• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Promotes One Piece's Return With Rhyming Pirate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To be fair, I think there's a little bit of a difference than saying "my ancient race passed away 100 years ago" in passing and actively showing a woman get shot point-blank with a shotgun on screen with her insides get blown behind her as she slumps to the floor dead.

Please, PLEASE stop trying to act all EDGY AND DARK YO. Please. It hurts to read.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL, are you trying to use this thread as a springboard to once again soapbox about your perceived superiority of all anime all the time to everything else that ever existed? I tire of your soapboxing and your constant effort to express your prejudice in any and every thread, and you have been warned again and again and again. We all know you're a bias japanophile you probably believes Japan is really just floating out there in space and we all revolve around it because of the gravitational forces caused by its incredibly greatness in your eyes, but I'm tired of you constantly using any thread that even mentions another title or channel as a springboard to tell everyone how prejudiced you are.

Long story short; cut the soapboxing crap if you don't want to be put under moderation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
animehermit wrote:
That point about death would have been more poignant if One Piece hadn't waited 500 episodes to actually show characters dying. It literally didn't show a single character death until that point.

Bellemere says hi. Smile

It showed Arlong fatally shooting her in a long flashback around episode 30-something. Definitely one of the more tearjerker moments of the series.

Ha! 500 episodes. A whole lotta dying was going on way before that.

TitanXL, you are SUPER delusional when you talk about the popularity/ratings of shows like Batman: The Animated series. Claiming that what you like is better than what someone else likes is one things, but numbers and popularity levels are things that can be represented by numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
You do realize you're talking about freakin BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES here, one of the most HIGHLY renowned animated shows of all time. You're in the deep minority who doesn't like it.

By who, exactly? And no, I think it's safe to say more people in the world have either never heard of it or don't like it than people who do like it. Let's not overestimate things now. This is getting into Firefly territory of a vocal fanbase saying "no, seriously, everyone loves it and it has world-wide popularity and acclaim and it's the best thing ever"

The only Batman thing that's truly huge and well loved is the Nolan movies, like the Burton movies before it. That's why you see everyone dressing up and impersonating Bale Batman, Ledger Joker, and British Bane, not the 90s animate counterparts, or any of the other cartoon versions for that matter. Live-action movies are always going to be more popular and recognized and acclaimed than a children's cartoon will be.

Keonyn wrote:
Stuff

Not once does any of my posts here mention the "elite" status of anime being inherent to itself. It is merely pointing out certain aspects and contrasting them against another. Is it not objective? If you really find the idea of any comparison between two mediums "prejudice" then that indicates a lack of willingness to critical think.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
Claiming that what you like is better than what someone else likes is one things, but numbers and popularity levels are things that can be represented by numbers.

What 'numbers' are these, exactly, and what are we comparing them to?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Is it not objective?

It's getting off-topic, is the problem.

Between you and Crispy45, you both made the thread become another one of these American animation vs Japanese animation arguments that frankly, I'm getting tired of now and had to report you both a few times for. And I sincerely don't buy anymore that this kind of topic and the way the topic unfolds all the time makes for any good discussion. I've seen similar arguments with the same opinions, same sides, and the same examples thrown from both sides, same standards. And it just goes nowhere every time.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
By who, exactly? And no, I think it's safe to say more people in the world have either never heard of it or don't like it than people who do like it. Let's not overestimate things now. This is getting into Firefly territory of a vocal fanbase saying "no, seriously, everyone loves it and it has world-wide popularity and acclaim and it's the best thing ever"

The only Batman thing that's truly huge and well loved is the Nolan movies, like the Burton movies before it. That's why you see everyone dressing up and impersonating Bale Batman, Ledger Joker, and British Bane, not the 90s animate counterparts, or any of the other cartoon versions for that matter. Live-action movies are always going to be more popular and recognized and acclaimed than a children's cartoon will be.

First of all, the Nolan movies are popular right now because they're current, and are where the franchise is right now (hey, they ARE good, no one's saying they're bad...). Batman: TAS, while not as old as the Burton movies, is still from around the same time. It's a major part of Batman history, but isn't current.

As for it's popularity, did you NOT know that Harley Quinn was introduced to the franchise through the show? She was a product of the show, and her popularity ensured her appearance in future media, including becoming a major character in the comics and getting her own spinoff comic.

Also, the show was nominated for 13 Emmys, winning 4.

IGN listed Batman: The Animated Series as the BEST adaptation of Batman anywhere outside of comics, as well as the BEST COMIC BOOK CARTOON OF ALL TIME as well as the #2 GREATEST ANIMATED TELEVISION SHOW IN HISTORY: http://tv.ign.com/top-100-animated-tv-series/2.html Entertainment Weekly also ranked the show as ONE OF THE TOP TELEVISION SHOWS OF THE YEAR in 1992. That's just a sample of the high acclaim it got, and is a good representation of it's reception among fans. Google it, Wiki it (it's got lots of sources), it's clear that this is one American cartoon that is highly popular, renowned, and respected. Of course since it's not Japanese (although it was ANIMATED in Japan...) such a thing will of course offend you.

Watch the episode "Heart and Ice" and tell me to my face that the show is a "Children's Cartoon". It's the episode that turned Mr. Freeze from a comical ice-themed villain to a serious, tragic character with a sympathetic backstory. This backstory was made canon in the comic books.

You realize how in heavy denial you are. You apparently aren't a part of the DC Comics fandom at all, or you're trying to purposefully make me and everybody angry by trying to say that everything made in Japan is automatically better, when it's absolutely NOT. Listen to what everyone here is trying to tell you and take the hint...

I will ask you one more time: name ONE American cartoon that you enjoy (that you watch in English, not shows like PPG and Gumball where you've admitted to watching in Japanese, despite them being created in English).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Not once does any of my posts here mention the "elite" status of anime being inherent to itself. It is merely pointing out certain aspects and contrasting them against another. Is it not objective? If you really find the idea of any comparison between two mediums "prejudice" then that indicates a lack of willingness to critical think.

I don't care. I really don't. Your own remarks on these forums have betrayed your stance far more than any amount of damage control now can possibly resolve. It is not lack of willingness to critical think on my part that is the problem; but rather your masking your own prejudice as such.

All of that is irrelevant however because this is not a discussion regarding Batman, American animation, or any of the crap you've once again felt the need to dump in to this thread so you can once again soapbox about why all things from Japan are so much better (to you, which betrays your own lack of critical thinking). I'm going to tell you one more time, stay on topic and discuss One-Piece and this goofy Pirate, because that is what this thread is about. Stop trying to turn every discussion where something non-Anime is referenced, either a show or game or movie or channel, in to your latest excuse to preach about your perceived superiority issues. You do this constantly, and I do mean constantly, and our tolerance is getting thin, as is the userbase judging by the number of reports your ramblings tend to produce.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

YotaruVegeta wrote:
Claiming that what you like is better than what someone else likes is one things, but numbers and popularity levels are things that can be represented by numbers.

What 'numbers' are these, exactly, and what are we comparing them to?

TV ratings, DVD sales and such.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

First of all, the Nolan movies are popular right now because they're current, and are where the franchise is right now (hey, they ARE good, no one's saying they're bad...). Batman: TAS, while not as old as the Burton movies, is still from around the same time. It's a major part of Batman history, but isn't current.

Yes. OTOH, live-action is live-action, and for better or worse, it's going to be more popular and recognized and acclaimed than children's cartoon including anime. So it's not like even anime would trump live-action, so it's useless like comparing it to an impossible standard.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
^ I agree for the most part. I never said TAS is MORE recognized (right now) than the Nolan movies. I'm just pointing out that TAS is an overall very popular, well-received, and renowned cartoon. It doesn't have to be more popular than the Nolan movies to do this. Razz I will say it's probably more renowned than the Burton movies at least.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I would say that Batman: The Animated Series was better received critically than the Nolan Trilogy has been. TOTALLY unscientific assumption there, but I've heard and read little disappointment in BTAS in comparison to Nolan's films.

The Nolan Batmans are easily more popular, though. The Films reach out to a wider audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8