• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
Voting For:
Triela and Pinocchio, Gunslinger Girl
Oh hell yes! Good one. Smile
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Voting For:[/u]

Triela and Pinocchio, Gunslinger Girl

I'm with Jello - excellent choice.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Triela vs. Pinocchio (Gunslinger Girl)
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty bored right now, so I decided to write a rough draft of the Shiki nomination. If anybody wants to improve it, go ahead.

Nominating:

Humans Vs. Shiki, Shiki

Key Members (Humans): Toshio, Kaori Tanaka, Akira Tanaka: Pic

Key Members (Shiki): Kirishiki family (Sunako, Chizuru, Seishirou), Tatsumi: Pic

Majority of Shiki Characters (Humans and Shiki): Pic

Type Of Rivalry
: Survival

What's It's About:
(From Wikipedia) A series of mysterious deaths begin to spread in the village, at the same time when a strange family moves into the long abandoned Kanemasa mansion. Toshio Ozaki, dean of the only hospital in Sotoba, initially suspects an epidemic. But as investigations continue and the deaths begin to pile up, he becomes convinced that they are the work of the undead plaguing the village.

Why They Should Win: Both groups fight each other for survival, the Shiki fight for a safe haven and the humans fight for their home. Both groups go through several methods to try and reach their goals, the Shiki attack humans secretively and convert some humans into their own kind. Whereas, the humans retaliate by brutally killing the Shiki. The tension between both groups puts them in a situation where they must fight each other for the sake of their survival.

Edit: Some grammar.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:

Humans vs Okiagari/Shiki / Shiki

I was thinking of doing a write up for them too Smile
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see how I overlooked these two before, my brain must be on vacation.

NOMINATING:
Shinku vs. Suigintou Rozen Maiden pic
Type of Rivalry: Survival, enemies
What it's about: A master doll maker named Rozen made 7 beautiful dolls, and to each he gave a Rosa Mystica, which brought them to life and allowed them to walk and use magic. Even with this accomplishment, they were not perfect, and so he created the Alice game. Each doll has to fight the others, the winner receiving the Rosa Mystica of the other and the loser becoming lifeless. The last one standing would possess all the Rosa Mystica and become the most beautiful, pure, and perfect doll named Alice. Shinku and Suigintou are two dolls of the Rozen Maiden and so to survive must clash, but their enmity goes further in that they used to be friends. They also both wish to become Alice so they can be perfect, because the doll who becomes Alice is then worthy of becoming the companion of Rozen.
Why they Should Win: Unlike many other rivalries, this one is destined to clash and only have 1 standing when the dust settles. Even beyond the Alice game they would still be rivals for the right to become perfect and accompany Rozen.

Kira/Light Yagami vs. Near Death Note pic
Type of Rivalry: ideological, justice
What it's all about: By using a supernatural notebook that kills the person whose name is written in it, Light Yagami has become Kira, a self-proclaimed god to rid the world of all evil. When his benefactor and role model is killed, Near takes up the challenge of bringing Kira to justice.
Why they Should Win: Most rivalries or adversaries are at least partly over love and expressed through sword fights or superpower battles. This rivalry is a rare battle of wits of two great minds, both fighting for what they perceive to be justice.

VOTING FOR:
Vash the Stampede vs. Millions Knives Trigun
Mink vs. Veena Dragon Half
-Heck yes, I love this vindictive hilarious duo!
Triela vs. Pinocchio Gunslinger Girl
Humans vs. Shiki Shiki

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Having just started watching it and already almost halfway through, I'm seconding the Kouga/Ita Ninja Clans from Basilisk
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Voting For
The Digidestined vs Myotismon, Digimon Adventures
San v Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm going to keep this to series that I've actually watched, but here goes:

Voting For:

1. Dragons of Heaven vs. Earth, X TV
2. Kaname vs. Zero, Vampire Knight
3. Lelouch vs. Suzaku, Code Geass
4. Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
5. Yuki vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
6. Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara - Durarara!
7. Vash vs Knives, Trigun
8. Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann
9. Kamina/Simon vs. Viral, Gurren Lagann
10. Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Voting Against:

Sugata vs. Takuto, Star Driver: I think the problem with this one is that the "rivalry" between them is ultimately something of a facade. The end of the series makes it quite clear that they actually aren't trying to compete with one another in any way, even if they occasionally appeared to be doing so. Their mutual friendship means far more to either of them than the fact that they love the same girl, and the fact that we get spoiler[an apparently canon threesome] at the end backs this up.

Finally, is anyone thinking about nominating Yomi vs. Kagura from Ga-Rei: Zero? I'd do it, but I'm not that good at writing up nominations, so if someone else is planning on it I'll leave it up to you.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Akito Hayama vs. Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha pic
Type of Conflict: Romantic Rivals
What It's About: Akito starts as the mortal 6th grade enemy of heroine Sana, but over the course of time he transitions into being a close friend and love interest. Naozume, a child actor from the same orphanage that Sana once briefly stayed at, also becomes interested in Sana when they meet. The two spend the rest of the series in a back-and-forth contest to see who will ultimately be Sana's boyfriend.

Why They Should Win: Though rarely in direct conflict, the two nonetheless clearly see each other as rivals for Sana's attention and romantic interest, as they get jealous or "concede victory for now" when the other seems to have the upper hand.

*Note: I have only seen the first half of this series and know that these relationships progress a lot more in the second half, so I would welcome some extra fleshing out from a knowledgeable fan.

Oh, and the nightly update (yeah, I know it's actually been two days now) should be up within moments. I'll post a couple of other nominations later today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Yang Wen-li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm Legend of the Galactic Heroes pic
Type of Conflict: worthy opponents, ideological opponents
What It's All About: For years Galactic Empire and Free Planets Alliance have been fighting with each other. Yang Wen li is from Free Planets Alliance and Reinhard is from Galactic Empire, both join the military for different reasons, Reinhard to gain the power and reform the corrupted Galactic Empire, Yang Wen li because he had no other choice, but despite the fact that he doesn’t take on a bigger role, even thought the Alliance is at the lowest point of its decadence and if he took it, it would change the balance of power, he is able to fight back against superior forces of the Galactic Empire led by Reinhard. Both quickly realize that the other one is a worthy opponent. Throughout the series they usually encounter each other on battlefields rather than directly. Although at one point Reinhard asks Yang to join him, Yang Wen-li declines the offer because he prefers democracy, even if it is led by worthless people and the Alliance created to oppose a ruthless dictatorship no longer has a reason to exists, since Reinhard has turned this dictatorship into a benevolent one.
Why They Should Win: Their battles of wits make an interesting show and the nature of the conflict which they embody, democracy vs. autocracy, is thought-provoking.

Voting for:
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
Mink vs. Veena Dragon Half

Last edited by Aylinn on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
OMG! I KNEW we were missing a very important match up!

Seconding
Yang Wen-li vs Reinhard von Lohengramm
, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
-this is one of the greatest adversaries match ups in the history of anime, why did it take 8 pages to mention them?! Were we all having a collective senior moment or something?! Anyway, thanks to Aylinn it has been fixed and it's getting an immediate seconding from me.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Nominating:
Makoto Mizuhara vs Katsuhiko Jinnai, El Hazard franchise pic
Type of Rivalry: Adversaries
What It's All About: While the circumstances that lead them to El Hazard differ between the OAV and TV series spinoff, the rivalry between Makoto and Jinnai play out the same in both continuities. Jinnai is the crooked president of the high school student council who is in low standing with his fellow representatives. With Makoto being able to excel better than him at many things in school and more popular, Jinnai crazily thinks that Makoto is out to steal his position in the student council and tries to sabotage Makoto's efforts. The two boys, alongside Jinnai's sister Nanami and teacher Fujisawa-sensei, are whisked away to the world of El Hazard where Makoto is able to become a confidant and ally to the royal family of Roshtaria while Jinnai becomes a commander of the Bugrom armies when he gains the ability to communicate with the insect race. Jinnai seeks to become the ruler of El Hazard through the Bugrom race while Makoto helps the kingdom of Roshtaria halt their advances.
Why They Should Win: The chemistry between Makoto and Jinnai adds to much of the hilarity found within the El Hazard franchise where Jinnai's over-the-top behavior and grand actions tend to often leave Makoto dumbfounded while Makoto's ability to succeed in halting the Bugroms tends to frustrate Jinnai to no end throughout the franchise.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure about this one, but the series is certainly going in this direction and if the opening is any indication, Kimimaro and Mikuni are going to fight against each other.

Nominating:

Kimimaro Yoga vs. Sōichirō Mikuni C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control pic
Type of Conflict: ideological
What It's All About: Kimimaro is a young student that gets involved in fights in a strange financial district where everyone has their own asset that fights with them against other members of this district. There Kimimaro encounters a man named Mikuni, who uses money he gets from this strange district, midas money, to save Japan from the crisis it is in. Kimimaro discovers that the price of having mids money in the real world is stolen future. Throughout the series as Kimimaro sees people’s future taken away from them and whole cities disappear, he comes to a conclusion that the present is worthless, if all you can get is a miserable future, while Mikuni believes that the present is more important than the future and does everything to save it, which means using midas money and stealing the future from people. Kimimaro decides to put an end to it.
Why They Should Win: Their conflict ‘save the present’ vs. ‘save the future’ presents an interesting problem.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
C - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control is a new series in the current season. Thus any rivals/adversaries from it are explicitly not eligible for this tournament.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 20