• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Supporting Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mow123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting data, Dorcas_Aurelia. I think if we excluded the late vote, dtm42 would have staged the biggest come from behind comeback into the top 3. I would like to say it was because dtm42 bracket was strong in the late game, but no, it was because my mini-game bracket completely tanked after a while. I am fairly confident that I made ANN mini game history with having the worst late game performance despite still placing in the top 3. What an accomplishment! I also noticed that overall the scores were a lot lower than usual.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
And what the heck, in case anyone is curious, THIS is the monster that I actually use myself to keep track of these tournaments.

That's just sick. I'm really quite glad that I don't have to interact with that abomination every week. I'd go mad, simple as that. The fact that you haven't (lost your sanity) must be a testament to incredible mental fortitude. Although, I have to wonder at how sane a person is who does this job willingly.

Okay, so I'm an outsider looking in; I'm sure it all makes sense to you. Still, I will never complain about how late the Minigame results are again.

A lot of the tables are duplicate information just so I don't have to resort the order of everything constantly, and most of the time I'm only updating the "Vote Count" and "Results" pages, with about half of the other pages being updated once a week, although often only a small portion of a row or column needs to be updated, and even so, a bit of that is simplified by having a lot of the data automatically updating thanks to preset formulas.

mow123 wrote:
Very interesting data, Dorcas_Aurelia. I think if we excluded the late vote, dtm42 would have staged the biggest come from behind comeback into the top 3. I would like to say it was because dtm42 bracket was strong in the late game, but no, it was because my mini-game bracket completely tanked after a while. I am fairly confident that I made ANN mini game history with having the worst late game performance despite still placing in the top 3. What an accomplishment!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think that dubious award goes to ManOfRust for the Duos Tournament, when he placed third despite scoring only 12 points total after the third round, and none after the fourth. In terms of most impressive comeback, in the same tournament, Psycho overcame a 20 point deficit after the fourth round to place second, but he was still getting at least third anyway, so, yeah.
However, we do have the unusual situation of this being the first tournament where the winner didn't correctly guess the final winner. Kind of.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think that dubious award goes to ManOfRust for the Duos Tournament, when he placed third despite scoring only 12 points total after the third round, and none after the fourth. In terms of most impressive comeback, in the same tournament, Psycho overcame a 20 point deficit after the fourth round to place second, but he was still getting at least third anyway, so, yeah.
However, we do have the unusual situation of this being the first tournament where the winner didn't correctly guess the final winner. Kind of.

Wooohooo go me lol. I still remember that and the fact that I was amazed beyond belief I even placed at all. I mean MOR was dominating virtually the entire tournament. I figured he'd win it for sure. The only reason I did was because I guessed the final winner right and that was pure luck. I honestly did not expect Kurau and Christmas to win but picked them as the winner because I both felt they deserved it the most and I happened to like them the most too. I literally was moving in my seat with joy that they actually won. Then I saw I jumped the point totals and vowed then and there never to trade in or sell my copy of Kurau lol.

dtm42 wrote:
Looking at your profile I have to agree that most of your recent posts have been in this thread. I checked the first three pages, and the tally is 29 posts here out of a possible 45. Yeah, I can understand why you wouldn't want Biggest Badarse; it would cut your posting down by a huge margin. And as I said before, I'm not that enthused by the very idea of it either.

Alright then, I do believe you should be given the chance to champion a different tournament. But, and I'm just saying, Biggest Badarse is going to happen eventually. Even if you nominate a really cool idea this time, and it is taken up, you're just delaying the inevitable. Don't you just want to get the pain over with instead of having it hang over your head like the Sword of Damocles?

Ya know you might not like the Badass tourny idea but you don't need to be rude about it DTM and say how you hope it gets picked so the supporters will just shut up and to get the pain over with. I find that a bit rude, even if you did use a Harry Dresden reference, as no one else has ever said anything like that towards any of the supporters of any other tournament. In fact the constant supporters for the Badass tournament have been nothing but patient and civil watching it get shot down 3 times in a row. So please save the rude comments. Thanks.

As for the idea of just giving it the go regardless I have to agree with marie-antoinette and say it should be voted on. Other good ideas have progressed and come out of previously considered ideas for tournaments. Obviously as a supporter for it I want the Badass tourny to win eventually but only if the majority vote on it. Not some free pass. I would wager money that the rest of the Badass tourny supporters feel the same. As would any supporters of any of the other tourny ideas.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ya know you might not like the Badass tourny idea but you don't need to be rude about it DTM and say how you hope it gets picked so the supporters will just shut up and to get the pain over with. I find that a bit rude, even if you did use a Harry Dresden reference, as no one else has ever said anything like that towards any of the supporters of any other tournament. In fact the constant supporters for the Badass tournament have been nothing but patient and civil watching it get shot down 3 times in a row. So please save the rude comments. Thanks.

I was not being rude to anyone, let alone anyone in particular. You think that my only reason for posting is to annoy you personally, but the world - and my life - does not revolve around you. In terms of "pain", I was actually referring to marie-antoinette's feelings on the matter more than my own. Or did you forget that I was replying to her?

Secondly, who the heck is Harry Dresden? I've never heard of him in my life, so I'm curious as to what part of what I wrote was a reference to this mysterious man.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

I was not being rude to anyone, let alone anyone in particular. You think that my only reason for posting is to annoy you personally, but the world - and my life - does not revolve around you. In terms of "pain", I was actually referring to marie-antoinette's feelings on the matter more than my own. Or did you forget that I was replying to her?

I may be incorrect but I took it as Psycho saying that you're blanket-like insult of "we'd better get badass out of the way *rolleyes*"-type statements as if people who want it are idiots could easily come across as offensive. Psycho didn't mention himself anywhere in that post other than to say that he found your post offensive. And he also made it pretty clear that he was talking about supporters of the badass tournament in general, not himself or you (ie your last two sentences just sound dumb). No offense or anything but I dislike the way you veil insults or inflammatory remarks with your posts and then jump to a defensive stance every time someone calls you out on it. Psycho thought what you said was rude and he pointed it out. He did so in a perfectly orderly manner and I think your response looks more like goading and defensive knee-jerk than anything else.

Anyways, I would like to see a badass tournament now as well (something we all manage to agree on, for various reasons) if only because, as Psycho pointed out, people have managed to be patient after being put off round after round now. I personally am not that keen, but I won't go into it feeling bitter or being a jerk out of protest; there is a generally good response to the idea (and has been for several rounds now) and I think that people who have been wanting it for 3 long tournaments now deserve to get it. I also don't like the idea of cutting it down to 64 _now_, simply because people who do want the badass tournament and might finally get it will feel cheated that the tournament they want to see will get cut in half for the sake of trying something new. With any other tournament I would say try it, but with such an interest in badass and the amount of time it has been up in the air as a potential, I don't think it would be particularly fair to the people who want to do it.

I think of it as, if you don't like the idea of doing a 128 character tournament, then just sit on your hands and take a break until it gets chopped down to 64. It doesn't take much effort to vote when you don't need to give reasoning anyway, so it's not exactly mentally draining to throw in your 2c in those early stages. If Key is willing to do the work for the 128, then I say let it go ahead.

Anyways, with something easy to identify with (where subjectivity and likability come into play) such as a Badass tournament, I think it will encourage people to join up an continue voting as debates become more passionate. These tournaments are never objective despite what anyone says, and I would think that people will find it easier to defend a simpler concept (ie supporting was really difficult to quantify, whereas badass is relatively easier) and thus will be able to participate more readily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
I may be incorrect but I took it as Psycho saying that you're blanket-like insult of "we'd better get badass out of the way *rolleyes*"-type statements as if people who want it are idiots could easily come across as offensive.

That's not what I wrote, so if he thought that then he read wrong.

I said that Biggest Badarse would be painful for someone who really didn't want it, i.e. marie-antoinette. I do want it, so I don't see where you and Psycho 101 are coming from.

I said that such a tournament could be fun and popular (i.e. lively), if quite subjective. Yeah, I'm not a rabid fan or anything, but that doesn't mean I think that those who do want the tournament are idiots. It's just that their number one is not my number one, that's all.

I recognised long before you and Psycho 101 mentioned it at how patient the supporters for Biggest Badarse have been, and how long they've waited, so that's why I said we should just do it.

And Key said he had an idea at how to pacify (at least in part) those who don't necessarily want such a tournament, so there's hope for it.

Lastly, of course I'm going to get defensive when someone accuses me of being rude when I clearly wasn't. It's normal human behaviour to get aggravated when someone talks trash about you, maliciously or not.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Too bad there's no prize for coming in last place for the mini-game!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Too bad there's no prize for coming in last place for the mini-game!

You want a consolation booby prize? I can give you one. PM me your address and I'll ship it to you.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, there was prize thingy going on too. Did better then I thought I would. Not bad with the coin flips.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
PM me your address and I'll ship it to you.

IT'S A TRAP!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Quote:
PM me your address and I'll ship it to you.

IT'S A TRAP!

Probably a copy of PoPotan lol. Run!!!!! Laughing

Skylark wrote:
I may be incorrect but I took it as Psycho saying that you're blanket-like insult of "we'd better get badass out of the way *rolleyes*"-type statements as if people who want it are idiots could easily come across as offensive.

That was exactly my point. Don't give yourself too much credit DTM. Perhaps instead of simply ignoring any complaints as you always do you might take a second and re-read your post and you might just see how those in support of that particular tournament would find it offensive that you said "we should just have it to shut them up." If you honestly can't see how that could be seen as rude then you simply just have on blinders. Please spare me the "talking trash" crap as well DTM. You seem to constantly want to make more out of my posts and words then what is there when directed at you. You always seem to love to put words in my mouth or twist my words which are pretty clear into something else to fit your assumptions. I said that comment was rude end of story. I did not insult you at all personally now did I? I did not call you any names or say you're a bloody moron now did I? I was as polite as can be and said please and thanks as well. Or did you skip that part? Only way I could have been nicer about it is if I bent over and kissed your arse and told you your shit indeed does not stink. Now since you obviously can't be civil and want to just make assumptions then I have nothing more to say to you on the subject. Good day to you.

And just fyi the Harry Dresden thing was in regards to your other comments. The Sword of Damocles one. It's in the Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher so I thought that was where you got it from. So if you took that as an insult as well it wasn't.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Now since you obviously can't even be civil and want to just make assumptions I have nothing more to say to you on the subject.

Spare me. You derail the thread by championing your own false assumptions and exclaim how rude I was being when I clearly was not (being rude). And then when I defend myself you come out with that incredibly condescending and outright piece of garbage post above me. How about you go practice what you preach?

Psycho 101 wrote:
The Sword of Damocles one. It's in the Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher so I thought that was where you got it from. So if you took that as an insult as well it wasn't.

The tale of the Sword of Damocles dates around from a bit longer than a guy named Jim Butcher has been alive. But whatever, you don't care about Greek legend anyway.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 and Psycho 101, both of you are done with this. We will proceed as we have in the past and that's final.

I'm taking the thread off of sticky status now, but anyone else can feel free to continue discussing things.

Oh, and deciding on a new topic is something I probably would have time to administer during the Fall Preview season, so we will start that at the end of the month. We just won't start the Nominations phase for whatever tournament we do until after the Fall Preview Guide is done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 73 of 73