands of lives in the live and it feels they are hickings.

I feel the author read HXH or HeroAca and said "I can make a multi team assault too!", no, you can't, you are in the Dragon Ball or Bleach ballpark, stay in there.

You arent making any sense at all, the urgency is now since they are let known that Gojo is sealed. Just because some characters crack jokes doesnt mean there is no urgency at all, even HxH or One Piece crack jokes in supposed urgent moments.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
"Worst of all, the super intincrate plan of the baddies to seal Gojo its 100% enterally dependant on this lack of urgency, had Gojo be faster, had Itadori be faster, had they not walked around, cracked jokes or being melodramatic everything would have failed."

First of all, Itadori nor anybody else knew Gojo was about to get sealed, nobody in their right mind would believe that there would be something bad happening to him, since he is Satoru Gojo, basically a demi god who never loses and can solve anything, so thats why Gojo was alone doing the heavy lifting while everyone else were doing their own things.

And not only the baddies cleverly set up a lot of counters for Gojo, but you also conveniently forget that Gojo as a character is an arrogant asshole full of himself and thats something that bit him in the ass, and the bad guys used a lot of his flaws to their advantage. And no, killing Choso first (if thats the sniper guy you are talking about) wouldnt have made much difference, not to mention he was already restraining himself to avoid killing civilians in the process, so a long ranged attack would have been risky and with a lot of collateral damage.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
"We should have various characters doing plans, making deductions, and taking logical steps, exposition should interesting and smart, risk should be calculated and taken because there is no time to waste, this is a desespérate situation with thousands of lives in the live and it feels they are hickings"

And thats isnt exactly what happened in this last episode? We got people to know about Gojos sealing via Mechamaru to Itadori, then via Itadori to Nanami and everyone else, we got to know about the major veils surrounding the area and how they would take them down for then proceed to B5 where Prison Realm (Gojo) is. Then also the bad guys having their own plans aswell going forward. Nothing of what was said is irrelevant.

Clearly you are simply looking for something to complain at this point. And this clearly has more detail than MHA, the fact that you put MHA as some kind of standard alongside HxH is hilarious, when out of all the shonens in recent years the one most similar to HxH is precisely JJK, especially in how technical they are.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
1- The urgency was 2 episodes ago when uncountable people were trapped, Gojo being sealed its just another layer on it, the show however has not made anything to transmit this to the audience, there is no tension nor feeling of dread.

And I hate One Piece precisely for this reason, and no, HXH knows when to make a joke, JJK doesn't.

2- They didn't need to know, that's the problem and I hate the narrative excuse of hubris I conder it lazy writing, sorry. Also, killing Choso first was the proper decision, Gojo did the equivalent of going after the tank while letting the ADC run free, makes 0 sense.

We are supposed to think Gojo is going to long extents to avoid killing people...but running and stop doing lame one liners.

3- MHA its baseline because its a well narrated generic Shonen, it's the bare minimum, JJK doesn't get to it then it's not doing the bare minimum and no, this thing it's nowhere close to HXH.

And if you actually think that this episode was somewhere close to get to what I was asking of it when asked characters planning or taking calculated risks then I suppose the conversation it's over, we are obviously operating in 2 different dimensions.

A lot of people on this conversation have said that they don't care about what it's happening, this is the reason: there is no tension nor palpable urgency nor feeling of danger, if I am wrong I would love to know your explanation of why its that.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
To this day I still don't get the order Gojo attacked his assailants. Why the close combat one and not the long distant one?

No idea, he never gives a reason, besides the fact that had he attacked the sniper guy everything would have been finished earlier.

He quite literally says "Weed, this is the third time we've met, and you're still underestimating me. I'm going to kill you first". He's had like 11 years of being the absolute strongest, which allows him to make capricious Gojo choices(not necessarily good ones). At that point, Jogo had only killed a handful of people in front of him, and there wasn't hundreds more civilians and transfigured humans added to the mix yet; he thought he still had the overall advantage.

Your consistent misunderstanding of what's going on every week along with having to compare the series to every other shonen in WSJ history makes me question why you're even bothering with this show. Confused
River24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
1- The urgency was 2 episodes ago when uncountable people were trapped, Gojo being sealed its just another layer on it, the show however has not made anything to transmit this to the audience, there is no tension nor feeling of dread.

And I hate One Piece precisely for this reason, and no, HXH knows when to make a joke, JJK doesn't.

2- They didn't need to know, that's the problem and I hate the narrative excuse of hubris I conder it lazy writing, sorry. Also, killing Choso first was the proper decision, Gojo did the equivalent of going after the tank while letting the ADC run free, makes 0 sense.

We are supposed to think Gojo is going to long extents to avoid killing people...but running and stop doing lame one liners.

3- MHA its baseline because its a well narrated generic Shonen, it's the bare minimum, JJK doesn't get to it then it's not doing the bare minimum and no, this thing it's nowhere close to HXH.

And if you actually think that this episode was somewhere close to get to what I was asking of it when asked characters planning or taking calculated risks then I suppose the conversation it's over, we are obviously operating in 2 different dimensions.

A lot of people on this conversation have said that they don't care about what it's happening, this is the reason: there is no tension nor palpable urgency nor feeling of danger, if I am wrong I would love to know your explanation of why its that.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Do you want the characters to sudently start screaming and crying? They are in this job as sorceres for a reason, and even then they are still concerned about the situation, we are getting emphatized what would happen in a world where Gojo is out of the way and how humanity in Japan is doomed if they dont do something about it. Now theres ton of curses, curse users, and the special grades roaming around, but some characters are still hopeful they can pull it off, because they dont know the level of threat they are dealing with yet, they are simply jumping to the unknown.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
killing Choso first was the proper decision, Gojo did the equivalent of going after the tank while letting the ADC run free, makes 0 sense.

Jogo and Hanami are WAY stronger than Choso, they can wipe out the entire station in a whim, Gojo simply couldnt let them run around uncheked just to go for Choso. Nothing would have changed. Not to mention Gojo already said to Hanami it was his final strike

Also, you said "a lot of people in this conversation" when is just the reviewer and two more people, and not exactly because they dont care, but more to do with the fact that we are a bit slower in this part of the arc. Also this site isnt exactly a parameter for anything anyways, most people in any other place and social media are loving this and is being pretty well received.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:06 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

You know, the problem here is that I know that, but that's my complain, you can claim that Gojo its on character and you would be 100% right, the problem it's that I dislike characters like Gojo because they suck all the tension away from any scene they appear on.

By the way, I always compare all plots of series, books, anime or whatever between them, I like to analyse history telling in general and comparing plots its part of it.

What I am doing here it's trying to explain why other people here feel underwhelmed by the current arc: There is no tension, if you have another explanation I would love to hear it.

River24 wrote:

No, what I want its diversity on thought and and sense of urgency, the previous arc actually did it fine, the scene of the girls breaking the infinite hallway it's a good example of smart thought, and the fight of Geto vs the Armed Guy was an excellent example of generic smart fight.

The scene of Gojo going crazy was also well done and kinda horrific on its own way, I didn't buy Geto's heel turn, but I have seen worse *cough*anakin*cough*.

...Dunno, I think I am being too hard on this thing, it's the first pure battle Anime I have seen in a while and I think I am having "Vietnam flashbacks" after what happened to Bleach, I see Gojo as a Urahara clone and I also quite dislike Urahara.

I will try to be less judgmental.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

You know, the problem here is that I know that, but that's my complain, you can claim that Gojo its on character and you would be 100% right, the problem it's that I dislike characters like Gojo because they suck all the tension away from any scene they appear on.

I don't like characters like that either, generally. I was just pointing out that he clearly gave a reason for which order he fought guys in; it was just an arbitrary, lackadaisical one.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:52 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I have been thinking for a while, and I think the problem here it's the lack of urgency.

Everybody is just walking around and talking really calm or saying irrelevant stuff to waste time.

Did we follow the same thing?

No, because I have big doubts.

I don't feel like the characters are calm, apart from the fact that the characters have known it for a short time, sentences like "If Gojo has been sealed, it's the end for the humans of this country" by Nanami or "Gojo's presence was the one who could put a stop to the enemies" of Ino are quite eloquent

For now we have seen Nanami and his group move, now let's see what's next.

Quote:

Worst of all, the super intincrate plan of the baddies to seal Gojo its 100% enterally dependant on this lack of urgency, had Gojo be faster, had Itadori be faster, had they not walked around, cracked jokes or being melodramatic everything would have failed.

I don't get it. what's your point ?

Quote:

Because Choso is the weakest in the middle, so it is irrelevant for Gojo, who prefers to aim for the strongest, namely Jogo and Hanami

Quote:
Did we really needed an irrelevant explanation of why would it be bad for Gojo to die?

No, we didn't, but we had 2 extra minutes in the episode and we can't used them to say something relevant, because that would be interesting.

Irrelevant.

Obviously, anything that even serves to delve a little deeper into the world of opera is irrelevant.

But if the characters just fight each other, everyone says, "Oh, what a drag, just beatings, beatings and beatings, there's never any in-depth analysis.
Quote:

"We should have various characters doing plans, making deductions, and taking logical steps, exposition should interesting and smart, risk should be calculated and taken because there is no time to waste, this is a desespérate situation with thousands of lives in the live and it feels they are hickings.

I feel the author read HXH or HeroAca and said "I can make a multi team assault too!", no, you can't, you are in the Dragon Ball or Bleach ballpark, stay in there.

I mean, as I thought, you didn't see the episode.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:59 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

With Gojo, there can be no emergencies, because he does everything anyway.

This is how the characters reason, and they are not entirely wrong. No one could have foreseen the seal.

Quote:

Choso is infinitely weaker than almost all the characters present in the station, Gojo gained nothing from killing him first, at most he saved the lives of some civilians, but Jogo and Hanami are much more dangerous, we are talking about a walking volcano and of a wandering forest, if they had been left free they would have done much more damage.

Quote:

Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean it isn't there.
db999

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:16 am Reply with quote
I’ve been enjoying this arc more than a lot of people, but I do agree that the last 3 episodes specifically are not quite at the quality people have been hyping it to be, other than episode 33, but I think the reason why should be quite clear, and I’m wondering why no one who’s disliking the events has talked about it, but the arc is still quite obviously in the setup phase of the arc. Episode 32, other than the fight with the grasshopper, was completely set up, episode 33 was fantastic, and episode 34, for the most part, is more set up. Like I know this arc has been heavily hyped, but it’s barely started so I’m still not sure why so many are so disappointed. Now if from here on out the arc doesn’t pick up, now that the setup is complete, then yeah I think there will be real cause for concern, but so far I really don’t see any huge issues with the arc thus far. I mean we have another 15 episodes left, and the other arcs once they've got going, have been really good so I'm pretty sure that now is when the arc should pick up.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
, and episode 34, for the most part, is more set up..

What did you expect?
db999

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Guy Tizio wrote:
db999 wrote:
, and episode 34, for the most part, is more set up..

What did you expect?

That was exactly what I was expecting. You seem to be operating under the misunderstanding that I'm criticizing the show, but I'm not I'm actually defending the show here
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Either I missed something, or the show doesn't really give a reason why Mechamaru didn't just send his ghost thing ahead of time to warn them about Shibuya? He said he made it to activate when this particular thing happened, but why not give them the heads up?

When I was talking about it with my bf he said there was a chance they wouldn't believe him anyway and he only had a short time to do this, but would that really be the case? At that point he has nothing to really lose because he's dead, and even if they were doubtful of his claims, I feel like the crew would be on guard just in case because of this plan being allegedly so wild and dangerous.

I guess it's just an oversight so plot happens, but I couldn't help but question it.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
Either I missed something, or the show doesn't really give a reason why Mechamaru didn't just send his ghost thing ahead of time to warn them about Shibuya? He said he made it to activate when this particular thing happened, but why not give them the heads up?

When I was talking about it with my bf he said there was a chance they wouldn't believe him anyway and he only had a short time to do this, but would that really be the case? At that point he has nothing to really lose because he's dead, and even if they were doubtful of his claims, I feel like the crew would be on guard just in case because of this plan being allegedly so wild and dangerous.

I guess it's just an oversight so plot happens, but I couldn't help but question it.

There's a mole somewhere in Jujutsu High that's leaking information, so warning everyone would lead to something bad, I guess. It's also why he targeted Yuji: he's too new to sorcerer society to be the mole. I think he also needed to make sure Yuji wasn't around others or something, so he decided to plant his spy gadgets where he thought Yuji might run across them during the Shibuya Incident. It's... not the most airtight justification. And I'm probably forgetting something too.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah... this episode confirms it.

I don't hate the show, I just can't stand Gojo nor non-Geto, I like it enough when they don't appear.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Between the reviews for this, Bleach, the latest Demon Slayer season, heck, certain episodes of MHA during the first arc of the last season, I can see why some people are getting upset. It seems like ANN critics have either started being harsher on these big Shonen action titles, or it’s all a coincidence. If all it takes to pull you out of a show is a fight with side villains, you’re in the wrong genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 58