• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Izetta: The Last Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
@1idd0kun Well to be fair, it was what his aide told him the priority should be, not necessarily what the Emperor's priority is. And given that he is the emperor and not his aide, he can make whatever he wants the priority. Either way he will try to preserve doing both as much as possible. Though if you see poor writing in that plot line, I'm not sure I can disagree with that.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Izetta came out of the palace once, until then she pretty much stayed in it. Funny you would claim that Germania couldn't possibly invade Eylstadt without a plan but then also claim they should be trying to assassinate her on a spur of the moment cases where she just randomly happen to walk into town. (that's what a logical reasoning is btw)

As far as Izetta coming back to Eylstadt, she can't fly there in a straight line (energy area) and she can only fly at full speed in region of strong magical concentration, she also can't fly over any region with AA and we actually don't even know if she can keep her max speed for prolong period of time. Germania front line was already very close to the capital from the few map we saw before hand (much further than German was from France when they invaded it), and the invasion was well under way when they had to stop, restarting the entire thing and hitting them quickly enough shouldn't take very long. The Eylstadt army is already in very poor condition and couldn't even resist when Germania tried to attack them when they were in peak condition, they also apparently have literally no air force (nothing impeded the bomber when they were bombing the fortress despite the eylstad knowing they were going to be attacked) so they wouldn't be able to resist a blitz (mountain don't do much to stop plane).

Ultimately Izetta is a very good plane/gunship (with low amount of ammo reserves), in urban warfare she wouldn't be much help so as long as the Germania can get to a town before she shows up her effect would be minimal (most invasion involves hundreds of tanks and tens of thousands of soldiers, she would need to slowly take them out one at a time), plus we saw this week that the new plane can keep up with her and be a real danger to her, so rather than waste the new plane on a test (that only worked trough extreme luck, its the first time we ever hear of region with abrupt change of magic, so they must be very rare), they could have invaded the country and just keep the plane in reinforcement in case she shows up (and if we talk about luck, the capital is devoid of magic so they would have been just fine).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Izetta came out of the palace once, until then she pretty much stayed in it. Funny you would claim that Germania couldn't possibly invade Eylstadt without a plan but then also claim they should be trying to assassinate her on a spur of the moment cases where she just randomly happen to walk into town. (that's what a logical reasoning is btw)

Why do you assume I think they should assassinate her on "spur of the moment" cases? My initial comment was that I was surprised they weren't even planning an assassination attempt. I by no means thought that such an attempt would be easy or done quickly. My surprise stemmed from the fact that they weren't even trying, despite clearly having agents in the country. However, being reminded that the Emperor wants her alive was sufficient answer to why such an event wasn't even being planned.

And as for the rest of our post, again filled with points that don't make sense. Remember, the Germanians don't know exactly what her weakness is. They don't know she can't fly in a straight line. They don't know that she's restricted by ley lines. They've seen her evade machine gun fire from fighter planes so why would they assume that AA guns would be any more successful in bringing her down? Not to mention that flying at night or low to the ground pretty much takes AA guns out the picture anyway.

Based on what the Germanians know, they have no reason not to assume that she couldn't make it back in a timely fashion. They have already been replused twice in a humiliating fashion. They have clearly decided not to attempt a third sortie until they have a better grasp of her powers, which makes sense.

Sorry, but your contention that the Germanians had no reason not to invade simply because they knew she was out of the country holds no logical water.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Having a scantily clad person flying astride a giant phallus/gun might be sexy and all, but how cold must it be flying through the European Alps or the Nordic fjords? And, what about the inevitable bugs that hit your face/eyes at 400 km/h?

I don't know why the writers didn't give Izetta the power to create a magic shield to handle issues like this. That same skimpy outfit wouldn't be much protection should one of those planes actually hit her. Of course, as usual, the enemies are remarkably poor shots.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was absolutely great. Several important things happened, it had great pacing and it had an unifying theme throughout that was well executed. The crappy designs of background characters is still bothersome, but the strong direction and general production values make up for it.

Izetta is very close to becoming my favorite show of this season.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was indeed excellent, a real highlight. I too had a brief moment where I wondered if they might totally swerve and not get the leyline map to the Germanians.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I have to say though that Elystadt security forces blow. They actually knew there was a Germanian spy in the area who was trying to get into the secret room ... and they still couldn't prevent it. Not only that, they couldn't prevent Izetta's secret from falling into Germanian hands. How tough can it be to guard a friggin' room?

Other than that, however, an enjoyable episode. Way to blade an erstwhile ally, Atlanta.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
So she can snipe the guy from the top of the wall of the castle but can't actually see some other dude walk up to the corpse and retrieve something from it? I'm not sure about the assertion that the Elystadtd security aren't incompetent, between that and the fact that they did let 2 (minimally armed) person just breach a caste with there most important secret. Also they apparently never even noticed the giant ruby. Also that whole impossible love things, they spend like a day together, during that time he insulted her favorite story and saw her naked, love know no bound. Rolling Eyes

The party was also pretty awkward, couldn't they have made even the slightest attempt at hiding Izetta identity, and they weren't even suspicious when some random girl just bit Izetta? It's not like you can get poison by getting bitten, right? But nope, probably nothing special, let's just immediately forget about it.
slau783

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
"the episode doesn't address – namely, that the allies have an information leak that led to the surprise attack on the carrier last episode becoming an ambush"

I thought they addressed that at the end of the last episode. It was not so much an information leak, but a well laid trap by the Germanians. Belkman explained that they sent that carrier out knowing that the allies would try and attack it. A surprise attack will fail and turn into an ambush if they are expecting it from the beginning and planned for it. It was bait to confirm his suspicions on Izetta's powers. How he knew Izetta was there is a totally separate issue, but I guess visiting foreign dignitaries may not be that hard to find out once they arrive. Once he knew that fact it would not be too hard to assume they would try to use Izetta's abilities to sink the carrier.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
How on earth didn't Finé recognize Berkman? Didn't they meet each other on the train? You can't possibly expect me to believe that the mask was so effective at concealing his identity.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
It's the Clark Kent Syndrome.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
How on earth didn't Finé recognize Berkman? Didn't they meet each other on the train? You can't possibly expect me to believe that the mask was so effective at concealing his identity.

She expected no one to know who she was, just because she was dressed like that. At least she's consistent, I suppose.

If everyone's praising this episode and it ended up being the one I liked the least from the show so far, I think it's time for me to bail. The whole Spy x Bianca thing was atrocious, as was Fine and Izetta just ignoring someone who comes up to them, bites one of them, passes out, knows who you are, and then up and leaves. Yeah, that's normal, I suppose, off to a meeting - no, let's not let anyone know that some people we didn't count on have possibly figured out the point of this party, why would we do that? Just ruin the mood like that.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
She expected no one to know who she was, just because she was dressed like that. At least she's consistent, I suppose.

But that would be really stupid of her. When you're the freaking head of state of a country of course everyone knows who you are.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
I have to say there are quite a number of big plot threads to go through in the next 4 episodes like the eventual fight between Izetta and that supposed White Witch, Germania and possibly Atlanta going on the full on assault, and the overall story going full parallel to what the fairy tale described maybe even defying the ending. It makes me wonder if this show was originally planned for 2 cours but got cut down to do 1 cour.

Aerodynamic41 wrote:

I checked the first episode, and he didn't reveal his name towards Fine at all in the train. I'd imagine Fine did recognize him in the ball while trying to keep her composure. And then her girlfriend got kissed by another girl. Laughing
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I checked the first episode, and he didn't reveal his name towards Fine at all in the train. I'd imagine Fine did recognize him in the ball while trying to keep her composure. And then her girlfriend got kissed by another girl. Laughing

She didn't need to know his name because she saw him in person back in the train. And if Fine did recognize him, she wouldn't have asked who he was like she did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 18