• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 Manga Gets New Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Blkwolf99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Do you think Inuyasha will be getting a remake? been debating on a rewatch then watching the sequal because I never finished the original was watching on adult swim.

Thespacemaster wrote:
Hi remember me?

I was the one who said that the most likely title to be remake next would be Ranma 1/2 in the ursuei yatsura forum.

I was right on the money Anime hyper

Yeah while i still love the og manga/anime this def going to cause some issues with modern audience i mean heck even i cringed at some of the stuff the original showed back than.

Happosai is the largest issue most have, to be fair people don't really condone his behaviour even in the series he is treated as a horrible being. As long as they highlight this and he still suffers the consequences of his actions, i think it will be alright but we shall see.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:08 pm Reply with quote
#Blkwolf99 wrote:
Do you think Inuyasha will be getting a remake?
Yes.

Most likely around 2027.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Essedess wrote:
You picked the ONE instance where the beating was 100% deserved, and in fact demanded by both Ranma and Ryoga?

She beat them up for what was an accident?

And it was okay because they asked for it out of guilt?

And as pointed out despite her being so angry over it she spends the next 300+ chapters walking around with the same shortened hairstyle she got angry enough to hit Ranma & Ryoga for?

None of that justifies that. As mentioned female characters hitting male characters for disproportionate behavior is a dumb trope in addition to being a problematic double standard.

Gamen wrote:

Genderfluid is one interpretation, and I've seen arguments that she's outright a transwoman, but... My interpretation is that he's just guy playing a role. Ranma is always looking for a way to get rid of the curse. He does not see his girl form as part of him. By analogy, girl Ranma is like an MMO avatar. Ranma can control girl Ranma however he likes, and anything that he does with her, or is done to her, it's all just an act; he's a Guy In Real Life. Eventually he's going to get rid of her. He's just taking advantage of her while he's got her.

This all reminds me of that chapter of of Ranma somehow winding up with clones of his female and male self who fall in love with one another. It also reminds me of the fact that Ranma (and everyone else who was cursed) in the final chapter isn’t able to cure himself because the pools conveniently got flooded at the last minute.

So Takahashi didn’t payoff another premise she built up for the early parts of the manga.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:17 pm Reply with quote
#Blkwolf99 wrote:
Do you think Inuyasha will be getting a remake? been debating on a rewatch then watching the sequal because I never finished the original was watching on adult swim.

I think it's too soon given Yashahime is still pretty recent.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha is the least anime that needs to be remade when it was already a complete adaptation and adapted the material the best that it's going to be adapted and it was a faithful adaptation. And any remake probably wouldn't have V6.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:40 pm Reply with quote
One small item to clarify from my prior post: when I said Ranma qualifies as gender-fluid, I wasn't asserting the he does or would identify as such, but rather that the character is literally gender-fluid, flowing from one gender to the other at the drop of a, hrm, at the drop of a bucket, I guess.

And also, come one, the pun is right there folks: Ranma's gender-fluid because of a gendering fluid.

Gamen wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
That may be a fair point: TBH I tend to use "allegory" pretty interchangeably with "applicability," because -- in many cases -- it's often a distinction without a difference. And perhaps more critically: what's the appropriate noun for applicability, anyways? [...]

Applicability is a noun Very Happy (I think I know what you mean, but I don't think there's a word for something "made to be applicable") Yeah, I use them to actually make a distinction; an allegory is what the author intended e.g. an episode of Star Trek reframing a contemporary issue in its sci-fi universe. But said allegories are still applicable to other issues new and old, since history repeats. ...I don't know if it's worth pushing back against you though, because who really uses language that precisely anyway? but I do think of allegory as requiring intent, while that which arises from themes to be applicable.

Hah, yeah, I've never been great about identifying the parts-of-speech. It all kinda just goes in one ear and out the other. Didn't hurt me much outside of German classes, which introduced me to a whole new set of linguistic vocabulary to immediately and totally forget.

As for intent... I'm definitely gonna have to push back on that one. This is the whole "death of the author," thing, ain't it? Plenty of authors may not *like* how their work can be read, but that doesn't make those readings invalid -- a story doesn't have to be penned as an allegory to be read as such. And on the sci-fi track, the biggest example I can think of in recent memory is the concept of regeneration in Doctor Who, which was only ever intended to be a plot device to explain-away recasting the titular character, which later grew to become allegorical for a number of things, including body dysmorphia and transgenderism.

Conversely, it's also very possible for a story to be deliberately written as allegorical only for it to... not function as an allegory, due to one deficiency or another.

If we could only interpret media the way the creators' of that media intended, well, the field of media criticism would be much smaller and less interesting place, I think.
Gamen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
And also, come one, the pun is right there folks: Ranma's gender-fluid because of a gendering fluid.

...if you're going to start making puns I'm not going to continue a silly and off-topic argument over definitions. I'll just... appeal to authority.

J. R. R. Tolkien wrote:
I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other resides in the purposed domination of the author.

That's all it is. I say applicability. You say allegory. We mean the same thing. (I think)
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
As for intent... I'm definitely gonna have to push back on that one. This is the whole "death of the author," thing, ain't it? Plenty of authors may not *like* how their work can be read, but that doesn't make those readings invalid...

People can obviously be free to interpret a text however they want, but to claim something to be true (within the context of the work) other than what the author intended is factually wrong. If the text can be interpreted differently from the author's intent, that is just a failure on the part of the author to express his/her ideas in a manner the reader can understand properly. What Takahashi states is Ranma's gender (if she has done so) is what we need to accept.

Gamen wrote:

J. R. R. Tolkien wrote:
I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other resides in the purposed domination of the author.

Did not know that J. R. R. Tolkien was participating in the discussion. Wink

Quote is from the Foreword of The Fellowship of the Ring for those who want to see it in full context.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:

Of course, there are some cases when old titles simply get a sequel years later, but those are exceptions, not a rule.
That literally just happened with Inuyasha but ok. Rolling Eyes
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:21 am Reply with quote
I think some of you are reading too much into this. Ranma ½ is a comedy made in the 80's and 90's, with the things that were considered "funny" in those years ("Wouldn't it be funny if a boy turned into a girl? And a man into a panda? And what if a girl couldn't cook at all?"). Some jokes have aged well, others less so.
But if anything, it lacked consistency from the start. A few examples: characters came and went (dr. Tofu, Kodachi, Azusa…). Akane had a crush and a ton of suitors, until she didn't. Ranma was hell-bent on reclaiming his "manhood" until he relaxed and enjoyed life —or Takahashi/the show writers remembered. It wasn't meant to be a serious essay about gender ideas and expectations in Japanese society in the late 20th century.
Of course, readers and audiences are free to read/understand it as they please (even more "Western" ones), but to paraphrase Rumiko Takahashi: "I don't think about it, and I don't think you should either".
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:04 am Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
Honestly, I think that if they're faithful to the original manga to any degree, people are going to realize just how poorly the writing has aged. Just about every aspect of the show is going to be seen as "problematic", whether it's the Chinese characters being walking stereotypes, or the male cast all being perverts one way or another. And seriously, you think people hate Mineta from MHA? Next to Happosai, that kid's practically celebate.

That sounds like more of an issue with certain people becoming more close-minded and adverse to certain topics as they became older rather than an issue with the series itself. Are any of the characters in Ranma really any worse than Rudy from Mushoku Tensei or other modern pervert characters? I would say no so that means the writing hasn't aged at all if those kinds of jokes are still being told. I'm sure people will complain about the show but people complain about everything. That is not a knock on any show itself but the people who have an issue with this stuff. And just because people complain doe not make them right or worth listening to. I'd argue nothing actually ages poorly it's just some people themselves become vastly more sensitive and close-minded as they age or their tastes simply change. Most people's don't however. That's why they're making a new Ranma in the first place: because the majority of people (especially in Japan) still enjoy these types of shows. The people complaining about the way Ranma depicts gender or sex are not the target audience for this and not worth bothering to listen to.
Bertram

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:21 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
If we could only interpret media the way the creators' of that media intended, well, the field of media criticism would be much smaller and less interesting place, I think.

It sounds like you're not actually interested in what the creator wants to say or what story they want to tell is and are only interested in how you can use someone else's creation for your own benefit. That might work for an IP where the original creator died ages ago like Star Trek and Dr Who who have no authentic creative voice anymore and are just glorified fanfiction in the modern age for anyone to do with whatever they want but we're talking about a personal work belonging to a personal mangaka here. I don't think it really works out that you can disagree with what Rumiko Takahashi says about a character or story.

Personally, I'll always value stories from human creators with a clear vision in mind and not just namebrand IPs for fans to interpret and use for themselves.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:39 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

As for intent... I'm definitely gonna have to push back on that one. This is the whole "death of the author," thing, ain't it? Plenty of authors may not *like* how their work can be read, but that doesn't make those readings invalid -- a story doesn't have to be penned as an allegory to be read as such. And on the sci-fi track, the biggest example I can think of in recent memory is the concept of regeneration in Doctor Who, which was only ever intended to be a plot device to explain-away recasting the titular character, which later grew to become allegorical for a number of things, including body dysmorphia and transgenderism.

Conversely, it's also very possible for a story to be deliberately written as allegorical only for it to... not function as an allegory, due to one deficiency or another.

Yeah, nope. It's fine to see similarity in author's work to some other issues from your or others' experiences that author never intended, and to enjoy it more due to that, but it would definitely make any reading or interpretation as such in wrong and invalid. If you're making author's character and trying to make it into something else, you;re just trying to co-opt that character into whatever personal political agenda or other issues you have, especially if , for example, people later start to demand voice actors to fit their own readings.

If you empathize with character in a way author didn't suspect, it's cool, but if you try to make them into something author didn't intend, that's just disrespectful appropriation. Write your own story, good enough to be as popular, instead of taking other people's stuff as your own.

It's funny how people can be against cultural appropriation yet actually encourage even more egregious artistic appropriation.

As for abuse comedy and characters all being not-so-nice-people, that's actually what makes abuse comedy good or at least bearable. It means that every time character gets undeserved beating , it can be treated as karma for another shitty thing that character did to someone else without suffering consequences. That's valid comedy genre, and considering the popularity of Konosuba, it's not "passé" at all, if done well.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:44 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
It's fine to see similarity in author's work to some other issues from your or others' experiences that author never intended, and to enjoy it more due to that, but it would definitely make any reading or interpretation as such in wrong and invalid.

Orson Scott Card's intense homophobia doesn't mean people are wrong when they argue for homoerotic subtext in his books. Things can take on unintended meaning. And sometimes even writers don't realize why they're drawn to certain topics, and then they revisit their writing years later and realize "oh shit, this was about my relationship with my mother".

At the very least, "playing with gender" is a huge driver of the comedy in Ranma; gender in general, and people's relationship with it, can't not be a theme. And its presence isn't incidental. Even in Urusei Yatsura, it was clear Takahashi found the topic interesting -- if nothing else, look at how much presence Ryunosuke had in the manga immediately after her introduction, even compared to other debuts for characters who became regulars. And of course the fact that "blurring boy and girl" was the specific concept she carried over from an Urusei Yatsura as the basis for her new protagonist -- the starting point for Ranma Saotome wasn't "teenage martial artist", arranged marriage, or even the concept of a water-based curse, but gender.
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:37 am Reply with quote
#Blkwolf99 wrote:

Thespacemaster wrote:
Hi remember me?

I was the one who said that the most likely title to be remake next would be Ranma 1/2 in the ursuei yatsura forum.

I was right on the money Anime hyper

Yeah while i still love the og manga/anime this def going to cause some issues with modern audience i mean heck even i cringed at some of the stuff the original showed back than.

Happosai is the largest issue most have, to be fair people don't really condone his behaviour even in the series he is treated as a horrible being. As long as they highlight this and he still suffers the consequences of his actions, i think it will be alright but we shall see.

Way too soon. Unlike Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha did have a (mostly faithful) and complete adaptation, even if rushed for the last dozen volumes. I would wait another decade to be honest.

Mao would definitely be the next candidate for a Rumic anime as the story seems to be entering its final arc (and will probably wrap up in the next 1-2 years), unless another remake is on the table.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11