• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can an american become an anime artist?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nervheadquarters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Can an american become an anime artist?I am 15 and i have been practicing drawing anime for 3 years.When I get older I want to draw anime series, but I have no clue how to get into the anime business and becoming a professional.Do i have to go to certain college or university?Is the college or university in Japan or the US? Do I have to live in Japan? Do i need to know japanese?If anyone can answer this i would be very greatful! I really want to do this when i grow up.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Yes, if you really want to get into the industry as an artist, you'll want to learn Japanese, move to Japan, and then start at the very bottom in the industry like everyone else.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Not to nitpick, but this should also probably go in the Anime forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:19 pm Reply with quote
nervheadquarters wrote:
Can an american become an anime artist?

The short answer is "Yes, but it's not likely":
animenewsnetwork.com/columns/answerman.php?id=162

The longer answer is "Yes, but it's really not likely OR worthwhile":
http://www.janscottfrazier.com/animinjp/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Well firstly you would need to become fluent in Japanese. Secondly, you would need to move to Japan and become well-versed in their culture. I'd say its posible, but it would be quite a task for an American to accomplish.
ayanami42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:34 pm Reply with quote
yeah of course, if it is something you really want to do. Write a short anime series of your own at home then ask friends what they think of the art. I am not exactly sure about the whole moving to Japan and learning Japanese(although it would be helpful)But go to google and check out different websites. maybe sometime go to an Anime convention and show your art work(i have seen plenty of people do it) get the art looked at and noticed. but thats great that you have done it for years. i can't draw to save my life. but go for it if you want it.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Here is my two cents.

Don't try and get into the anime industry. If you want to it's, probably cause you think anime is better than Amercan animation. If this is the case, why not just make your own American animation? Try and reform the US stereotype of cartoons being for kids.
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Don't try and get into the anime industry. If you want to it's, probably cause you think anime is better than Amercan animation. If this is the case, why not just make your own American animation? Try and reform the US stereotype of cartoons being for kids.

That's smart, but maybe it'll turn out to be another Anime look-alike. Or the society won't accept the change. Or it'll turn out to be a late night show for losers. But you could try it out anyways and if it doesn't work, I hope you have a back up plan. Anime smile
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
After hearing many things, I will butt in. What you need is to learn Japanese and get professional artist training. Too many part time artists are out there who want to draw but don't want to take art classes because they don't get to draw what you want. That is bull. Professional artists don't usually get their choice of work until many years of experience happen. Learning to draw what people tell you is the way to get a job. The basic skills from Art schools are invaluable. If your school has the option, I would take every art class you can get. There is a good probably that the art teacher will help you as much as they can. Experienced art teachers can help you find a good school to train you in more advanced methods that a professional needs. You may go, "but I just want to do Manga style". Tough, it limits you and versatility is needed in animators. It is better for you as an artist to learn as many styles as possible. With good skills in art and decent Japanese (from a native speaker point of view), and some experience in animation, you might just be able to get a job in Japanese.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After hearing many things, I will butt in. What you need is to learn Japanese and get professional artist training. Too many part time artists are out there who want to draw but don't want to take art classes because they don't get to draw what you want. That is bull. Professional artists don't usually get their choice of work until many years of experience happen. Learning to draw what people tell you is the way to get a job. The basic skills from Art schools are invaluable. If your school has the option, I would take every art class you can get. There is a good probably that the art teacher will help you as much as they can.

This is 100% true. Even though my personal art skills are....sub par the 4 years of art classes I took in High School enables me to visualize and describe in an artist's terms.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quote
God_of_Evil wrote:
That's smart, but maybe it'll turn out to be another Anime look-alike.

It doesn't have to resemble anime in looks.

Quote:
Or the society won't accept the change. Or it'll turn out to be a late night show for losers. But you could try it out anyways and if it doesn't work, I hope you have a back up plan. Anime smile

So what if society doesn't accept it. That could be a good thing. That means that Hollywood won't try and get there piece of the pie. And there is some really good stuff on late at night. Example: The BBC show Coupling comes on late at night on a local PBS(NJN). It is some good stuff. And I don't think I personally will do this. I think maybe people who don't like American cartoons, and think that Anime is the only good stuff, should try and make some American cartoons/animated media that they like..
daneb24

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:35 pm Reply with quote
of course it is okay! i am canadian and i wanna become an anime artist too, so i practice a lot. i draw anime elves, and even drew Obelisk the Tormentor (Yu-Gi-Oh!) once.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:08 am Reply with quote
There's more to drawing anime than character design...
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:49 am Reply with quote
If by "become an anime artist" you mean "make the anime of my dreams", I think the easiest way is to become filthy rich and finance the whole damn thing by yourself. And we all know how "easy" it is to become filthy rich, so I think that says a lot about the difficulty of attaining a creative position in the anime industry.

Last edited by Dan42 on Sun May 02, 2004 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:01 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
I think maybe people who don't like American cartoons, and think that Anime is the only good stuff, should try and make some American cartoons/animated media that they like..

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to do this, but some people think that Anime is greatly drawn and want to be part of it. Like some people try to be like Picasso. So they want to make stuff look like Anime. And I don't have anyhting against Anime look alikes. I, myself, love Martin mystery, but it doesn't have that Japan feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5