• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Carolina Student Removed over "Death Note" List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
names written in a book do not equal death threats.

When the book says "Death Note" on the cover and directly references a fictional object that's used to kill people, then yes, I believe it does.

And who says that the kid wasn't referred to all sorts of counseling services? Just because the article doesn't mention that fact doesn't mean that it didn't happen.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Let's me realistic here. Writing down names in a book does not automatically constitute a death threat, unless it was in another student's book (which it appears was not the case).

Where was the threat? Did other students know that their names were being written down? Because if they did not know until after the student had been "removed", then by definition there was no threat.

And what is wrong with wishing people dead? I will readily admit to doing so. It is human nature to want people you hate to die. Who here has not wished for Osama bin Laden to suffer an agonising death, for all the pain he has caused?

It (wishing people dead) only becomes a problem when what was simple fantasising is acted out in real life.

Hence, I do believe that the school should have intervened. But to "remove" him from school for being a careless human being seems incomprehensible. The student in question has been punished far out of proportion. The humiliation of even a suspension can be traumatic enough.

Allow me to ask of you a question: do you believe that the student will be more or less likely to attempt to kill if they are suspended or expelled? What about if the student is emotionally unstable, and bringing the Death Note to school was a warning sign? Sending the student home with heavy handed punishment seems counterproductive to me. Was there any referral to a counselor?

In my opinion, the best course of action the school should have taken was to bring in the student's parents, and have a good old fashioned talk (student included).
Get them to talk openly about the problems they face at school, and offer to help sort it out.
Ask them if it was all a distasteful joke, and their reasoning behind bringing something like that to school.
Ask them what a Death Note actually IS.
Ask them why those seven names were there, and if those students had been bullying the student.
Explain to them why the school is taking the matter so seriously.
Warn them not to do it again.
Offer counseling.

Anything but sending them home, to be angry, humiliated, and despondent. Home is where Death Notes should stay, I admit. But home is also the usual resting place for the household gun(s).

My point being, the school has a responsibility to the students, staff, and property, in that order. Failing to help out students who have displayed warning signs, and indeed deliberately pursuing actions that harm those students further, makes me wonder who the school administration can think they are "protecting" the students.

I think people forget that the perpetrators of the Columbine Massacre were teased and bullied, and that their rampage was aimed at lashing out at those who had harmed them. If schools are so indifferent - and indeed hostile - to its students, then it is no wonder that students vent their anger towards schools.

Of course, with so little information given, I cannot say why the student brought the Death Note to school for, what the student's situation was, and why the school acted so seemingly harsh. I would like to think it was just a Death Note fan horsing around, and not thinking of the consequences. And unless more information come out, then that is what I will believe.

To summarise:

It was not a death threat, unless the offending student told the seven explicitly.

It was possibly done as a joke.

If the student wanted the seven dead, then as long as s(he) never planned to actually kill them, we can say that the school should talk it through with the student, not automatically resort to a suspension or expulsion.

The school was correct to intervene in this instance, but......

Schools must learn to properly handle potentially at-risk students better, or those same students will take out their anger at the other end of a gun.

Did a teacher even READ the Death Note? I would be willing to bet if the teacher was a kiwi, they would either laugh, or tell me to grow up. A book that can kill people? As we say here: Yeah, right.

Therefore, the teachers in some countries are either paranoid, do not read the Death Note before doling out punishments, or actually believe in Shinigami.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
names written in a book do not equal death threats.

When the book says "Death Note" on the cover and directly references a fictional object that's used to kill people, then yes, I believe it does.

And who says that the kid wasn't referred to all sorts of counseling services? Just because the article doesn't mention that fact doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

Yes, fictional.

Sigh.

You think anyone is going to believe a book that claims it can kill people forty seconds after writing their names down?

Sorry, but legally speaking, you cannot threaten to kill someone if you don't actually threaten to kill.

They have to believe that you are going to kill them.

This threat must come directly from you to them, either by speech or writing (that is sent to them by you). Anything else is hearsay (like if your friend says to them that you will kill them).

You do not have to actually mean to kill them, but if you make them think that you mean it, then that is still threatening to kill.

I sat on a jury, where one of the charges was threatening to kill. I learnt a great deal about the precise definitions of certain laws, believe you me.

Note that this applies to New Zealand law, I cannot say whether this interpretation is applicable anywhere else.
Kaguzuchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:34 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it was the "instructions on how to kill" section of the notebook which got him screwed (which someone mentioned earlier).

copied from sales pitch

http://www.399animeshop.com/anime/death-note/death-note-notebook.php

-Death Note Notebook

This Death Note notebook is THE Death Note Book featured in the anime/manga series. Includes instructions in the book on how to 'kill' people. The perfect back-to-school gift or for cosplay! Measurement is 8.1" by 5.5"-

If it was just a note book with "Death Note" or some other variation of death written on the cover, I doubt the kid would have gotten in much trouble for just writing names on it. Unless of course, he wrote out the method of death or puts KILL LIST as a heading. Otherwise, he would probably be labeled as a Goth kid or something similar (no offense of goth people).

But, seeing as detailed instructions on how to use the notebook were written on the book, immediate action is the only option for the school to take.

The school officials have to look out for themselves. If they didn't do anything and something did happen to any of those seven kids, the school officials would face a shit storm for not acting on it when they had "suspicions" and heads would role and whatnot.

So in this case, they take they take extreme measures towards the "better safe than sorry approach" and also get to promote how strict there safety policies are! Wink

Furthermore, there comes the issue of whether or not expulsion is too extreme. At first I thought it was, but then I thought about what would happen with a suspension. Say the kid gets suspended for 2 weeks. When he comes back, if the names of the seven kids fall under the "bully" category, I'm pretty sure they're going to make his life hell...which in turn might push him over the edge and make him do something stupid, which could be bad for everybody. Another point is that the kids gonna get labeled as someone potentially dangerous which probably wont allow him to make many new friends or at least not the kind that think happy thoughts Surprised . Finally, if your the parents of another kid going to that school, I'm pretty sure they would make some type of fuss about him going back to school which would ultimately create more problems for school officials.

However with the expulsions, if the parents wanted to too, they could appeal the expulsion decision. This in turn would bring about some type of big hearing or whatnot in which case whether or not the kid would be considered a threat can be determined. If he's safe, other kids and parents might back off a little. If he's not then the school did the right thing in kicking him out. Plus, he'll be under so much scrutiny that bullies and other kids wont have the opportunity to beat em up too much.

In the end, the schools did what it had to do but it does suck that this generates more negative publicity towards anime which seems to be the only type we get. Crying or Very sad
Why cant we get something like Hello Kitty anime saves kids lives or something like that!?Very Happy

-also, yeah, I know theres a punchline in there somewhere with that "perfect back to school gift" part Shocked
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
Something I want to get off my chest:
I promised myself not to ever come back to message boards, a new year resolution. Oh God, how tempting it is to read for hours people ranting and rationalizing (Yes, I actually read the whole thing). In a sense, I have found most of my inspirations for my writings by reading what people says in these kind of forums (Thank you guys). Adding the element of anime just makes the experience more sweeter. I have never been a fan of forums, oh God how I hate to listen to psuedointellectuals even though I am one as well, but I believe that forums serves a part of humanity, oh how subtle and progressive it is.

Which Side:
I was not too surprise when I first read the report. I did not even think twice about the school's judgment. I know that all of you guys, at least the ones with some sense, know that this kind of thing would happen, the rule of eventuality.

In my high school days, I have seen a several, seven I think, school riots. The fear I have seen there gave me a picture of how much worst things could get. The point I am making is that actions are justifiable to protect the safety of the greater public, like balancing something that has the potential to start a fire, the kid.

Of course the kid is going to be opt out, like he or she is already. Detering less attention from the kid while he or she is being counseling would be the best for the school and the child. Such attention is degrading and probably is not going to make anything better if the kid goes back to school, oh how embarrassing.

Death Note is awesome, but remember it is just a show little kiddies. The show is meant to be enjoyed and give the audience another point of view, making us think about our society. It is nothing life changing, at least not for most of us, but it is already part of the so subtle sociological process. What is a middle schooler even doing up that late anyways? Adult Swim, very funny since I can assume most of you guys have already watched the series and read the manga way before this event.

Remember, that these kind of these is going to happen and will keep on happening. The most the we, as a society, can do is educate and take care of our kids better so we can lessen this statically absolute. The schools itself is doing its part, so do not go all over saying that schools are being paranoid. The point is if we want change then we must change ourselves.

Lastly, I want you guys to analyze my view. I like making my point of view better. I am open minded, even though I am a devout Christian Traditionalist. I do not like arguing, but I like seeing other people's point of view, not matter how absurd. Anyways, I need some help on writing my essays, so having you guys read my comment and reply on it makes my style better.

Thanks for reading.
Lord Dolmus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
I think all of the kids who use Death Notes should receive some form of punishment. If I found out that someone put my name in one, I'd be afraid for my life. Not everyone in the world is ok in the head and they might do something dangerous.
hogkill3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Can we really say the school went overboard, I mean when it comes to a note wishing death upon someone, it isn't something you can take too lightly especially with what's been going on, I've had friends before on hitlists and have even been on one myself and it isn't something you can really just look over.

sailorsean wrote:
Joe anime wrote:
The school went a little overboard here.

i agree with you...i have a death note too and me and my friends use it at school but we don't let the teachers see it... i mean its not like were actually gonna kill someone...its really just a good way to release stress in our opioion... hell every child should have a death note so that there wouldnt be anymore bullying and death notes would be a stress releaver

Seriously, do you even hear yourself? A Death Note is better than a student talking to his parents about the bullying or a counselor? It's very emotionally unhealthy not mention dangerous, if I found a Death Note with my name in it I don't think I'd consider it "oh they were just releiving stress." Like someone said to you earlier get another outlet, wishing death upon someone is immature, stupid, and just doesn't reflect well on you, I'm sure you're not a bad person but what you're doing is extremely wrong.

lol yeah dude what you are doing is extremely wrong and dangerous! If you keep it up L will be after you in no time. Rolling Eyes

And to all the people saying they would be scared if they found their name in a death note, you are clearly Americans. Why you are scared about threats on a daily basis is beyond me. Maybe if these kids hadn't been bullying the other kid she wouldnt have written their names down in the death note. Sure it's childish, but it's definitely not punisment worthy; The headmaster needs to calm down and stop smelling his own farts. Protip: get in a fight with the bullies instead of writing their names down in a fake Death note. Nothing like a good bloody nose to get people to leave u alone; worked for me.

If americans want to adress the real issue of safety in schools they need to address gun control, not what some upset kid has been writing in his journal. I for one have never heard of anyone getting killed in schools via having their names written down in a notebook, but I have heard of kids kiling other kids with guns; something nobody should have access to. But until you do (and you never will) address these issues you will see a lot more killings in schools where people will point the blame at everyone but the american constitution. Also fighterholic is a retard

Last edited by hogkill3 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Lothar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
Hartsville Middle School
1427 14th Street
Hartsville SC 29550
Phone: (843)857-3000 | Fax: (843)332-9532
Contact form: http://hms.dcsdschools.org/contactus.aspx

Why let a bunch of random anime strangers know your opinion when you can go right to the source?
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And what is wrong with wishing people dead? I will readily admit to doing so. It is human nature to want people you hate to die. Who here has not wished for Osama bin Laden to suffer an agonising death, for all the pain he has caused?

I have never wished for bin Laden to suffer an agonizing death. Gosh, I hate to bring religion into this, because people flame so bad when it is, but I have no other way of explaining myself. So, forewarning: you are about to read a verse out of the Bible. It's not a sermon, but a quote. Get over it. Razz

I have been a Christian for 12 years now, and as I have continued to get my arrogant ass kicked by scripture (what, "socially acceptable" isn't enough?!) I have found myself slowly losing my ability to hate other people. I can't explain it, other than the fact that I just don't feel "hate" anymore. I may say, "I hate Americans (I am one, though I live abroad)," but what I really mean is that I'm currently feeling frustrated towards American culture. So, though I may sometimes catch myself thinking that this world might be better if people like bin Laden were dead, I would take no pleasure in actually seeing him killed, particularly if it was in a painful way. And I'm not trying to sound high and mighty; I really mean that.

As for wanting people dead not being a bad thing, those of us that believe that the Bible is true (note: not all Christians believe this) would say it is. Jesus, whom we follow, specifically talked about it. He said, "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire." [personal note: these verses are an example of the Bible kicking my ass, because I used to be a very angry person.][2nd personal note: I changed.]

Now, since this took place in South Carolina, in the so-called "Bible Belt," it's no surprise that people are taking this seriously. Chalk it up to a cultural misunderstanding if you will, but don't say that these people shouldn't have acted that way. According to their culture, yes, they should have. They are trying to uphold a value that is important to them. I admit that counseling would have been great, but 1) we don't know if they offered it or not, and 2) they can't force a child, even a minor, into counseling if they don't want to go.

Also, as an extra note. I am a huge fan of Death Note, and I think it is possibly one of the most important anime/manga to ever come out, because nobody can seriously read it and just call it entertainment. It demands more.
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Gosh, I hate these type of stories. Why is it that everyone is so freaking sensitive over stuff like this. The kid was probably just playing around. I swear, I hate society sometimes.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
I think the student will win eventually because he never physically or mentally harms other people. And that death note never post any safety threat to the school.

If the parents have to bring it to court, the lawyer can always bring up the 1st amendment. Of course, the school can always make a rule that you can’t write the word “death” and “note” together.
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
What amuses me about this is that even though the protagonist of Death Note is irredeemably evil, his megalomania resonates with angsty teenagers who go emulating him (even though writing a name in a notebook isn't gonna do anything outside the realm of fiction).

It's stuff like this that makes me glad I'm not in high school anymore.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
saiyajedi wrote:

It's stuff like this that makes me glad I'm not in high school anymore.

Amen to that. No on knows nothing about this kid, but I have to wonder if he is like the dozens of anime fans I know. People who got picked on because of their hobby. Back in high school, people use to make up everything. hey- she's reading a book full of porn!
Teacher, get rid of it- yuck!
And i'd be reading peach girl.

You get what i'm saying- people had a tendecy to hate what they couldn't understand.

I agree with dtm42- the school (if the boy is a wannabe murderer) probably just preceeded to make him even more angry.

He (?!) also outlined the perfet way the school should have handled it.

Top Gun- First thing first; the book can Happy Go Lucky Rainbows fluff Kittens and still be whatever you claim it to be.

Just because someone has a book, and writes down a name it doesn't mean they're going to kill him. You're blowing this way out of proprtion. No matter what the context of the book. The only way they have a case is if the said people drop dead in the amount of time. otherwise, they can see its harmless.

Right- I forget this is the Media we're dealing with. They like to toss the bad things out. Its too late for consueling after they kicked him out- that should have been their first step.

I'm trying to understand how a place where you learn can be so idiotic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Yes, fictional.

Sigh.

You think anyone is going to believe a book that claims it can kill people forty seconds after writing their names down?

Sorry, but legally speaking, you cannot threaten to kill someone if you don't actually threaten to kill.

They have to believe that you are going to kill them.

This threat must come directly from you to them, either by speech or writing (that is sent to them by you). Anything else is hearsay (like if your friend says to them that you will kill them).

You do not have to actually mean to kill them, but if you make them think that you mean it, then that is still threatening to kill.

I sat on a jury, where one of the charges was threatening to kill. I learnt a great deal about the precise definitions of certain laws, believe you me.

Note that this applies to New Zealand law, I cannot say whether this interpretation is applicable anywhere else.

So you're telling me that, in your own infinite wisdom, you wouldn't feel the slightest twinge of trepidation if you found out that one of your classmates had written down your name in a copy of the Death Note? That you wouldn't give even the slightest thought for your own safety or for the true intentions of said person towards you? If not, then I would submit that you would be a fool. It doesn't matter if the Death Note is fictional instead of real. Not one bit. The sole point of this object within its originating series is to kill someone. That's it. The fact that someone would even consider writing their classmates' names down in such an object, even if they cried "joke" until blue in the face, would make me immediately question their mental stability.

You. do. not. joke. about. killing. people. Is that so hard to understand?

Oh, and where in the article does it say that the student was expelled? The phrase used was "removed from school," which could just as easily mean a suspension as anything else. Now who's jumping to conclusions here.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay then, I'm getting a lot of PMs and reports of personal attacks. So in Light of that, I'm shutting this thread down since some people don't know how to be civil and argumentative at the same time.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9