• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Carolina Student Removed over "Death Note" List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tidusora

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't surprise me at all.
Many Death Note/anime Fans will defend this person's actions, as it seemed as nothing but a harmless action, but from another person's perspective, even if they are aware of the show and its actions, they would consider it a threat.

It's not that the writings will "kill" someone, but the fact that one's name is written down on it, given the nature of the show, the person could've showed intent to kill those.

A Death Note list is in a sense, no different than a "Kill" List.

It's perfectly understandable. I'm a fan of the show, but I'm not going to defend it because ever since Columbine happened, schools have been meticulous on students' actions and behaviors.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Tidusora, why do you say that people against the school's actions are defending it because it is anime related? This is not the case with everyone involved in this thread; I wonder if you bothered even reading those who criticized the school's reaction.

Defending an action like this solely because it's linked to a show we like is laughable-and insulting.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
I caution and suggest to those who are coming in after this thread has taken it's course to actually read through it, and have an idea of what people have been talking about here. Because if you don't, you can get yourself into trouble here. Nobody died today, this is a minor incident compared to what could have happened. The kid could have been having social issues, but we don't know that for certain. However, after reading some of the posts and thinking back to the article, it does not say anywhere that he has actually been expelled. Perhaps they are investigating more into this to see what they can find.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the whole post, because 108 messages are a lot to read before adding my two cents. Thanks for your understanding.

But I think the school acted wisely. From what I read in the article, they didn't blame the anime, they just linked it. And it was a justifiable link.

As a teacher myself, I understand the need for zero tolerance policies. Especially with middle school kids, oftentimes they are just trying to figure out where the line is. And this kid crossed the line. Even if he did it in a minor way, it is good for him and for everyone who knows him to know that there is indeed a boundary, and that they can't cross it. I really do try to see it from the kid's point of view, and from his point of view, the punishment may not seem to fit the crime. I can also see it from the school's point of view, where, as they themselves said, "Regardless of the origin of the book, we take the situation very seriously. The safety of our school family is always our top priority."

So, there's my two cents. I'm not going to critique anyone in this forum, so it shouldn't be too inflammatory to post this without reading all 8 pages.

EDIT:
Quote:
The pen is not a weapon.

Au contraire. History will prove this over and over again. Let's say Karl Marx wanted to create a communist state. By a military takeover, he could institute it in one country. But with a pen, his ideas conquered half of Europe and part of Asia.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Au contraire. History will prove this over and over again. Let's say Karl Marx wanted to create a communist state. By a military takeover, he could institute it in one country. But with a pen, his ideas conquered half of Europe and part of Asia.

Not to mention penetration of human skin.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
It is an over-reaction. considering the amount of kids who shoot each other, or shoot up schools a few named written in a notebook are harmless. I wonder if they do a search of non-Death notes as well.

I can see it now, something akin to a weapons search but a person trained in noteboook checking.

"These Chem notes look suspicious. Bomb making in the beginnging stages? Cuff him! The judge will throw the book at him!"

Kid: But its just my midterm notes!

So was there any other notes in there you can account for? And hereis also a summary of school related violence in 2007 according to the FBI. This is a serious thing that is going on out there, we have already had blood shed in 2008. If this were to happen in your school what would you feel or do?

If someone wrote a bunch of names down in a book that doesn't have the ablity to do as its name sake? I'd probably laugh.

They should have tried to work the problem out, call his parnets. No need to toss him on the news and send home notes- heck, we didn't even get notes sent home after two gangs tried to break into our school.

Ghetto inner city schools aside, it is an over-reaction. Anime or not, names written down don't do squat. They don't hurt anyone. Paranoia gets you no where. Its fine to be catious, but they could have handled this a lot better.

Aresef, he'll get this across his desk sooner or later. Sadly. I've been waiting on the Anime is evil and kills kids rants! from him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Served him right, idiots like him are going to drag us all into the second age of the overfiend.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
If someone wrote a bunch of names down in a book that doesn't have the ablity to do as its name sake? I'd probably laugh.

They should have tried to work the problem out, call his parnets. No need to toss him on the news and send home notes- heck, we didn't even get notes sent home after two gangs tried to break into our school.

Ghetto inner city schools aside, it is an over-reaction. Anime or not, names written down don't do squat. They don't hurt anyone. Paranoia gets you no where. Its fine to be catious, but they could have handled this a lot better.

You know what, you're right. I live out here in nice sunny Southern California where we absolutely have no problems whatsoever, besides our occasional hearings of things going on out in LA and Compton. And even then people will want to correct me because there's other parts of California that have it bad too. And what are we doing to prevent these incidents. Also, you have to remember this school (homepage) is out in the sticks, with country all around it.
brskeen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Here we go again...
If the 7 students died 40 seconds after their names were written, then I could see the point in getting upset, otherwise no.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
brskeen wrote:
Here we go again...
If the 7 students died 40 seconds after their names were written, then I could see the point in getting upset, otherwise no.

Yes, because it's only after someone makes good on a death threat that the authorities should get involved...
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As a teacher myself, I understand the need for zero tolerance policies.

I'd hate to say this, but I don't necessarily see the need to expel a student on the grounds of possessing weapons just because he happened to have nail clippers, or firing a teacher for complementing a peer's looks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_tolerance_%28schools%29#Controversy

Sorry, but if you're going to address how kids tend to view such rules as unfair, it's important to note that many adults happen to find zero tolerance policies to be unfair as well.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

You know what, you're right. I live out here in nice sunny Southern California where we absolutely have no problems whatsoever, besides our occasional hearings of things going on out in LA and Compton. And even then people will want to correct me because there's other parts of California that have it bad too. And what are we doing to prevent these incidents. Also, you have to remember this school (homepage) is out in the sticks, with country all around it.

What an ugly homepage.

That aside, its still stupid paranoia. I don't understand how a name written anywhere is suddenly a Death threat. Unless it says- IM gonna kill you! then its nothing but your name. No matter what the book. Would they have treated this the same had it been on a regular sheet of paper? I highly doubt it. In fact, no one probably would have cared.

Do schools no longer have consuelors? Do they not have a purpose anymore? I thought they had degrees to talk to students. its unfair just to label someone a wannabe murderer just by some names written down. They could have spoken to the kid, his parents- checked his home life. Made him see a therapist.

Theres trouble everywhere. The suburbs just have the means to high their trash more.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
That aside, its still stupid paranoia. I don't understand how a name written anywhere is suddenly a Death threat. Unless it says- IM gonna kill you! then its nothing but your name. No matter what the book. Would they have treated this the same had it been on a regular sheet of paper? I highly doubt it. In fact, no one probably would have cared.

Two words to term it: common sense.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Two words to term it: common sense.

You must be refering to the lack of the school had. Now you're getting it.

We aren't going to agree and I doubt you'll change my mind. The people at the school are laughable to me at how they approached this situation.

My bottom line: key word in that whole article is "fictional". I'd like to see them report on every student with names written in their notebooks. Who cares if Lisa Frank is on the cover- it could be filled with names.

names written in a book do not equal death threats.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
You must be refering to the lack of the school had. Now you're getting it.

Who said I was siding with the kid?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9