• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deep Discount anime sale

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Deep Discount currently has an anime DVD and Blu-ray sale. You can browse through over 1000 titles discounted up to 60% off MSRP. Almost every item in the sale includes free shipping.

Some great picks (especially if you missed TRSI's most recent Bandai Entertainment sale) include:

Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Season 2 Part 2, Special Edition, DVD
$21.58 (52% off)

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2, Limited Edition with manga, Parts 1 to 4, DVD
$21.58 (52% off)

Cowboy Bebop Remix: Anime Legends, DVD
$23.98 (52% off)

The link to the sale is here.

The sale ends Monday, August 2, 2010.

The deal was originally found here
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Already picked up Vision of Escaflowne for $19 and season 1 of Haruhi (selling my bigass box).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
oh man so tempting to get those Code Geass R2 LEs...going to go argue with my bank account...

Isn't their shipping supposed to be horrible?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
In my experience, it's not horrible, but there's certainly room for improvement. Your items are basically wrapped in paper in then inserted into a cardboard box. What happens after that depends on the mood your mailman is in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
In my experience, it's not horrible, but there's certainly room for improvement. Your items are basically wrapped in paper in then inserted into a cardboard box. What happens after that depends on the mood your mailman is in.

I will agree with KoH that it is not bad, but it could be better. Single items it will depend on what they ship them in and how big the items is. A standard DVD case could come in just about anything. I have had single DVD cases come plastic shipping bags with something that looks like it should hold chocolate candies if it was completed finished and not just half asses into a DVD case holder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
oh man so tempting to get those Code Geass R2 LEs...going to go argue with my bank account...

Isn't their shipping supposed to be horrible?

If you get the free shipping, it typically ships via media mail- which can take a few days to a few weeks to arrive. Paying for shipping helps offset the the screwy timing- most people opt to just put up with it though, since DD is basically the only place you can get free shipping on any order, anytime.

The actual packaging varies wildly. I've had DVDs ship wrapped up, with protective air pillows cushioning the DVDs. I've had DVDs thrown into a box half and inch too big with nothing to stop them bouncing around. I've had DVDs ship in mailers of various kinds. I have NOT, however, had anything arrived damaged- although I've heard a few horror stories about empty artboxes (back when those were common.)

Long story short- be prepapred for anything, but know there's normally no real issues.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
It usually only takes a long time if they are shipping a single DVD. Then they'll put it in a plastic envelope of death, and it'll take 2 - 3+ weeks to be delivered. Otherwise it takes about 3 days, in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm not sure if my order went through. Purchaused as "guest" although maybe I should've just signed up... Since the order was processing and I had Noscript on, not sure if the order even went through, but no email confirmation yet... Guess I'll wait a bit and do it again :/ Don't want to be charged twice, but don't want to not get my item.

EDIT: Guess it didn't work, ran through again, and voila! Code Geass LE 2 is coming soon to a door near me at an amazing price Very Happy No more spending...
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I will agree with KoH that it is not bad, but it could be better. Single items it will depend on what they ship them in and how big the items is. A standard DVD case could come in just about anything. I have had single DVD cases come plastic shipping bags with something that looks like it should hold chocolate candies if it was completed finished and not just half asses into a DVD case holder.

A couple of my single DVDs arrived in the "chocolate candy" packaging as well. The DVD and the case were not damaged upon inspection.

Sheleigha wrote:
Hmmm not sure if my order went through. Purchaused as "guest" although maybe I should've just signed up... Since the order was processing and I had Noscript on, not sure if the order even went through, but no email confirmation yet... Guess I'll wait a bit and do it again :/ Don't want to be charged twice, but don't want to not get my item.

EDIT: Guess it didn't work, ran through again, and voila! Code Geass LE 2 is coming soon to a door near me at an amazing price Very Happy No more spending...

I usually Temporarily allow all when using NoScript to order on Deep Discount. This way, I know for sure the order has gone through on my end. The order confirmation e-mail, from my experience, can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to show up in your inbox.

From my experience, Deep Discount's shipping time varies. After receiving the shipped out item(s) confirmation e-mail, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for your item(s) to arrive if you picked the free shipping option. It was a total pain for me since it took a few weeks for my Samurai Harem: Asu no Yoichi! Complete Collection to arrive. Nevertheless, at the price I paid for it, it was still worth it.

Just to let you know, the sale is not limited to Bandai Entertainment titles. I have found some great series at a great price.

RahXephon, Complete Collection, DVD
$28.78 (52% off)
Link here.

Honey and Clover, Box Set 2, DVD
$29.98 (50% off)
Link here.

Princess Tutu, Complete Collection, DVD
$21.58 (52% off)
Link here.

Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, Complete Series, Blu-ray
$31.18 (48% off)
Link here.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

I usually Temporarily allow all when using NoScript to order on Deep Discount. This way, I know for sure the order has gone through on my end. The order confirmation e-mail, from my experience, can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to show up in your inbox.

Yeah I got a little excited ordering and didn't turn it off :p I also sent them an email since the only one I was able to cancel was the account one (it did go through twice :/), and only have the Guest order, in which you really can't view the order status. Hopefully they'll at least let me know via email when/if it gets shipped (just had something I ordered lost in the mail recently, so confirmation of some sort is nice...)
It is apparently "backordered" so may not be a good thing, especially since it's an item most retailers don't even HAVE, so I hope it's backordered from their own warehouse, rather than Bandai itself (who most likely have none left).

Here's hoping!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1