• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director of Gundam SEED Thinks Anime Has Too Many Regulations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Hitchcock is often covered in film studies, and he had limitations in technology and what's societal restrictions acceptable in his time; yet he created amazing stuff.

Now imagine what kind of stuff he could have made without censors hounding him Wink Sadly, we'll never know.

Undoubtedly it'd still be amazing since the guy's exceptionally talented, but dunno if it's gonna be as memorable decades later. Directors have an abundance of choices these days, and they're mostly doing the same things, for reasons previously provided.

Anyways, also it's not just the # of timeslots but where the timeslots are spread. Like Toonami is back and with even more timeslots, but it's targeted the same as Adult Swim Action. In a way it's good it's less restrictions, but afternoon Toonami/Miguzi is still lost, so that's at least couple demo segments we're still missing. It's mostly concentrated targeting, so we're still not as spread out.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to say Mohawk52's comments seem a bit off base to me, and people who said similar things. He said a trend he noticed is shows being forgotten 6 months after they end. That is not a new trend at all, actually. Anime has so many shows coming out each year it is impossible to keep them all popular as when they are airing. Every year we get over a hundred new shows. How can people keep talking about thousands of shows that have already aired in addition to the hundreds that are currently airing? Anime is a very lucky medium in we get so much produced each year that we always have new stuff to watch. The fact we are not still talking about a show from 2004 does not mean that show is bad or forgettable, just that anime is so massive it makes no sense to live in the past unless you're extremely jaded and cling to the past for no reason other to cling to the past.

residentgrigo wrote:
I also watched a few clips form Victory Gundam to remind myself of days gone by and would like to share this masterpiece to the class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yYkxTfeVKs

How anyone let this one fly i don´t know but just imagine this show running as a daytime cartoon anywhere else in 91. I love oldschool anime but it was crazy.

What do you mean exactly? The gunshot is pretty tame by modern anime standards. You can actually show blood in this day and age so I'd say things have gotten more lenient if you're using that clip as a standard to judge things by.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I mean that a soldier tries to rape an underage girl(second female lead I might add) and his superior shoots him to death in the back/head as disciplinary punishment. You cant get bleaker that this and in a children time slot ! If R rated Band of Brothers or Call of Duty would even try something like this reddit would melt. MGS Ground Zeroes actualy had some dark sexual violence + a snuke and look at tumbler now ! Victory didn´t run at night or something and it was a vehicle for Bandai to sell toys (as always) but they wanted to reach a younger market, thus Tomino decided to go for younger leads all around. There are dark war shows like Exosquad for children but it was never that bleak !
Zeta comes close sometimes(dead children on screen) but the shows wasn´t quite as depressing ALL the time and was marketed slightly "older" due to the aged fans of the first show. I imagine something like this scene running after lets say Dragonball or for us Batman TAS(it featured a vaguely disguised prostitute in Robins Reckoning). I can only imagine the conversation parents had with their children after the scene. Mama why was the soldier fondling Katejina breast and what did he want to do with her ? Imagine watching something like this at age 8. I knew about sex back then but i don´t think i knew about rape of war prisoners. Awesome edutainment.
Don´t get me wrong i like the scene and Victory itslef a LOT and the show isn´t that "bloody ON screen" but the series has some strange ideas and never hides them by vagueness. Old people get publicly beheaded, the leads mom gets her head shopped of on screen by a Motorcycle-Robot (it repents Tominos fruition with the Bandai merger, toy tie ins and working conditions) and the lead(13) nearly gets raped by a female villain who is 10 years older and falls for him because his military "might". And nearly everyone dies horribly. Some even melt. Bonus points for all the crying, the bleak colors and the artsy characters sendoffs sometimes. I just want to say that Tomino went insane like back with Ideon(EVA before EVA and had on screen behadings of small children, the 2 movies are a must watch) and TV Asahi + the Toy manufacturers let him do it ! Thus an auteur driven show for kids was born. I am a sick dude and watch R rated movies since age 6 but i wouldn´t have let Victory have its timeslot. I guess that G Gundam was an answer for the content the show pushed like ZZ to Zeta.
After all was GI Joe advertised with public executions and attempted rape ? It should have ! After all Robocop, Conan and so on got children shows back in the 80s. I guess that Hunter X Hunter is the modern equivalent but that one lost is day slot. The early 90s were a fascinating time for the medium. The heights and lows were so severe back then- Would would Yoshiyuki say about the state of Gundam now. After all the last 2 shows were childfriendly and we can´t have that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
For us North America-based anime fans, including myself, listening to Fukuda's commentary may provoke us to want to ask "what is worse? The censorship imposed of animated programs aired on U.S. television networks of the censorship imposed on those shown on Japanese T.V. networks?". I used to think that U.S. T.V. censorship is the evil opposite of Japanese T.V. censorship, but know I do not know which is worse anymore when it comes to airing animation. One thing is for sure, animated films have more creative freedom than T.V. animation. And yes, I sometimes worry that Japan's media maybe stooping to the level of that of the U.S. in terms of standards regarding what filmmakers can and cannot depict onscreen when they do their work.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Nudity? That's all over late night anime now as well, and those beams of light blocking out the details are not censorship; they're a way to entice the truly sad to shell out 7,000 yen for the "uncensored" blu-ray.

Not necessarily. There are often layers of censorship - the studio will be the ones amping up the steam and putting silly stickers over things, while the broadcasters are more likely to be the ones crudely cropping or blacking out parts of the frame (e.g. see http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/07/22/japanese-regional-physics/ [NSFW])
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I just wanted to say Mohawk52's comments seem a bit off base to me, and people who said similar things. He said a trend he noticed is shows being forgotten 6 months after they end. That is not a new trend at all, actually. Anime has so many shows coming out each year it is impossible to keep them all popular as when they are airing. Every year we get over a hundred new shows. How can people keep talking about thousands of shows that have already aired in addition to the hundreds that are currently airing? Anime is a very lucky medium in we get so much produced each year that we always have new stuff to watch. The fact we are not still talking about a show from 2004 does not mean that show is bad or forgettable, just that anime is so massive it makes no sense to live in the past unless you're extremely jaded and cling to the past for no reason other to cling to the past.
I said 3 months not six, and what you are highlighting is just what I mean, hundreds of new shows, but of what genre, and how many people will really want to see them again and again except for a few hardcore fans? Why is it we still praise shows like any of the Ghibli movies, or shows by Satoshi Kon? Shows that some are well over 25 or 30 years? How many of those hundreds you see getting ground out like minced meat today will still be remembered 30 years from now like Nausicaa, or Perfect Blue?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:
I said 3 months not six, and what you are highlighting is just what I mean, hundreds of new shows, but of what genre, and how many people will really want to see them again and again except for a few hardcore fans? Why is it we still praise shows like any of the Ghibli movies, or shows by Satoshi Kon? Shows that some are well over 25 or 30 years? How many of those hundreds you see getting ground out like minced meat today will still be remembered 30 years from now like Nausicaa, or Perfect Blue?

Ah but even in the good old days of anime if such a thing ever really existed, not all shows became classics. Just to be clear, let's talk about the seventies era. Italy got 99%+ of the Japanse anime production from that era. It got everything minus 1-2 shows. And they all aired on tv. Well let me tell you that only a small handful of such shows truly are classics and are remembered even nowadays. The rest are easily forgotten, and if you hear them talked about in this forum is just because most US fans have never even seen them.
The same is true for the eighties, nineties and 00s. Quality is not quantity; it never was. As a percentage the amount of shit anime being produced is constant (which is very high) and the amount of truly timeless classics being produced is also constant (which is very low). Just accept this fundamental fact.
And as for films the same thing happens. We talk about Macross, Nausicaa, Patlabor, Perfect Blue and Ghost in the Shell. But the Japanese have produced hundreds and hundreds of anime films. Most of them mediocre and easily forgotten.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
There may have been manga by the hundreds back in the "good old days" but not the anime. Indeed it was only up to the crash of 2007 that the amount of anime producted was increasing steadly up at it's peak, but back in the early 70's anime was on the verge of collapsing out of existance, and didn't really start to take off until the early to mid 80's as more and more anime was known and liked because it was Japanese. But since 2010 it has started to steadily increase again as more and more studios are looking at the foreign markets to make up for the losses in domestic, but are a bit more weary of pirating with legal streams which have yet to pay off, but they're still trying it. The increased pressure of newly introduced censorship regulations is basically raining on the studios' fire and some are voicing their objection as we see. I blame it on the new upserge in political conservatism of Aso and his lot.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
There may have been manga by the hundreds back in the "good old days" but not the anime. Indeed it was only up to the crash of 2007 that the amount of anime producted was increasing steadly up at it's peak, but back in the early 70's anime was on the verge of collapsing out of existance, and didn't really start to take off until the early to mid 80's as more and more anime was known and liked because it was Japanese. But since 2010 it has started to steadily increase again as more and more studios are looking at the foreign markets to make up for the losses in domestic, but are a bit more weary of pirating with legal streams which have yet to pay off, but they're still trying it. The increased pressure of newly introduced censorship regulations is basically raining on the studios' fire and some are voicing their objection as we see. I blame it on the new upserge in political conservatism of Aso and his lot.

If you want to count by number of series yes. But in terms of episodes being produced I don't think the increase over the years has been that dramatic. And frankly it makes no difference. Naruto, One piece, Detective Conan have hundreds and hundreds of episodes yet people remember fondly only certain story arcs (the good ones) and forget the rest. You simply cannot produce consistent high quality (in terms of visuals, narrative etc...) over hundreds of episodes of a single series, or over hundreds of series of 10 episodes each.

Censorship is not the problem. You guys are hitting the wrong button.
Anime's modern woes are all due to it being mostly evicted from mainstream tv. Why is that ? That's the root of the problem. And it has had as a consequence the necessity for anime companies to chase the extremes. Of course extremes are more succeptible to censorship. It has always been like this because extremes deal with things that most of the time are out of social norms. But let me ask you this, has anime being on mainstream tv for 40 years in Japan somehow been a limiting factor in terms of storytelling and innovation ?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
gundam seed was rehash and terrible, in my opinion.

I am pro-censorship.
I believe anime wants to be free and is art but if you are going around posting graphic material on public television then you deserve to get regulated.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Why is it we still praise shows like any of the Ghibli movies, or shows by Satoshi Kon? Shows that some are well over 25 or 30 years?

Who is "we"? Who praises them endlessly? The American public only cares about Ghibli because the studio is basically Japanese Disney. More specifically Miyazaki. More specifically Ghibli's works which fit in line with family friendly American norms. Hense why Wind Rises and Poppy Hill got a more limited theater release and ushered quickly to DVD here compared to Arietty which was shown in over 1,500 theaters. The latter you can market as 'family friendly adventure flicks'. The ones about two people who might be comitting incest and world war fighter planes? Not so much. Put a big asterix mark next to Ghibli's name for that claim.

And who exactly gushes about Satoshi Kon? His movies were never that popular and they target strictly adults, unlike Ghibli's work. Ghibli and Kon are like on opposite ends of the spectrum in both popularity and target audiences. You may as well compare Pokemon to Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The only time I ever see anyone discuss Perfect Blue is when it gets brought up in discussions of Hollywood movies lifting things from anime.

You mostly mentioned movies, which exist in a different realm than television studios. In general pretty much any show the American public still gushes over 10 years after it airs can be easily explained. Mainly because they aired on TV when they were children so they have nostalgic ties to them, like Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, or Pokemon or Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Ghost in the Shell. Now that people are adults, they can't watch modern anime with such newfound wonder. They now see the 50 shows that air a season, as adults, and not kids who ran home after school to watch Toonami or stay up late to watch Adult Swim. Of course no modern anime is going to capture those iconic and memorable series for them. Nothing ever will. The entry level wonderment is gone and all that's left is nostalgia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8