• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wanna be an anime director... but I'm American.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Big problem isn't it? I have some ideas for stories that I'd like to create and I think anime would be the best medium to tell them. But since I don't live in Japan and I dont speak Japanese it'll probably be hard to become an anime director. I was wondering if you guys could think of anything that could help me... this is the most popular anime forum in English right?
I think my best bet would be to make it into the gaming industry and eventually ask a Japan based gaming company (I was leaning toward Square Enix) to hire me and later hook me up with an anime studio. Or as someone suggested to me I could try to open up an anime studio in America? I also can't understand Japanese yet. Thoughts?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Overall thoughts? Get degrees, get into film making, never think "all I want to do is anime" and continue on. Maybe one day in the future you will be a director in cross over anime like The Animatrix or the new batman anime. I can't say with certainty, but I'm pretty sure there are no americans working at such a high level in Japan.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd say your best bet would be to get in to animation and maybe try to revive the US animation industry. I wouldn't say it's impossible for you, as an American, to make it to a reasonable position in the Anime industry. I do feel pretty safe in saying that it is quite unlikely though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
If you're really dead set on anime and production in Japan: learn the language to a T, (five years or more of classes) and move there after you get an education substantial to obtaining a position you can work up from to become a director.

But these guys are right: Your best bet may be to try and revive the American animation industry. It's not impossible. Just try to get into film here and go from there, letting great anime be your inspiration just like the masters drew from their favorite types of cinema.

That's what I'm planning to do. I have lots of fantasies of types of films I'd love to do, some animated, some live-action. I just know I'm going to have to put a lot of elbow grease into my studies and get a good internship in LA before that will happen. The only idea I have for a film that's directly related to anime, though, is my dream of making a Trigun trilogy. Live-action, not animated. But that would rock face. I could die happy. Very Happy
G.O.T.T. Eclair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
My only suggestion, and possibly the hardest, learn Japanese. It speaks what differently than English. If you can learn Japanese, and German, you can learn anything Razz
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Avatar is an American cartoon, but it's done in the anime style. Your best bet may be to get into the American or Canadian animation industry and do something like that. If you know Japanese you may at some time get to direct an anime, like the guy who directed Tekkonkinkreet.

Sorry for my double post. You can delete the one above this one if you want. Embarassed
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Look into Game Design. That's a very R/T/F-friendly field, and it's probably your best "in" aside from American animation. I would say there are more gaming opportunities (great indie scene) than directing opportunities.

Making your way into a Japanese game company is very difficult though, but not unheard of (Q Games is a great example).
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Write an international best selling novel. I bet JK Rowling could get Harry Potter made into an anime overnight.(Only way I'll ever get something into anime)
Zade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the fact that there are not many Americans directors in animes, but I have read that some people think Japan is running out of ideas, (evidenced by them bringing back old ideas, like the eva movies) maybe they will accept non-Japanese more easily?

I don't think I would do well being a director of a live action movie seeing as I probably couldn't really direct the actors very well. Plus the ways you direct a live action should be almost useless when you direct an anime seeing as they seem like opposites... fake and real. With animatrix the brothers wrote the segments, but they didn't actually direct them.

I am going to try and learn Japanese using Rosetta Stone programs at my local library, maybe at home if I can't learn there.

As for reviving the animation industry, I suppose I could try getting the attention of any ambitious American animators by putting ads in/on magazines/magazines/websites and going to conventions (boy wouldn't that be a fun bunch of people gathered in the same room lol). I could probably manage them well enough, after taking business management and probably other things in collage for help anyway. The thing is I couldn't afford to pay them so I would need funding.

I'm not a writer and I doubt my stories would do good in books. Plus I don't think I could write a well formatted story.

Thanks for the info/help guys.

There IS an American director, (he lives in Tokyo and was the director of Tekkonkinkreet) Michael Arias, I should try and contact him.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Zade wrote:
maybe they will accept non-Japanese more easily?

Sorry, but that's very unlikely.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It's just a huge risk. So there's one, heck, there might even be a few more. In the end though we're talking a handful out probably hundreds or thousands that have tried. Heck, if the e-mails that Zac receives for the Answerman column are any indication, practically every anime fan out there aspires to be an anime director.

You're basically talking about packing up and moving your life away from friends and family, going to another country entirely, learning different languages and cultures, just to pursue something that is honestly a major long shot from the word go. Just something to consider really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Avatar is an American cartoon, but it's done in the anime style. Your best bet may be to get into the American or Canadian animation industry and do something like that. If you know Japanese you may at some time get to direct an anime, like the guy who directed Tekkonkinkreet.

Sorry for my double post. You can delete the one above this one if you want. Embarassed

Avatar The Last Arbiter made by Korean and Japanese animators hired by american animation company.

Just want to correct the information.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Well that goes without saying. The American studios do the keyframing and designs and directing, which I might add is what this individual wants to do. The korean studios then do most of the rest. This isn't that unusual and is in fact pretty standard in the anime world as well.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well that goes without saying. The American studios do the keyframing and designs and directing, which I might add is what this individual wants to do. The korean studios then do most of the rest. This isn't that unusual and is in fact pretty standard in the anime world as well.

Most of the Japanese Anime made by 100% Japanese and even there are some of the Anime they make such as Naruto by hiring non Japanese, they are hiring Korean and not American.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

Avatar The Last Arbiter made by Korean and Japanese animators hired by american animation company.

Just want to correct the information.

I'm aware that it is animated by Koreans and Japanese, but hey, so was Batman and The Last Unicorn. It's still a cartoon that was created and written by Americans. That's what I was talking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6