• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
I have to admit that as influential as the original anime was in bringing me into anime, I really don't understand the point of this remake. They could of either done something new with the story or redid the original with top-notch animation. Instead we have a rehash with average-at-best animation. It's still the story I love, but I wanted to see something new. We'll see what happens when Venus is introduced. I believe that's when the manga really diverges from the original anime.

All criticism aside, I do hope the ratings allow Toei to animate the rest of the series. I would like to see a manga accurate version of SuperS and Stars animated.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Technically the anime diverges before that (the manga can't diverge, it's the original story), because the Rainbow Crystal arc is completely new to the anime.

Regardless, however, after Jupiter's introduction is where the 3 versions diverge.

The manga goes into Usagi/Tuxedo Mask stuff, then immediately into Venus > Princess > Moon > Climax.

The anime goes into the Rainbow Crystal arc, then Venus > Princess > Evil Endymion arc > Climax.

The tokusatsu goes Sailor V the Princess > Sailor Venus > Darkury > Princess > Mio > Climax.

I have a feeling that after Jupiter's introduction, we're going to start seeing more divergency from the manga, because otherwise we'll be halfway done with the first arc, which is, I believe, all they said is being animated.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
You're right. It's been a while since I read the manga. I mostly remember the silver crystal reveal and the ending being much different.

For the record, I do know that the manga came first. I just worded it poorly. Embarassed
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I have a feeling that after Jupiter's introduction, we're going to start seeing more divergency from the manga, because otherwise we'll be halfway done with the first arc, which is, I believe, all they said is being animated.

Yeah, it does feel like what I refer to in movies as "Chocolate Factory Syndrome":
Where producers, needing a new spin on an old recognized favorite, suddenly play the "Source loyalty" card and say "We're going to be CLOSER TO THE ORIGINAL this time!" (and fans immediately start praising it for being closer, by demonizing the earlier version)...And then simply making their own changes and throwing in tributes to the better known version.
Which is the same thing the live-action version claimed, but then went way off the road map.

It's not as bad as some of the movies guilty of this, but like Haruhi and shamisen said, there doesn't seem to be much point to the series--As the original version didn't catastrophically ruin the original manga stories, and the filler was more entertaining to watch just as a show about Usagi and her friends.
It seems to be just there as an anniversary stunt, but without Junichi Sato, doesn't have its heart into the cute/eccentric/fantasy characters enough to be anything else.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Junichi Sato can be a total pervert though....and he wastes no time showing us this in the older series... Rolling Eyes
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Junichi Sato can be a total pervert though....and he wastes no time showing us this in the older series... Rolling Eyes

And he has nothing to do with the TV 2014 production -- at least according to the ANN encyclopedia.

All this is doing nothing for me except making me miss Utena.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Man this show, seems kind of gay. From the way Usagi was carrying on in Sailor Mars' introduction, I have expected that this version will introduce the twist that she is Prince[ss] Endymion.

This last episode was weird because it reintroduced the bullet points of the series to us as though we might have forgotten. I know it's a biweekly series, but I doubt that the audience is made up of goldfish. The actual plot of the episode seemed at best marginally relevant. Some things that mattered to Tuxedo Mask's character were there and the four kings were kind enough formally introduce themselves, at a fancy party no less, but that all felt like it could have been inserted into almost any story. I think that I would have liked this episode far better if it had been about Mamoru or the four kings in a more than superficial way that felt like they were just being slipped into empty slots during an episode that was coming up short. Even adding more to the thinly-drawn nerd Princess would have benefited it.

Whatever, nevermind, because Jupiter is coming next week and Sailor Jupiter is best girl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Man this show, seems kind of gay.

The manga ALSO 'seems kind of gay'. Razz
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Remember folks, if she can't say no then it's still not okay.

Uh, isn't that what we guys have had drummed into us since practically birth?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Remember folks, if she can't say no then it's still not okay.

Yeah....despite that she loved his kiss and would jump in bed with him at the drop of his hat.

........I might be exaggerating a tad... but she wanted that kiss.

I really don't understand.....we've been seeing this "kiss sleeping girl" trope since we were toddlers with Disney movies but when it shows up in 2014 anime, it's suddenly wrong?

Whut?

The viewers on asuki are acting the same way....and I continue (as an adult woman myself) to roll my eyes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Time and societal standards change. Back in the day such a thing would probably be seen as super romantic. These days it can get you arrested.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
But this ISN'T real life. It's fantasy.

Can't people separate the two? I have no problem doing that.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
But this ISN'T real life. It's fantasy.

Can't people separate the two? I have no problem doing that.

Sadly, too many people cannot. But it makes for nice long flame threads if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Kirino is an example of someone who can. Unfortunately she's a fantasy character herself, which is sort of ironic.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Fantasy reflects reality and vice versa. Twilight is just fantasy, but we still have a generation of girls who now want their own Edward Cullen to creepily obsess over them. And that's terrible.

Basically WON'T SOME ONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

People don't take too kindly to some one trying to portray something they think as bad in a positive light. This is saying "Yeah, it's totally cool if you do stuff to girls in their sleep because deep down they want it!"
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Fantasy reflects reality and vice versa. Twilight is just fantasy, but we still have a generation of girls who now want their own Edward Cullen to creepily obsess over them. And that's terrible.

This is true....but most of these girls are too young to separate fantasy and reality and it's a phase they'll easily grow out of. I've discussed the evils of Twatlight with younger girls and their main response seems to be "Oh yeah...I liked it when I first read it.....but now I can't believe I actually liked it. lol it is so bad."

Quote:
People don't take too kindly to some one trying to portray something they think as bad in a positive light. This is saying "Yeah, it's totally cool if you do stuff to girls in their sleep because deep down they want it!"

"Deep down-nothing"; if she was awake, they'd be making out.

Don't forget the target audience for this is adult female Sailor Moon fans, not horny young boys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 18