• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SUZUKI (STAFF), Mie (#75919)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
person#75919

Someone has tried to manually disambiguate by entering (STAFF) in the surname field. It isn't a proper disambigution as that would show in the list as "SUZUKI, Mie (Staff)". The cast Mie Suzuki is an AKA of Teiyu ICHIRYUSAI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks, I changed the names
"Mie Suzuki (staff)" -> "Mie Suzuki" (painter)
"Mie Suzuki" -> "Mie Suzuki" (seiyuu)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Someone has tried to manually disambiguate by entering (STAFF) in the surname field.

I guessed the submitter correctly without looking up the submission record... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Would you have preferred a mindless merge of both persons? Shocked
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
No.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
So how do we handle two people with the same name? I have used different romanizations in the past but this isn't always possible; mostly I enter the data under the existing entry and flag as a duplicate in the thread (although I shudder to think how long it would take one person working non-stop to clear that thread and it isn't even clear exactly how much is still outstanding so it often feels like throwing fuel on the fire). Is there a better way?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
This is the exact opposite problem of duplicate persons, so I don't think it should be posted in the duplicate persons thread.

If the name ABC in the database already contains credits that should belong to different people, then you might as well add your credit to the mess; it won't make things worse. But if the name ABC only has credits for one person, and your credit really belongs to a different person also named ABC... that would *create* an ambiguity. The other solution is to manually disambiguate the name like Devil Doll did. But I'm not entirely sure that's better Anime cry

*thinking*
*thinking*
*thinking*

Ok, after all I think the best solution is to enter the data under the existing entry and then immediately tell me or dormcat that they should be split by posting in the form. Create a new thread otherwise it's really difficult to keep track of what has been handled and what hasn't. (As in the duplicate persons thread; who knows which of those reports have been handled? dormcat?)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
(As in the duplicate persons thread; who knows which of those reports have been handled? dormcat?)

IIRC this was the last post of mine dealing with multiple duplicated names systematically, and that was more than three years ago. Now there are twice as many. Anime dazed I don't know if there's anyone else merging them besides you and me; maybe EmperorBrandon, woelfie, or our new kid on the block Shiroi Hane can give a hand.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
This is the exact opposite problem of duplicate persons, so I don't think it should be posted in the duplicate persons thread.

I've been using the thread for both "single person with duplicate entries" and "single entry with duplicate people" as they are similar problems and both already appeared to be reported there. If you want separate threads then I can edit my previous reports and repost in a new thread if necessary, but it would take some time...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1