• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I hope this doesn't spell the end for Sentai/Hidive though, I'd like for there to be some competition in the market
I can see it both as a positive and a negative for them. With all these titles Crunchyroll are even more of a better option than Hidive, so a choice between the two is simple for most people. On the other hand they have now lost one of their biggest competitors, so anyone who has multiple accounts are more likely to choice Hidive as one of them.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:47 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I can see it both as a positive and a negative for them. With all these titles Crunchyroll are even more of a better option than Hidive, so a choice between the two is simple for most people. On the other hand they have now lost one of their biggest competitors, so anyone who has multiple accounts are more likely to choice Hidive as one of them.

While they don't actively market their anime as much or if any, there is still Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, and Amazon Prime to compete with.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
I suspect some Funi content will disappear as CR will find it too niche or controversial.

More content will become geo-locked so "not available in your region" will become the bane of subscribers lives.

Sentai & Hidive could actually gain users if they can pickup the more obscure/outrageous series that CR management might be reluctant to stream due to puritanical American censorship.

Sony & CR need to get the balance right or it'll simply push more people onto the high seas of piracy where everyone looses.

In my ideal world CR would simulcast subs and dub the popular shows properly at a later date.

The best option being Dual audio with switchable subs. If the pirates can offer that, CR needs to offer that at the bare minimum.

They potentially have the library, they need consistent Subs/Dubs etc. to offer a better option than piracy...
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
If you are on google play and just got charged recently (I say within 48 hours) open a refund request, and it should be granted. There shouldn't be repurcussions, as I have told funimation support and they are okay.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I suspect some Funi content will disappear as CR will find it too niche or controversial.

There doesn’t seem to be that much difference in what they’ve been prepared to host to date. It was Funimation that most notably got cold feet about a series it had started to stream (Interspecies Reviewers), while Crunchyroll’s the one currently simulcasting World’s End Harem.

Quote:
Sentai & Hidive could actually gain users if they can pickup the more obscure/outrageous series that CR management might be reluctant to stream due to puritanical American censorship.

There aren’t that many series a year that seem to be passed over for content, though.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
Ugh, is there any point in having VRV anymore? I feel like I should just switch to Crunchyroll and then get HiDive again (since apparently they are separate and have some things I'd like to watch...)
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Still, somehow this gives off more of a 'bummer' feel than when Crunchy/Funi was under VRV. Funiroll was clearly the name they should have used.

Nah, Crunchimation or CrunchyFun woulda been better.

CrunchyFun all the way, baby! That was totally the name I wanted to see Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I mean, come on, who doesn’t want to have crunchy good fun watching our beloved anime?
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Ugh, is there any point in having VRV anymore? I feel like I should just switch to Crunchyroll and then get HiDive again (since apparently they are separate and have some things I'd like to watch...)

I believe VRV is dropping too, as it has similar language to that of Funimation.

A link to their FAQs reveals more.
https://help.vrv.co/hc/en-us

https://help.vrv.co/hc/en-us/articles/4467462600596-Moving-to-Crunchyroll-FAQ
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I believe VRV is dropping too, as it has similar language to that of Funimation.

A link to their FAQs reveals more.
https://help.vrv.co/hc/en-us

https://help.vrv.co/hc/en-us/articles/4467462600596-Moving-to-Crunchyroll-FAQ

All right then. Just cancelled VRV and will switch to Crunchy membership after March which I'm paid through ... Gonna sign up for HiDive, too. To keep Funi or not ... I'm going to finish Nekopara at least lol
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Just great, now the main place to stream dubs will the one service that has some kind of bizarre animosity against the concept of closed captions.

This! I second this! And isn’t that kind of illegal? Doesn’t it violate the disabilities act or something?

Most seasons, I watch 1 dub show with a hearing-impaired friend, and Crunchy makes it IMPOSSIBLE. Shame on them!!! I hope the merger fixes this issue.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Sentai/ HiDive already send a lot of stuff to CR now? They should stop.

HiDive really should take this as an opportunity. THEY will be the "other option" now and need to distinguish themselves as something other than an also-ran that shows a higher percentage of horny shows.

Maybe team up with RetroCrush or another niche streamer to make HiDive something other than "The Sentai Channel"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
And isn’t that kind of illegal?

I don't know. It certainly is profoundly ignorant though. Countless people have been begging for it ever since they started streaming dubs, but they've been told to go pound sand. It's still run with exactly the same attitude as when it was a bunch of kids operating a piracy site, whereas now it's not only a major business but approaching monopoly status.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Just great, now the main place to stream dubs will the one service that has some kind of bizarre animosity against the concept of closed captions.

This! I second this! And isn’t that kind of illegal? Doesn’t it violate the disabilities act or something?

Most seasons, I watch 1 dub show with a hearing-impaired friend, and Crunchy makes it IMPOSSIBLE. Shame on them!!! I hope the merger fixes this issue.

Didn't FUNimation even get sued concerning accessibility on their website. While I don't think that was a concern for their streams, I'd think they would take it into consideration on their move.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I’ve heard that some series have changed to the home video version on CR now, like DxD.

Giving a look through the DxD on Crunchyroll, it does look like all seasons of the series have the dub credits. I just hope such updating is done on a very thorough basis, even better would be including Crunchy titles that never had a history with FUNi, but at least the FUNi stuff. Honestly I prefer Sentai's method of including credits after the episode, but any method is better than no credit ever.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
And isn’t that kind of illegal?

I don't know. It certainly is profoundly ignorant though. Countless people have been begging for it ever since they started streaming dubs, but they've been told to go pound sand. It's still run with exactly the same attitude as when it was a bunch of kids operating a piracy site, whereas now it's not only a major business but approaching monopoly status.

Unfortunately, in the United States, the ADA requirements for closed captioning only apply to material produced by public and federal government entities and content that aired on television that is also published online. The majority of Crunchyroll content doesn't air on TV. Though I wonder if the argument could be made about something like the Demon Slayer dub, which did air via Toonami. Unless the Demon Slayer sub is considered close enough, even though the subtitles don't match the English dub. Or cable TV is considered different (not sure about this considering cable does have CC).

I do agree that CC on dubs really should be an option. It is an option in most Funimation simuldubs (though they can be inconsistent).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13