• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
What a great episode. The tension was palpable. The animation was great too. I just re-watched the emergence and there's even a brick hitting a guy in the middle of the crowd. Can't wait to see where it goes. Eren seems to have tossed up Tybur to presumably eat him, but he's clearly transforming in the next episode preview, so I guess he isn't successful and we're in for a fight =)

Also agree with the others, great review.

spoiler[Who says that Will is the Warhammer Titan?]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
.... the current vogue pet peeve of 'fascism.'

I think fascism(dunno why you would air-quote that) is quite a bit more than a "vogue pet peeve", especially to folks that are directly suffering it's effects. That one little part of your post kinda colors the whole thing as pretty dismissive and ignorant of issues other people may be facing, whether or not it ties into an anime we all enjoy.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention the way Marley directs its propaganda, compelling their soldiers and citizens to become and die as heroes that defend their countrymen from the foreign demons that want to destroy it, as well as their militaristic approach to government are as fascist as it gets. If you deny that you might as well deny fascism exists at all beyond being the name of Mussolini's party.

P.S.: I wasn't even thinking of AoT when conjuring the word "demons", but that is literally the term they use to describe Eldians huh
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 6. I’m curious to see how others felt. I’m not usually a complainer but I felt something was “off”. The tension has been mounting the entire season so far and the pay off in this episode left some to be desired. Maybe I’m just too picky or hyped up the episode in my mind.
The CG wasn’t so hot either. Both Titans and humans. Towards the end of the episode especially. (And comparing to previous seasons.. don’t get me started on season 3 pt 2 colossal titan. That was horrible).
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
^
Have to disagree with you on the tension at least. That was a pretty damn intense episode in my book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I need to watch the episode again.. (I’ve watched others a few times, so why not!? )
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Huh, on the previous episode's preview I took notice of the warhammer titan being formed feet first and I thought it was a stylistic choice that mistakenly forgot how titans ARE formed.
And what a ridiculous titan! I already thought that the Colossal Titan was Too Much with its infinite heat and stuff (huh, when the former king licked the fluid and transformed in that half-formed colossal... I wonder what was going on there) but this one is materializing "crystal" pieces larger than itself on a whim and with ease.

KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
Just watched episode 6. I’m curious to see how others felt. I’m not usually a complainer but I felt something was “off”. The tension has been mounting the entire season so far and the pay off in this episode left some to be desired. Maybe I’m just too picky or hyped up the episode in my mind.
The CG wasn’t so hot either. Both Titans and humans. Towards the end of the episode especially. (And comparing to previous seasons.. don’t get me started on season 3 pt 2 colossal titan. That was horrible).

Probably because it was pure chaos. There was no clear objective, everyone was reacting to Eren's actions, coordination was on the fly, sides disagreed from within... this isn't really payoff. The central event here is pivotal, but the direction of the following events is a mess to unravel later.
It isn't a clear shift in the status quo, and it can't be satisfying as neither the audience nor the characters can understand why Eren did what he did.

Also, yeah, lol at that CGI Jan. I couldn't believe how long they kept the camera centered on that shoddy model.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Judging by people's reaction online, it seems like this episode was generally well-liked, which only makes me wish I could get on the hype train even more Sad

I'll start by saying that the emotional moments worked really well: Gabi's confused and terrified scream, Mikasa's short and heartbreaking conversation with Eren, even Willy saying goodbye to his family, etc. But when it comes to the fight itself, this latest entry felt very underwhelming to me in terms of animation and direction.

Mind you, I don't watch Attack on Titan for the cool action scenes, but the focus of this episode was the fight between Eren and the titular War Hammer Titan, which also happens to be one of my favourite fights in the story, so I was expecting the show to do it justice. Alas, it didn't deliver. And before I explain why I didn't like it, let me just say that all the people who have been harassing the staff on twitter can kindly eat shit and fudge off. The animators are working their asses off under a brutal schedule and they don't deserve the hate they've been getting.

Anyway, regarding the fight: the CGI here didn't blend in as seamlessly as it did back in episode 1; the War Hammer Titan looked okay, but the 3D Eren and humans stood out like a sore thumb the whole time. I get the feeling that the more human a titan looks, the more uncanny they look in CG (the only exception being the War Hammer 'cause her design is just too cool and she can't look bad by default). The 2D animation was also lacking in some parts, as the character animation, particularly for the old cast, felt very awkward and stiff. Maybe the new Survey Corps' uniform/gear is too hard to animate?

The fight choreography was... okay? We definitely got some kickass sequences in there, but there were parts where I couldn't tell what was going on. Like, I couldn't tell how Eren was able to escape the War Hammer's swing when he was impaled with that giant spike in the stomach. Or there's this part where we get this undeniably badass shot of the War Hammer creating a new weapon which Mikasa quickly avoids, but we never actually get to see what the weapon was or how the War Hammer used it. I read the manga, so I know the War Hammer created a cat-o'-nine-tails and swung it at Mikasa, but I wish the anime had actually shown that.

The music also left a lot to be desired. It's always nice and nostalgic when we get to listen to some of the old tracks (last week's episode gave us a great mix of old and new), but this season has really left me craving for some cool new music. So far, most of the new tracks have been unremarkable.

Finally, I too felt like the tension wasn't there. I just can't tell why.

Yuvelir wrote:
Probably because it was pure chaos (...)
It isn't a clear shift in the status quo, and it can't be satisfying as neither the audience nor the characters can understand why Eren did what he did.

But that's the thing: this chaos is exactly what this season had been building up to, but for whatever reason it just didn't hit as hard as it should have, at least not for me.

Also, we may not know all the details regarding Eren's objective, but by now, his motivation and why he did what he did should be pretty clear.

Oh well, I'm glad most people enjoyed this episode, and it's not like this ruins the show or anything. MAPPA has been doing a wonderful job, and I'll keep rooting for them. And hey, even if there's an episode in particular that I don't like, I still have the manga Razz

Last edited by Everlasting Coconut on Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
@Everlasting Coconut

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. It’s clear you love the show- both the manga and the anime. At least you aren’t “bashing” the show like some people are on the message boards like Reddit. I just expected more from this episode. I never read the manga. Something was just, missing. And I do feel awful for the MAPPA animators too. I feel that if the production companies gave them more time, it may have looked better. From what I understand (and I may be wrong) the production committee was really pushing for this season to begin when it did to push sales of the manga. We all know the hellish schedule for this show. Oh well. The story MORE than shines through. The story is simply amazing.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
all while the Scout Regiments fly about Marely so they can commit their own, littler war crimes.

Maybe I'm forgetting something but what did the Scouts Regiment do that could be constructed as a war crime? I recall them taking out an artillery battery with explosive spears, flushing out entrenched soldiers with grenades, bombing troop transports and Sasha sniping a group of armed guards.

Anyhow, I don't know if it was deliberate but I found Willy and Margath's plan to be... Really out there. The season started at the conclusion of a war that begun due to a group of nations banding togheter to challenge Marley's hegemony at a time when they were perceived as weak... So they decide their next move is to goad the enemy into fighting an highly dicey pitched battle right at their capital which could very well be left a smoldering ruin - I'm sure that will do wonders for their power projection, specially in they lose any more Titans. I get that the story will just state that other nations just fall in line due to their fear of Paradis overpowering their hatred of Marley but if you think military commands in other nations aren't looking at what's going on and thinking "Well, let's just leave both sides to bleed each other out and maybe swoop in to tip the scales when we can't milk this situation further", then I have a bridge in Paradis to sell you. Sure maybe its shortsided but that's just human nature, courts all over Europe were overjoyed when the French revolution kicked off, not that they had any love for the revolutionaries, but having the premier military power in Europe paralyzed was perfect news until it wasn't.

Also the plan to purge the top brass, while I can concede that some particular power hungry individuals with an overstated assessment of their abilities could go along with, but it sounds incredibly reckless. "Too many generals" is a problem pre-modern militaries did ocassinally run into in a career path that was usually determined by promotion every X years (this was a notorious problem in pre revolutionary France) but that's usually a budgetary problem, which doesn't strike me as a concern for either of the two plotters here. The other reason to do it is ideologic, like Stalin's purges to the military that did away with the last vestiges of the Russian imperial army - tough I don't see that motive being at play here and more importantly, the soviet's humiliation in the subsequent Winter War against Finland should tell you all you need to know about the short term problems of shooting a large chunk of your military brass shortly before going into conflict, let alone right in the middle of a war.

Last edited by OrdepNM on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
After rewatching parts of the episode, I am confused about one thing: how did Porco recognize Levi? I don't recall any circumstance under which the two could have met before.

I did find Porco's line immediately after that - "Can't you see that I am a Titan?" - to be my favorite moment in the episode. Does Porco appreciate the irony in that statement, I wonder? That his fellow Warriors are responsible for setting up a situation which necessitated developing soldiers like those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
After rewatching parts of the episode, I am confused about one thing: how did Porco recognize Levi? I don't recall any circumstance under which the two could have met before.

I would assume he's seen Levi in Ymir's memories. IIRC he mentioned having access to her memories after devouring her to gain the Jaw Titan.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
If you try to map Attack on Titan to any real world events the allegories have a habit of breaking. Sometimes in bad ways. Like there is no parallel to Willy Tybur that isn't a racist conspiracy.

The directing in this episode was really good. Very little of the action is "cool", most of it is a horror-show. Some of the melodies in previous seasons is reused, but it's a much more somber tone then the old Sawano stuff. Seeing the Survey corps tools being used to kill humans is pretty disturbing, moreso then when I read these scenes in the manga.

I do wish there was less CG, but it's understandable. I think even WIT would have issues with the new 3DMG uniforms which are even more detailed with more rigid parts to keep track of. I do miss Imai's work on the series though.

Also their horse CGI is way better then Wit's.

Also Floch is back. Floch plays an important role in the story, although he's not a character I like. Prick gets reintroduced deliberately targeting civilians.

Also despite the disturbing nature of seeing our protagonists kill people I wasn't above cheering when Porco craps his pants when realizing that these people know how to kill Titans.

Thinking of Eldia position in this is kind of harrowing. Their technology is really only useful in cities like this, if ships land on their island and bring in artillery lines then it is pretty much game over with Eldian genocide. Which means that their only real ace-in-the-hole are Titans. But using the Titans against the world will... well bring about the exact dystopia that started the series. The question right now is exactly how we're going to avoid these two doomsday scenarios.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Or there's this part where we get this undeniably badass shot of the War Hammer creating a new weapon which Mikasa quickly avoids, but we never actually get to see what the weapon was or how the War Hammer used it. I read the manga, so I know the War Hammer created a cat-o'-nine-tails and swung it at Mikasa, but I wish the anime had actually shown that.

Ah, we actually got a glimpse of it, we could see what looked like a whip laying at the titan's feet.
Now that I think about it, isn't it a bit weird that this titan can ude "hardening" to create something flexible. https://i.imgur.com/UtPE2tF.jpg

Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Also, we may not know all the details regarding Eren's objective, but by now, his motivation and why he did what he did should be pretty clear.

Well, I really don't have the faintest idea. Revenge isn't in the cards anymore, and deleting Marley's army is what they need for Paradis to be safe, but the way he's going about it, with all the flying debris, massacring half of the ghetto, devouring Willy and stuff just works against that objective as it pits the rest of the world against them.

Doodleboy wrote:
Also Floch is back. Floch plays an important role in the story, although he's not a character I like. Prick gets reintroduced deliberately targeting civilians.
[...]
Thinking of Eldia position in this is kind of harrowing. Their technology is really only useful in cities like this, if ships land on their island and bring in artillery lines then it is pretty much game over with Eldian genocide. Which means that their only real ace-in-the-hole are Titans. But using the Titans against the world will... well bring about the exact dystopia that started the series. The question right now is exactly how we're going to avoid these two doomsday scenarios.

I remember neither of those. Were they part of Kenny's assassins? Survivors of the baseball match?
As for artillery, I'm not so sure they are THAT vulnerable? Afterall they have made many ships go MIA, they've been rapidly developing their technology and thanks to the beast titan they already are all too aware of the horror of artillery.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Well, I really don't have the faintest idea. Revenge isn't in the cards anymore, and deleting Marley's army is what they need for Paradis to be safe, but the way he's going about it, with all the flying debris, massacring half of the ghetto, devouring Willy and stuff just works against that objective as it pits the rest of the world against them.

The world was already against them though. One could even argue that Eren was waiting to see what Willy's play was all about, to see if maybe he would tell the world that the people in Paradis are not devils. But in the end he brought the world together to fight against Paradis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 23