• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Comics to Shut Down CMX Manga Imprint in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I am very sad about this, mostly because of Nari Kusakawa's titles. One volume away from finishing one title, and a one-volume book that will never see print... Sad, really.

Hopefully the little hidden gems they had will find some home.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Not surprised at all what so ever... I don't know one person who bought from their line of stuff.

It's sad, but they had no titles that people actually cared about. No big loss.

Though I wish no one has lost their job and people may now be unemployed, I do somewhat agree with you.

I've never known anyone who actually bought any CMX manga and I certainly never bought any manga form them. Nothing ever interested me, which is very rare since almost every manga company has had at least one series that caught my attention, even for only one volume or so.

Like I said, I wish those people hadn't lost their jobs, but if there aren't that many titles that appeal to a wide demographics, something similar might occur. Life isn't always fair people and reality isn't always sunshine and flowers.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I am very upset at this news. I love CMX manga--from Astral Project to Recipe for Gertrude. I'm a die-hard fan of Apothecarius Argentum, and was waiting with anticipation for the next volume. I bought the last volume, as well as a few volumes of Emma (the rest I read courtesy of the public libraries I frequent). I love The Pallette of Five Secret Colors. I LOVE CMX. Sad

But instead of just getting merely sad and upset over this (the way I am over the demise of Go Comi! ~farewell, Song of the Hanging Sky~) I am burning, raging MAD.

What the *#@* is wrong with DC?! They think Superman will sustain them forever?! Or do they think women are only good for stuffing in their fridge?

Perhaps I'm speculating too much, not giving them the benefit of the doubt. This is not like Minx, in which the label was axed before it could proerly establish a brand name. And perhaps the latest JLA/Batman/Teen Titans incarnation tanked, or they are just hurting from the economy.

I mean, heaven knows they marketed CMX with all their might, promoting those titles with everything they had. And it seems like the fine people working at CMX got plenty of notice, so that they were able to tie up all the loose threads at their division of the company. Plus, DC was kind enough to reassure all their customers that Megatokyo, the only American web comic printed by CMX, would continue to be published!

As a shojo manga fan, how can I not appreciate all the thought they put into this decision?

*I AM SO MAD!!!*
maaya

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
after looking through their titles, it seems that they have published many hidden gems and high quality titles, which were mostly overlooked because they may not seem interesting at first glance and because they aren't well known in general (no anime adaptions). But among manga fans they seem to be quite appreciated.

A lot of their titles seem to be creative and original (especially in the shojo genre, which unfortunately is quite rare imho) and are getting very positive reviews, so this is definitely a loss for the US manga market.
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I started reading Land of the Blindfolded because CMX brought it over. I also was ecstatic that they released Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Ever since then, I hadn't found another title to follow until their manga line. It's really unfortunate because I like the quality of work that went behind the translations and manga panel clean-up. I was more disappointed that they tend to change cover layouts without any warning, causing a set of books to look all hodge-podge. =/
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
What I don't is how this company and Go Comi are closing shop and TokyoPop hasn't yet. All those titles Kodansha withdrew from them and TP's history of Americanizing various comics would've put them just shy of standing outside the bankruptcy office, I would think.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Darn, just when I was getting interested in Nyankoi!, Diamond Girl, and Polyphonica...>_>

Wonder if they're going to continue releasing the ongoing manga?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Better go and buy Emma while I still can...

Still need volumes 5 and 10 myself. Emma and Megatokyo are the only CMX titles I'm buying.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
What I don't is how this company and Go Comi are closing shop and TokyoPop hasn't yet. All those titles Kodansha withdrew from them and TP's history of Americanizing various comics would've put them just shy of standing outside the bankruptcy office, I would think.

Because TokyoPop is expanding beyond just manga into Hollywood.
Maybe there's a lesson there. Laughing
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
First response: WHAT THE fudge IS THIS SHIT!!!!??

I was like "whatever" when Go! Comi shut down, since all of After School Nightmare is out. But this! There's no way in hell Eroica or Swan is going to be completed is there? IS THERE?

I'm off to chapters.ca to buy the rest of Cipher while I can. It's hard enough to find and the company isn't even dead yet. Crying or Very sad

I recommend Oyayubihime Infinity to everyone - I'd dare say it's better than 85% of the Shohojo Beat titles out there.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
after looking through their titles, it seems that they have published many hidden gems and high quality titles, which were mostly overlooked because they may not seem interesting at first glance and because they aren't well known in general (no anime adaptions). But among manga fans they seem to be quite appreciated.

A lot of their titles seem to be creative and original (especially in the shojo genre, which unfortunately is quite rare imho) and are getting very positive reviews, so this is definitely a loss for the US manga market.

Yeah, they had a great line-up of quality titles that no one ever even heard of. Which was their problem. They never aquired the needed shelve space in regular bookstores to reach their audience. Half of their titles were shoujo titles, yet these were sold in places most girls (and their parents) don't want to frequent: comicbook stores.

They also had multiple E-rated titles that were genuinely good comics instead of popular anime/game tie-ins made to milk a brand even more.

It's a shame the imprint had to go kaput in order for manga/anime fans notice of their awesomeness Sad
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
They also published two other favorites of mine....GON and CHIKYU MISAKI.....this is awful!
Crying or Very sad

Utterly depressing news, to say the least.

No matter what, though, I'll still be completing my collections of Chikyu Misaki and Land of The Blindfolded! No matter what!! *punches air in determination*

...O-On that note. *looks for them online*
lurkerboy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
CMX was never a serious player in the manga market. DC Comics never gave the project a chance. All the money, all the market influence, all the marketing and promotional power DC has, yet then never made a serious splash in the market... It's because the corporate hacks in DC weren't trying--and because they didn't know what they were doing.
TokyoPop, VIZ, Digital Manga, CPM--these were all companies that were invested solely in manga (and anime). And Del Ray and Dark Horse took their projects seriously and hired the best people they could.
Very few people will lose their jobs over CMX closing because, from what I can tell, very few people actually work on CMX full time. They had no convention presence, and nobody on the convention scene knew any of them.
The DC suits are probably happy to have this over and done with, as they are so convinced of the superiority of American comics.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
Even if most employees only work parttime at CMX, if CMX is gone, those jobs will disappear and unless DC/Wildstorm can magically create new work for them, people will be fired.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:35 am Reply with quote
Considering that CMX used the worst paper possible (even worse than Tokyopop) and so most of its manga is almost unreadable after several years, it's not such a big loss for manga fans. Although I also should hurry and try buying the rest of Emma books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10