• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone bothered by incestuous relationships in some anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Embarassed For instance, "I'm in love with my little sister" do have a strong theme of incestuous relationship between siblings. What do you guys think about that?
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Truthfully, that stuff in anime has never bothered me because it isn't real. Now, if I were to see something like that on Jerry Springer or something, then I get disturbed. But if it's fake, not really a problem to me. It all depends on what you think, though. I'm not that religeous of a person, so a lot of things christians have problems with really don't affect me.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
No, not really. It's not real, and it's usually between cousins (which is legal in most countries, I believe) or they are not blood related.

The only anime with blood-related sibling incest I can think of are Angel Sanctuar (which I'm reading the manga of right now) and Koi Kaze (and I'm not sure if they are blood related in that one).
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
It depends a lot on how well-written it is. Romantic stories centered around incest have to be handled much more delicately than a normal romance or they can come off as disturbing, and it has to be a two-way relationship or it becomes even more creepy. Approaching more from the angle of "forbidden love" than just as incest also helps.

It can be done and done well, however. There's one truly superior example of it in circulation right now (and it's probably the title you're alluding to).

Now, would I show something like that to my sister? Probably not. But I wouldn't show her something like Elfen Lied, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
it doesn't really bother me at all in some cases

like in angel sanctuary, if there wasn't forbidden love, it wouldn't be as interesting and complex.

besides, it's mutual ,what creeps me out are stalkers...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:23 am Reply with quote
It doesn't bother me that much at all; I make sure not to transfer any of it to real-life thinking, and it stays within the story. If it's not cheap and exploitative, incest plotlines generally add to the taboo/intrigue of the story; after all, Koi Kaze would just be an age difference drama without it. (And yes, they are blood-related in KK, assuming the manga doesn't change that later.)

There are a few other shows with sibling incest themes, though it's not necessarily acted on. These include Utena, Ayashi no Ceres, Mai HiME (only joked about), Steel Angel Kurumi (with bonus shoujo-ai Rolling Eyes) And maybe Sister Princess too, though I'm not sure that it's worth watching 39 episodes to find out... Embarassed
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:28 am Reply with quote
Namie wrote:
Embarassed For instance, "I'm in love with my little sister" do have a strong theme of incestuous relationship between siblings. What do you guys think about that?

Well, what do you think about it? When posting an opinion question like this to open a thread, it's suggested that you accompany it with your own take on the matter. It provides a little more to discuss later on.

Also, please lose the red text in the future. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And yes, they are blood-related in KK, assuming the manga doesn't change that later.

I've watched/read both anime and manga (I even own the five tankoubon); I can assure you that they are blood-related brother and sister with same parents from the beginning to the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote
It doesn't bother me at all. Animation can go places live action can't or maybe shouldn't go, so in a way I think it has a duty to explore the boundaries of taste (and legality too). Of the various animated genres, anime appears to be doing best at living up to this responsibility.
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
I know this is kinda random but, insest refers to only directly blood related relatives, such as parents and siblings. Cousins, and others like that aren't technically insest. For example, the royal family inbred with their cousins for generations so that they could keep their blood line in the royal family (this isn't anything bad, but it increases the chances of genetic disorders in offspring etc.) I'm not trying to disprove anyone, just adding that little tidbit of info. for you all to see Very Happy

Back on topic, in shows like Elven Lied, i am not bothered by the cousin thing. First of all it's fake, and second of all like many others said, although a bit wierd, cousin to cousin relationships can be very common in some areas.

GP
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
Speaking of incest, did you know that incest is the ONLY UNIVERSAL taboo? It's the only thing I remember from sociology class from high school. ^^;;;
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Speaking of incest, did you know that incest is the ONLY UNIVERSAL taboo?

Ever heard ancient Egypt? See the discussion between angel_lover and abunai, two of the smartest ANNers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Considering how common it is in some more primitive societies I highly doubt that. I've said this on another thread allready, those living with siblings and/or close cousins develop a sexual aversion to them and hence are more prone to getting creeped out by that theme in an anime. As only child, hey its an available woman, big deal. I get the sociological taboo principle and all but psychologically the barrier isn't really there.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
personally I dont care wether or not they are related by blood or not, as long as its a consensual relationship being portrayed, rape, stalking and the like are far too prevalent and unpleasant.

now as to incest in real life...I am undecided, the only real reason I can see for it not being acceptable is the limited genetic stock it would eventually create...But human evolution(in the physical sense) has more or less come to a stand still due to technology etc so a limited genetic stock makes little difference anyway.

and Pleroma raises a good point, why is incest morally and socially taboo?

people feel uncomfortable with it because they may have grown up with a sibling? Or something else?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
people feel uncomfortable with it because they may have grown up with a sibling? Or something else?

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3595&page=22

A study (Weisfeld GE, Czilli T, Phillips KA, Gall JA, Lichtman CM. Possible olfaction-based mechanisms in human kin recognition and inbreeding avoidance. J Exp Child Psychol. 2003 Jul;85(3):279-95) has shown that pheromones may play a role. A very new hypothesis (Denic S, Nicholls MG. Incestuous gene in consanguinophilia and incest: Toward a consilience theory of incest taboo. Med Hypotheses. 2006;66(1):52-8) has linked it with malaria.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5