• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online: What makes it SEEM so bad?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm surprised "Silica and the plant" scene gets so much hate. In the novel, it just grabs her and turns her upside down until she slices it in half. Like, it's really no big deal. If the anime added more to that, that's A-1's fault...

That is what I'm suggesting though. From the looks of things, the only problems that stand out enough to be more than just "personal preference" all come from the adaption decisions. Suspension of disbelief problems among other things are much easier to overlook. From the standpoint of loving SAO but experiencing it through the novels first then the anime it has become clear that the adaption makes Kirito look a bit too OP. In the novel you can hear his inner monologue so you can understand things that he's having much more difficulty with than its portrayed in the anime, not to mention my previous statement about those scenes.

Edit: For the record I personally have no issue with those scenes, but I most certainly understand those complaints now and believe they are justified.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I don't buy that the "Silica and the plant" scene criticism is justified at all. People are really reaching to call that a fan service scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
At the very least it wasn't a scene one should take seriously. It was comedic, unlike the other two cases.

Anyways, awhile ago Lobokendo asked why the show was critically panned too and I've been thinking that might have to do with expectations vs reality. I remember episode 1 got a lot of praise and I got the impression that they thought it was going to be a super serious and insightful tale of human nature or something. When the show took a more light hearted RPG hijinks turn it shattered the belief it was going to be more "high art" than escapist fantasy.

A lot of reviewers out there like to see themselves as connoisseurs and thus will be overly critical to things they see as 'beneath' them. This is amplified when they initially praise a work and it "betrays" them. It's as if they have to scramble to reclaim their credibility after initially praising it.

For people in general disappointment will make them view things more harshly. That's why hype can be dangerous. Say some one is lead to believe a show will be a 9, but it turns out to be a respectable 6. Well that's -3 disappointment so they'll act like it's a failed 3.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I had the impression that the quality of the show dropped a lot from it's first episodes to the last. Usually I find myself more and more engrossed in a 24 episode show but with SAO it was the inverse, getting less and less interesting for each episode. So even though it's a fairly average show because it appeared to be really good in the beginning made it a disappointing experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Jose, do you think you'll watch Season II? It's pretty good, honestly.
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi
Don't get his hopes up for Christ's sake! Tell Jose that it's a decent sequel and that he might find it tolerable. That way he'll be pleasantly surprised when he realizes how good it is. Wink
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sorry, I don't buy that the "Silica and the plant" scene criticism is justified at all. People are really reaching to call that a fan service scene.

...it's a monster with tons of writhing tentacles groping all over a loli-looking character. No offense, but how the hell could that NOT be taken as a particular sort of fan service? Razz
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
"Groping all over?" I really hope you're not talking about this scene:

It grabbed her LEGS and it never went farther than that.

Or are we talking about this slightly later encounter?

She gets squeezed and licked on the face like something sampling its dinner - and I don't mean that in a sexual sense, either.

What, pray tell, constitutes "groping all over" or, for that matter, anything else salacious? This isn't like the licking scenes in Hyperdimension Neptunia, which clearly were intended that way.

I'll fully grant you that SAO's track record on this isn't the greatest because of that Asuna-Suguo crap, but I'll not tolerate unsubstantiated indictments.

Last edited by Key on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I watched that episode but in the LN, it doesn't grope her at all.

She does hold her skirt down but nothing happens and it's meant to be kind of funny. It really doesn't go into detail.

Quote:
She gets squeezed and licked on the face like something sampling its dinner - and I don't mean that in a sexual sense, either.

THEY ADDED THAT. The anime staff added that. But yes, it's a "man-eating plant monster", the novel describes. It wanted her for a snack. There was nothing sexual implied.

Quote:
This isn't like the licking scenes in Hyperdimension Neptunia, which clearly were intended that way.

Omg Neptunia.....there was no question what the show was doing. Anime hyper
That was way more disturbing.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Jose, do you think you'll watch Season II? It's pretty good, honestly.

Maybe. But I might spend my time more productively watching or reading something safer. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
It's a tentacle monster taking hold of a hapless young girl. I agree with you both that it's ridiculous, but unfortunately, this is the reputation anime (or perhaps just hentai, but I guess it hardly matters) has sown in the fandom. v.v
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
So you're saying that you think that, even within fandom, tentacles present automatically = something sexual?

I'd be quite dejected by this if it wasn't for the fact that such a belief is actually correct at least half the time. Rolling Eyes
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
Pretty much. Mere mention of the word, "tentacles" induces a flashback to the Bible Black daemon scene. I'm sure it didn't begin there, but Bible Black is arguably the most (in)famous hentai in general, so I'm sticking by that statement.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So you're saying that you think that, even within fandom, tentacles present automatically = something sexual?

I'd be quite dejected by this if it wasn't for the fact that such a belief is actually correct at least half the time. Rolling Eyes

Given that the association within Japanese culture itself dates back at least 200 years (link NSFW), I think it's a pretty natural conclusion. I'll admit that I went overboard with the "groping" part, but come on...you have a young girl being dangled helplessly by a tentacle monster, with an explicit joke being made about her trying to keep her skirt from flipping up/down, all with an extremely embarassed demeanor. This is a fanservice moment through and through, the same as that portrayed in a depressing number of harem series as far back as one cares to look. And if the idea of a girl being wrapped up in a giant tongue and licked on the face doesn't suggest any sexual connotations to you, well, all I can say is that I'll assume you've managed to avoid some of the more sordid portions of the Internet, and I genuinely envy you.

(For the record, I don't necessarily care what the source novels did or didn't do, as I'm limiting my critiques to the anime, and honestly my most fundamental problems with the series involve pretty basic story elements. Plus after tracking down the infamous "Chapter 14.5" for a laugh, I'm not in any hurry to read any more of Kawahara's prose. *shudder*)
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, I had no idea that anime fans were getting aroused watching scenes like the Whomping Willow throwing a helpless Hermione around.

Or for those whose are into guys there's the tentacles of Watcher in the Water, doing (erotic?) things to helpless hobbits. Well, you learn something new every day... Rolling Eyes

~EDIT~

There was also the mentioning of giant tongues licking faces as sexual symbolism.

I mostly feel disgust when I watch Jabba and Leia in this scene, but to each his own I suppose... Confused

Last edited by Night fox on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 15