• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Japan's Population Declining?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crx07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Batista wrote:
There is something kind of hysterically absurd about people with cutesy anime avatars having a serious discussion advocating things like anti-miscegenation and eugenics.

At least this proves that the stereotypes we perceive in anime fans are wrong and anime fans are pretty diverse on their views on serious topics.
miken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
EU should take a lesson from Australia on how to deal with boat migrants

yeah, imprisoning them on an island and torturing those, who just tried running for their lives Rolling Eyes
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
Another post. I'm merely an old coot, but I do know about this. I'm a Yemenite-Jew who migrated from San'aa many moons ago. This may sound like anecdotes, but it can be applied to statistics, so I'll say what I must.

My maternal family had been living in Southern Arabia for millennia. But with Israel and Palestine, we couldn't do much in our historic homeland. We had no connection to Zionism since we were Orthodox Jews (don't ask how my Orthodox mom married my dad) and my father's family are Muslim, so Israel was a no-no.

We left for Canada and we found it hard, but we did do well for ourselves. We did help Canadian society. But it wasn't just us. Immigrants contribute to Canada.

I went one step further. I moved to the U.S. in the mid 80s for college and I've remained ever since. My job has allowed me to help the economy and bring prosperity to my state.

Immigration helps us and it helps societies. Many Japanese scholars argue that Japan should become a society of immigrants. As the culture changes, so will attitudes to immigration. Canadians and Americans have not historically been warm to immigration, but the former has reversed their opinion and the latter often goes on demonstrations defending the rights to refugees as a result of our government's inaction. Japan will do the same.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:

From my personal perspective, like everybody else has probably mentioned in this thread, bringing in foreigner to the heavily homongenous or whatever Japan in an instant would cost more harm than good. The Japanese valued their cultures, foods and all that meant something to them by a long mile and having something that seemed alien to them will just caused panic and issues. Of course, not every Japanese is gonna remain close minded to new things but if there's ever a need to bring more immigrants there, it need to start from the lowest scale so that everyone can get comfortable in embracing a new chapter. I feel like I wanted to say more but I don't really know how to gather those info in my head.

True and one more thing. Most Japanese expect people going to work in Japan to behave in a Japanese way, respecting Japanese values. They expect the few foreigners that are brought in to be assimilate in Japanese society.

Just to show the assimilation, in case of a emigrant want to become a Japanese citizen, that person will have to renounce their first nationality.
They have to:
-Continuous residence in Japan for five years or more
-At least 20 years old
-History of good behavior generally, and no past history of seditious behavior
-Sufficient capital or skills, either personally or within family, to support oneself
-Willing to renounce foreign citizenship

Those who are born Japanese but with a second citizenship must choose between them by the time they are 20 years old
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Batista wrote:
Oh don't get me wrong. Serious discussions about political topics on anime forms often get ridiculous regardless of political views. It's just that the borderline fascism and eugenics in this thread has made it go to the point of parody. It's like the perfect microcosm of internet clusterf****s in one sitting!

Very much this. I don't think I've said "wtf" to myself so many times, reading through an ANN thread.

On the point of multiculturalism, I personally think it's a good thing. Diversity is an evolutionary wellspring for introducing potentially beneficial customs and points of view to the cultural genepool. Japan seems to have become pretty stagnant culturally as of late, perhaps to the point of being dangerously self-destructive. Having lived in and visited different places around the world, I think the nice thing about being exposed to different cultures is that it can broaden your perceptions on different acceptable ways to live, and make you more open-minded to questioning and adjusting your own cultural values. Staid tradition can be stifling, and it's good to be able to adapt and improve. Some cultural luminaries in Japan, particularly in the anime industry, have said that the culture has become insular to the point of being practically inbred, and in that state you can't help but wonder at its effects on the overall population.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
That is how USA immigration was suppose to be after 1990 Immigration Act.
But reality got in the way as more visa overstayers and illegals continued to cross the southern border continued to occur with impunity during the 90s.

Consider your country lucky because your system was built from the ground up so that illegals can't ever set up presence. Too many ways to get screwed as an illegal there - your system designed to do exactly that.

Actually, I don't think our system has anything to do with the fact that we don't really have an illegal immigrant problem. Geography has saved our ass on that one. We are hard to get to. We don't share a long border with a country whose economic conditions are massively poorer than our own, thus encouraging an influx. AND IT'S FRIGGIN' COLD UP HERE!

With respect to attitudes toward immigration, I can only say that I love it. I live in Toronto, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. I'm as white as white can be, but I love going out and seeing every colour of the human rainbow. As a fellow Canadian stated earlier in this thread, our system is not perfect. Racism does exist and not everybody shares my pro-immigration stance. But by and large we've made it work.

MESSAGE TO THE WORLD - SEND US YOUR HOT BABES!!!
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
Not a big factor necessarily, but the idea of it being an option getting married or having kids is something that is starting to gain traction. I thought that I saw something similar to this already expressed earlier in the forum. Some people just don't want either of those things, me being one of them.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So, Japan's population is decreasing, eh? Look, tell ya what I'm willing to do. If the Japanese government will pay my way and give me an incredibly generous stipend, I am prepared to breed with the comelier Japanese frauleins. I'm 6 foot 6, so beyond merely saving the population from a disastrous decline, I'd be injecting some much needed verticality into the gene pool.

Please - no need to thank me.

Yo, I don't mind going down to Japan and helping them with their population problem, if you get what I mean. But from your comment, sounds like you have a specific interest in the Japanese frauleins. Why don't you earn your way to your paradise rather than relying on some unreliable government to ship you over? Learn to speak the language, it ain't that hard if you try, ya?
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
The main reason why population reduction is a bad thing is the macroeconomic issue previously mentioned: wealth transfer. Japan, like the US, is set up to tax away large portions of the healthy working aged-citizen's income. This money goes to the government, which is typically run by the rich, the powerful, and the old, where it is then spent in ways that are advantageous to said groups. Basically, things like Social Security are Ponzi Schemes, which require ever-more money from those near the bottom of the pyramid. This is a problem only if the numbers near the bottom start to shrink (making the pyramid shaped less like a pyramid). Should that happen, the status quo becomes disrupted, and those at the top don't like that.

Anyway, that's the main reason population-reduction is bad from an economic view. But, what about an *environmental* view? Does anyone *not* think that the world is overpopulated? Because it is. And yes, it is in Japan, too. How much does it cost to buy some tiny space to live in there? Lots! That's because there is only so much land to go around for all of those people. All of those people... oh, wait! But population-reduction is bad! No, it isn't. Until we can keep our populations at levels that our resources can sustain, we are going to destroy ourselves in the long run. You can try to buy your way out of it by importing stuff, but that only works until the world's overall resource consumption gets so bad that countries end up fighting over who gets what. That *will* happen if we don't do something about it, and that something is to maintain sustainable population levels.

I don't think what Japan is experiencing is a bad thing at all. Quite the opposite. And if the Africans would learn not to have kids they can't afford to raise, we'd be well on our way to achieving a sustainable population level on a global scale.

goddammit

everytime with this forum
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Blood- wrote:
So, Japan's population is decreasing, eh? Look, tell ya what I'm willing to do. If the Japanese government will pay my way and give me an incredibly generous stipend, I am prepared to breed with the comelier Japanese frauleins. I'm 6 foot 6, so beyond merely saving the population from a disastrous decline, I'd be injecting some much needed verticality into the gene pool.

Please - no need to thank me.

Yo, I don't mind going down to Japan and helping them with their population problem, if you get what I mean. But from your comment, sounds like you have a specific interest in the Japanese frauleins. Why don't you earn your way to your paradise rather than relying on some unreliable government to ship you over? Learn to speak the language, it ain't that hard if you try, ya?

You... you... mean, actually put some effort into something? Actually show some personal initiative and drive?

Wow, you really don't "get" me, do you? Wink

But seriously for any Japanese cuties in the Toronto area: call me.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
A lot of people here are making the claim that multicultural societies are more crime-ridden than others, but I'd like to know how crime is caused by the presence of multiple cultures and not, say, enforced socioeconomic disparity. I mean, how's it the low-income community's fault that law enforcement doesn't enforce the law in that area as much as it would in a mono-cultural suburb? By virtue of existing in the area?

Also, re: illegal immigrants; remember that they still contribute to society. Six out of ten agricultural workers in the U.S. are illegal immigrants. This doesn't include the sheer number of "illegal" men and women that also work menial jobs like construction.

My question is, when has clinging to traditional beliefs ever worked out positively for anyone? Japan's first economic boom came about by adopting Western policies for industry, we could argue that their current recession is due to clinging to that too greatly.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

On the point of multiculturalism, I personally think it's a good thing. Diversity is an evolutionary wellspring for introducing potentially beneficial customs and points of view to the cultural genepool. Japan seems to have become pretty stagnant culturally as of late, perhaps to the point of being dangerously self-destructive. Having lived in and visited different places around the world, I think the nice thing about being exposed to different cultures is that it can broaden your perceptions on different acceptable ways to live, and make you more open-minded to questioning and adjusting your own cultural values. Staid tradition can be stifling, and it's good to be able to adapt and improve. Some cultural luminaries in Japan, particularly in the anime industry, have said that the culture has become insular to the point of being practically inbred, and in that state you can't help but wonder at its effects on the overall population.

Another victim of the "multicultural" cool-aid and the mantra that Japan is some "inbred cesspool" when it clearly isn't. Guess your endgame goal is to have the whole country have minarets and the entire population to look as mongrel as possible. Like good ol' Deutschland.

I bet you wouldn't say the same if Japan tried to push their ways and culture to others because, ya know, they so self-destructive and all that. Everyone else, though, is the magic ticket to Japan's redevelopment and they should take it as if foreigners were god's gift to them.

Levitz9 wrote:

My question is, when has clinging to traditional beliefs ever worked out positively for anyone? Japan's first economic boom came about by adopting Western policies for industry, we could argue that their current recession is due to clinging to that too greatly.

Policies and ideas =/= Importing immigrants who you are unsure they will play by your rules. No, you don't change the rules to fit their needs. That's why refugees shy away from Japan as their gateway to "haven." They're not going to be babied by the government and siphoning off tax money from the citizens easily.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Another victim of the "multicultural" cool-aid...

Ugh. There are pros and cons to immigration. For some countries it works well, in others not so much. It is not the answer for every country. There are reasonable arguments to be made on both sides of the issue. But acting as if immigration is INHERENTLY a negative thing in all cases is just as narrow-minded as claiming it is always a positive. Open your mind.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Another victim of the "multicultural" cool-aid...

Ugh. There are pros and cons to immigration. For some countries it works well, in others not so much. It is not the answer for every country. There are reasonable arguments to be made on both sides of the issue. But acting as if immigration is INHERENTLY a negative thing in all cases is just as narrow-minded as claiming it is always a positive. Open your mind.

Well in Japan's (and by extent, anywhere East Asia that's not Xinjiang) case, it's not. Not as a long term goal or a patchwork solution. I feel strongly about this since I've seen the destructive and downright backward ways a bunch of undereducated, indoctrinated men have done to wholesome communities. I am not against migration entirely, but the way the West is doing it is completely off base from reality. What needs to be done is tightly controlled and screen to take in those who actually contribute which Japan actually does. It's not the hermit kingdom that mainstream media likes to make it out to be. That's North Korea. Now that's a case example of not getting in or getting out by choice.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
In part because Japan doesn't take too kindly to those that aren't Japanese, they have a notorious history with this as Mohawk mentioned. Diversity is in no way shape or form bad unless you're a traditional minded person who of course hates change.

When said people are the ones killing and raping them, I don't see the issue. Not every culture welcomes in people who want to hurt them with open arms.

I'm not sure how someone can look back on 2016 and say that. All the racial tension, crime, poverty and violence we have is a result of being so diverse. People of different groups have a hard time getting along. If your argument is "diversity would be fine if people would stop being so resistant to change and more accepting" then it's a very weak argument because that is never going to happen. It's against human nature. All the stuff America has been through this year would never happen in a country like Japan.

Frankly the idea behind "becoming Japanese" Jonny mentioned is the only way I can see diversity really working for a country. If someone wants to live in another country they should adapt to their culture and norms rather than expecting the opposite. When I travel abroad I don't expect people to know English and cater to my every whim. I learn the language and customs and try to get by as best I can.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12