• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OMG it's coming ad

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
About that (creepy) question mark guy on the left side of the site that links to omgitscoming.com, is that anime related or site related? I'm sure you guys can't tell us specifically what it is, but can you tell us if it's actually related to anime or not so that there won't be a million threads created speculating about things that probably won't happen and then lead to more complaining fans?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vapors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
Mods - Move this or lock if necessary but has anyone noticed on the left side of the website a link to OMGitscoming.com? Is there some site contest or something? Or a big announcement from ANN? Whatever "it" is is coming in 12 days and 10 hours as of this post.
bci110

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
Really? I don't see anything of the sort...
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
in the blue on the left side next to the header. your mouse will activate a ?? guy coming out to the side.

I'd like to know if this is something related too... because my other thought is: annoying hack
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
You can either put your cursor in the left blue plane and scroll down or you can select all and you'll see a light blue shaded area.

glitteringloke wrote:
I'd like to know if this is something related too... because my other thought is: annoying hack

I never thought of that, but that is possible. When you go to the site it looks very, very amateurish, something I wouldn't expect to be ANN related.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
It's some kind of "viral" promotion. I expect it's anime-related (this being Anime News Network), but I have no idea what it's about... and I'm the one who set it up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Well, it made me laugh. I guess we'll find out in 12 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 40 seconds....
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
It's some kind of "viral" promotion. I expect it's anime-related (this being Anime News Network), but I have no idea what it's about... and I'm the one who set it up!

Now that I know it's not a terrorist trying to destroy the site, I'll be able to sleep easy tonight (accidental rhyming). I just hope I didn't hurt anybodies feelings when I said it looked amateurish.

Let the license speculations begin
bci110

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
in the blue on the left side next to the header. your mouse will activate a ?? guy coming out to the side.

Well actually I'm using a different skin (the Higurashi one from late 2008) than the default one, but I did switch to the default but I didn't see the ?? guy. Maybe it's the way mu PC is set up or something.

Anyway it looks like the announcement will be made on July 16 when Otakon starts. Whether it's anime-rated or not remains to be seen.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
Probably a license, like the Haruhi viral marketing on AnimeonDVD. It's counting down to Otakon weekend.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
i don't think otakon's gonna announce anything on pre-reg pick up day... but it's about the time frame for announcements
sashaisme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I just found it! It's hilarious!

I wonder what it's for, though? Perhaps we're getting ready to be thrown into some strange fiction-like world, or maybe I'm finally getting the transdimensional watch I've been wanting...... Or it's an ad.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:
Probably a license, like the Haruhi viral marketing on AnimeonDVD. It's counting down to Otakon weekend.

True, though if my math is right, it's counting down to noon on that Thursday, and Otakon doesn't formally start until Friday. Of course, I guess that wouldn't stop someone from announcing something.

Whoever registered the domain used a service to hide who they were, and the code just as the javascript in it. No HTML comments or anything, which suggests it's not Bandai, since they tend to like to do that.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
I just stumbled across this thing myself. I was logged out and accidently clicked it without even seeing it (was talking to someone at the time) and wham, I'm looking at a counter and oddness. If this is viral marketing, at least it caught my attention.

Which skins does this come up on? My normal one is the Pretty Cure/Digimon one (wish it lacked Digimon) and that one doesn't seem to include it.

So the day before or so of Otakon is when the timer winds down huh? Hope it will be a worthwhile thing and not something stupid.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
I just found it on the left side of the screen.What is it ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6