• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Izetta: The Last Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Razz

Actually, I struggle to separate hotness from character. Izetta is a weak, uninteresting character (so far) so I don't find her hot. Fine is much more powerful, thus more alluring.

Izetta's character is actually a little more complex than Fine's. Fine's determined, charismatic, selfless, everyone loves her. Her character has a lot of strengths and virtues, but there are no important flaws to balance it out. It's a rather one-dimensional characterization. Izetta's character on the other hand is more like a mix of strengths and flaws. She lacks self-esteem but doesn't lack self-confidence, she's somewhat self-loathing but shows a great deal of empathy, she's meek in everyday life but in combat she's pretty self-assured and doesn't afraid of anything, she looks somewhat airheaded but is actually pretty clever and crafty. All in all, Izetta is a better-rounded character than Fine.

They both are lacking on development though. After 7 episodes, their characterization hasn't changed or progressed all that much, unfortunately.

Last edited by 1idd0kun on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:37 am; edited 4 times in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(although if that's the case why didn't they just take over the country while she was away?).

Yeah, that's a really good point. They either got info that Izetta was out and thus prepared the ambush, or what, the carrier just happened to be there and once they heard Izetta was around they decided on this plan? From the dialogue we had, that didn't seem to be the case. I guess the show somewhat tried to brush that off when mentioning that Germania was aiming for other countries now, but if they have this info then that's kinda overly cautious.

I also didn't like the tickling scene. Rather than be glad it wasn't used for boob groping, it just felt very specifically aimed at the yuri-goggles audience, who always prefer their things 'purer' but still sexy - we don't get to see the actual tickling, only mentions of "how about here", and the aftermath has them both with their clothes loosely-fitting and almost falling off their shoulders.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Ugh, it's so easy to counter questions like, "why didn't they take over the country while she was a way." The Germanians are trying to figure out her weakness. What's the point of attacking (which takes time to plan and execute) if she can just fly back and kick ass? It's not like the country can be taken over in a day. A more legitimate question is why the Germanians aren't trying to assassinate her. They have spies in the country and they are going to try to find that same room we've already seen that reveals the secret of the White Witch. So why not simply try to assassinate Izetta? It doesn't seem like she's kept in a secret room locked away from the public or anything when she is in the country.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ugh, it's so easy to counter questions like, "why didn't they take over the country while she was a way." The Germanians are trying to figure out her weakness. What's the point of attacking (which takes time to plan and execute) if she can just fly back and kick ass? It's not like the country can be taken over in a day. A more legitimate question is why the Germanians aren't trying to assassinate her. They have spies in the country and they are going to try to find that same room we've already seen that reveals the secret of the White Witch. So why not simply try to assassinate Izetta? It doesn't seem like she's kept in a secret room locked away from the public or anything when she is in the country.

They already have the plan to invade the country since they already were doing that, and yeah it can be done very quickly, look up what happened to France in WW2, since Izetta was traveling over mountain and stuff she couldn't be contacted, so they could have taken over even before she came back. She could then come back and attack them, but her action would be limited to guerrilla warfare essentially.

Assassinating her is another thing altogether since that would mean they actually have access to her room, so unless it turn out that the spy is someone close enough to her (which makes no sense since then the spy would have just told them about her weakness) it's not possible.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
I don't buy your assumptions. Yes, France fell quickly. In six weeks. Eylstadt is a mountainous place. It's not like an invasion would be over in hours. Which, presumably, is how long it would take Izetta to fly back from where ever she is.

We have already seen that Izetta is out and about in the capital, sneaking into sweet shops, putting on public demonstrations, etc. But yes if in your mind it is impossible for a lone assassin to get to her, I guess that's that. Rolling Eyes
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
^It seems like making unplanned spur of the moment secret trips seems like a good way to avoid assassins. And given they don't know the extent of her powers and the fact that she was never injured in battle, they might worry that any attempts would be ineffective and not worth expending assets in the country.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't buy your assumptions. Yes, France fell quickly. In six weeks. Eylstadt is a mountainous place. It's not like an invasion would be over in hours. Which, presumably, is how long it would take Izetta to fly back from where ever she is.

If the Emperor had Berkan keep Izetta busy, I'm sure they could have taken over Eylstadt just fine in the meantime.

In any case, when you think about it, Germania came out pretty bad from this whole deal. They lost a carrier, they let Izetta accomplish her mission and potentially getting the support from the allies, they advertised the existence of information leak, and they didn't even try to attack Eylstadt in the meantime. And all they got in return was some theories on Izetta's power confirmed. It's a pretty bad trade-off imo.

Last edited by 1idd0kun on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
The distance from London to Innsbruck (which presumably equates to this setting's Landsbruck) is about 965 km. It was documented in ep 2 that Izetta can maneuver well enough to outfox planes capable of traveling 400 km/h, so yeah, theoretically she could get back in only a few hours if she wasn't worried about attracting attention (and there was a path of magic the whole way), and the Germanians would know that. The mountainous terrain of Eylstadt would also make it much more difficult to blitzkreig the country; Germania couldn't do to Eylstadt what they did to this setting's equivalent of France and Poland because they don't have the wide-open plains which are conducive to swift tank movements. Hence Izetta and Finé would have time to find out about it and at least Izetta could get back.

As for the carrier Drachenfels conveniently being where it was, it's probably based on the historical Graf Zeppelin, an aircraft carrier commissioned by the German navy which was 85% complete at the outbreak of WWII and did launch. However, it was never finished or used in combat and so languished until being scuttled at the end of the war. Hence it's entirely reasonable that the ship existed where it is in the anime and that it could have been used for this purpose, as it wasn't considered strategically valuable otherwise by that point in the war.

And I guess read what you will into the tickle scene. I, at least, didn't see it as a yuri play, and I was listening very carefully for any telltale signs that it was intended more luridly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
1idd0kun wrote:
Blood- wrote:

If the Emperor had Berkan keep Izetta busy, I'm sure they could have taken over Eylstadt just fine in the meantime.

In any case, when you think about it, Germania came out pretty bad from this whole deal. They lost a carrier, they let Izetta accomplish her mission and potentially getting the support from the allies, they advertised the existence of a information leak, and they didn't even try to attack Eylstadt in the meantime. And all they got in return was some theories on Izetta's power confirmed. It's a pretty bad trade-off imo.

Oh well, if you are "sure" the Germanians could take over Eylstadt in a few hours, then just like meiem with his flat assertion that an assassination attempt is "impossible," that's that. I love how discussions can be resolved simply by making a declarative statement completely unbacked up by any reasoning whatsoever.

In any case, I do agree with your analysis of the trade-off. Particularly the part that having Izetta successfully complete the mission could result in a renewed committment by allies.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
1idd0kun wrote:
Blood- wrote:

In any case, when you think about it, Germania came out pretty bad from this whole deal. They lost a carrier, they let Izetta accomplish her mission and potentially getting the support from the allies, they advertised the existence of a information leak, and they didn't even try to attack Eylstadt in the meantime. And all they got in return was some theories on Izetta's power confirmed. It's a pretty bad trade-off imo.

Oh well, if you are "sure" the Germanians could take over Eylstadt in a few hours

Basler could have killed Izetta if Berkan didn't stop him. I know the Emperor wanted her alive and all, but Eliot made it clear taking over Eylstadt takes priority. If the Emperor knew what he was doing, he would have ordered Berkan to take out Izetta if they had the chance while they attacked Eylstadt in the meantime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually, you raise a very good point. I had forgotten the Emperor wants Izetta alive. That alone more than justifies why the Germanians aren't trying to assassinate her. However, you'd think they'd be trying for a kidnapping scenario, then.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, you raise a very good point. I had forgotten the Emperor wants Izetta alive.

He wanted her alive, but don't forget Eliot reminded him taking over Eylstadt takes priority over that, so it's not a valid excuse. They should have let Basler take her out when they had the chance and go for Eylstadt in the meantime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Except that I'm assuming the Emperor's motivation for wanting Izetta alive is more than just because he has an interest in the occult - doubtlessly he wants to harness her power in the service of Germania. Eylstadt is fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I get the sense the Germanians are mainly just invading it because it's there as opposed to being part of any overarching strategic design.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Weren't they gonna use it to make travel to Africa easier, or something like that?
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Except that I'm assuming the Emperor's motivation for wanting Izetta alive is more than just because he has an interest in the occult - doubtlessly he wants to harness her power in the service of Germania.

We don't know why he wants her. We do know conquering Eylstadt takes priority. That much was stated, and that's why I have some many issues with this episode. It's like they conveniently forgot their own stated priorities.

Mind you, this is probably just Yoshino being Yoshino. It's clear he's not putting too much thought into this script. The characterization is paper-thin too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 18