• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
...but I'm asking if they (reviewers) can be added to the encyclopedia as people. Just a page with links to all the reviews a reviewer has done is what I'm looking for.

The people section of the Encyclopedia is for those who had worked on anime/manga titles, not for people who had worked for this website; cataloging the latter would be an editorial decision.

The King of Harts wrote:
It'd be very similar to thelist of reviews, except there would be separate pages for for the separate reviewers.

Again, this can be done with a sub-page of that Review page, or they can be linked through the Staff List page; either way has nothing to do with the Encyclopedia.

In the mean time, use the method DerekTheRed suggested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Yay, a chance to plug this thread.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
When editing Wikipedia there is a useful toolbar for entering special characters which is a godsend for entering ō and ū. Would it be possible to have something similar here, or at least include those two characters in the page text somewhere so I can copy and paste them without having to open character map all the time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Has any thought been given to linking to interviews with personalities on their encyclopedia page? By that I mean link to this on this page. Maybe even put Carl Macek's ANNCast segment on his page, or the Geneon one on the Geneon company page along with Chad Kime's page? It would probably be harder to automate the linking, like is currently done with news, but I think that interviews and ANNCasts are few enough for an admin to be able to put up links manually. Maybe.
shishikyuu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote
I would be very happy with a button in the "my anime" section that easily prints the lists people can make and/or export it to word or text or something.

copy pasting is fairly annoying as it is.
AnimeFollower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I have a suggestion for the encyclopedia. Is there any way to pick any number of shows in the encyclopedia, and then after picking them, hit a button to list the rankings of the shows on the user made list from High to Low.

The reason I ask for a list like this is because I am short on cash and NIS said they were going to relase 4 shows, including Toradora. Well, I would like to be able to select the 4 shows from a list and see how they rank, listing from "Masterpiece" to "Poor". You know, the same rankings they have on the encyclopedia entry.

This "variable list rank" function could be used on other things listed like manga.

Does this sound doable and worthwhile to do?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I think an ordinal should be required when entering theme songs. Currently the instructions state
Quote:
If there are many different openings, enter "#" followed by the number of the theme (order in which it appeared in the series).
- You usually do not know how many themes there will be when a series starts so the first OP is often entered without an ordinal but the later ones are once they appear. There's no harm in having the #1 even if there turns out to be only one version of the theme, or the number could be hidden automatically if there is only one theme listed.

Also, the instructions state
Quote:
Please use a number of digits corresponding to the number of themes in total, so that the themes are displayed in the correct order. For example, in a series with 14 different opening themes, theme #1 should be written "#01".
- this is also something you don't know when entering the initial credits so can lead to discrepancies later. It shouldn't be hard to handle this programatically rather than manually.

[edit]I swear I have intermittent dyslexia[/edit]

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
This suggestion concerns the ratings system. So I don't know if it belongs in the Encyclopedia sub-forum, so by all means move it if it doesn't belong here.

Basically, I am fed up with trolls who deliberately rate titles down (usually as "Worst Ever") just because they feel like it. Now, there isn't much I can do about them, and there probably isn't even very much that Dan42 can do about them either, beyond tweaking some things. But what about if we just concentrated on the most obvious trolls? I'm talking about the ones that are without a doubt trying to influence the ratings of a show, and therefore undermining the accuracy of the ratings system.

Take a look at Bakemonogatari's page. Specifically, as of this post there are ten votes for Worst Ever for the dub version of the show. (Also, there are five votes for Masterpiece in the dub, and one Masterpiece vote for the Russian dub. Crikey.) Only, as is quite clear, there is no dub version of the show, meaning that in all probability all those votes were made by trolls. Or the careless, with whom I don't have much sympathy for.

So I suggest that users be able to report such glaring instances of trolling just as they can report a wrong name or whatever. And since ninety-nine times out of a hundred it will be a troll instead of the careless, the Encyclopedia Editor who responds to the report needn't spend much time on it. Bam, and the trolls are gone. However, I do concede that the above suggestion has little chance of being implemented, mostly because there are so many error reports to go through that adding to the workload will be distasteful. So I suggest a plan B.

Namely, that when people come to rate an Anime they will not be able to choose any other option other than raw or sub until a dub is actually out. This would mean that all Anime would have to have the option activated, which will be a pain. However, considering that the dub information (cast list, companies involved, et cetera) have to be added in anyway, then why not just activate the dub option for that Anime at the time the dub information is added.

Oh sure, trolls are still going to be rating titles as Worst Ever anyway, and as soon as each language's dub is out they'll probably rate using them too. But . . . it's the principle of the thing, I guess. Don't give them an inch, and don't let them think it is okay to screw with the ratings. At least not so brazenly.

Thanks for hearing me out.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Something I've been meaning to bring up for ages:
I would love for the combined name in kanji to be presented somewhere, either by changing the way it is presented or showing the combined name somewhere also, maybe as a profile option. It is a small thing, but every time I want to copy a name from ANN I either have to perform two separate copy and past operations or copy it as-is (e.g. "宮崎 Given name (in kanji): 駿") and delete the extra text.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Something I've been meaning to bring up for ages:
I would love for the combined name in kanji to be presented somewhere, either by changing the way it is presented or showing the combined name somewhere also, maybe as a profile option. It is a small thing, but every time I want to copy a name from ANN I either have to perform two separate copy and past operations or copy it as-is (e.g. "宮崎 Given name (in kanji): 駿") and delete the extra text.

I just recently noticed that kanji now appears together under the person's name, so it seems like this has been implemented. Very nice - I find this VERY helpful. The only (minor, since it's rare) problem is that it can be inaccurate on names where the order is different from usual, for instance non-Japanese names or pseudonyms that are written in given-family name order.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
Whatever happened to the "convention appearances" category, anyway?
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
I'd love to:

1). Be able to find those errant data that I submitted in the "Other" category (I made some mistakes in my "youth" that I'd to acknowledge—and fix).

2). Be able to see the information that I submitted which is "out".
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Not so much of an encyclopedia suggestion as an encyclopedia forum suggestion, but...

I've noticed Shiroi Hane and devil doll posting a lot of "these people need to be split" threads lately. Maybe we could have a stickied post of "split required" like the "duplicate people/etc" threads?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Creating new threads was Dan's recommendation here.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
ANN recently allowed to override existing credits when you can provide additional resp. better precision.

Along this line of thought, what about allowing to override existing credits without given source by identical credits with a source? (To fill gaps that were created back when contributing without a source as allowed.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 21