• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: App Puts Unauthorized Manga Scans on iPhone, iPad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLightstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow! That was fast for a US based company to pull together a C & D order but I think Apple will comply. Hopefully other companies will follow suit. I can't help thinking that Yen Press will somehow come out with an application for the iphone/ipad down the road. I hope companies like Yen, Viz, etc does not use this concept as a way to abandon the print format for a digital format. While yes, it would be eco friendly ( in honor of earth day.) I like buying books from a bookstore. I don't have the money to invest in a device like Kindle or the memory space on my computer to save all those digital editions. ( I guess I would need one of those big digital storage units.)
malik_chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
malik_chan wrote:
I don't get why anyone would want to read manga on the iPhone or any other smart phone. A full page can't be read without the words blurring and becoming to small to read, and scrolling is pain in the rear when zoomed in.

My guess is it's the advent of the iPad that is prompting this. I wouldn't want to read or watch anything on an iPhone etc. but on an iPad? Sure! In fact, some comic book companies are looking into legally distributing their issues this way and saving some costs on printing etc.

I completely forgot about the iPad, lol. It makes sense if the app is only for that then.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Pants wrote:
Just downloaded the app and suggested it to all of my friends. Thanks for the tip, ANN!

Very Happy

Zac wrote:
Now now, if you're going to troll at least try to be believable. Nobody's going to buy that you have friends!

Confused

Well, Duh! wrote:
"...we are already in the process of contacting Apple to request the removal of the application until such time as our content has been removed."

Sad

When will these people ever learn. Yo, Yen Press, why don't you lead by example and give your real fans the opportunity to download an app for them so they won't care about this one?

Oh, right. That pesky DRM has to get in the way first.

No matter. Enjoy it while you can, people. Apple will waste no time removing it. After all, if it can't even allow a Nobel Peace Prize winner's app...
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
They should remove this as this is piracy not any sort of deluded fandom that it presents itself to be, hopefully there will be more but right now one step at a time.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
Yen Press, VIZ, TokypPop, and DelRay should pay "Not A Basement Studio" for the app. It is the manga and manhaw publishers fault for not being proactive about technology. The companies are slow to adopt new technology which makes them slow to adapt to the ever changing world of technology.

Not sure if the companies are leaders where anime and manga are concern but the thieves sure have talents, skills, and leadership where all things consider. Also, the thieves have guts for pulling this stunt.

You know what, that makes perfect sense. Lets pay people for stealing things! I mean, why wait and work for a legitamate system where everyone is awarded the same thing at the same time when we can just screw ourselves over in the long run and pay the people that rip you off! Its the greatest idea in the history of mankind I think... Crying or Very sad
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Maruna wrote:

It's a little more complicated than that. While the US companies might see the crowd they can target with this variety of digital distribution, it's worth questioning whether or not they can make a long term profit off of just ads and the initial fee. On top of that, licensing the title doesn't automatically mean the company has the rights to distribute it digitally as well, and I'm certain the Japanese companies are very cautious about giving this the okay.

Point taken. That's why I said the companies are never forward thinkers or innovators about their products. The idea of free needs to go to the wastebasket because people should be charged for a service they use. By charging people for products or services, it says the product or service has some value to it.

FaytLein wrote:

You know what, that makes perfect sense. Lets pay people for stealing things! I mean, why wait and work for a legitamate system where everyone is awarded the same thing at the same time when we can just screw ourselves over in the long run and pay the people that rip you off! Its the greatest idea in the history of mankind I think... Crying or Very sad

I am not saying what the thieves did is right. There are two separate issues such as the technology and the scanlation. The scanlation is the illegal part. The technology of the app is probably illegal too since it was used for the wrong purpose.

Last edited by sdhd on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
domino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
While groups like Yen Press should definitely remove illegal content, just once I'd like a company to say something like "we're working on a legal app!"

Companies have been just wagging their fingers at illegal content distribution for almost a decade without much attempts (other than Crunchyroll) to take advantage of the technology themselves. They are trying to keep people from using these illegal distribution methods by hitting them with the stick instead of luring them to a better service with the carrot.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:

Point taken. That's why I said the companies are never forward thinkers or innovators about their products. The idea of free needs to go to the wastebasket because people should be charged for a service they use. By charging people for products or services, it says the product or service has some value to it.

Here's the problem with the "give jobs to the thieves and let them run things" idea: once those thieves get those jobs (which are already being done by professionals who worked hard to get said jobs) then some other group of self-worshipping, proudly misanthropic teens will take their place and again do what they're doing for free and the cycle continues.

That cycle needs to be broken and the law at some point needs to be enforced even a little bit. Descending into anarchy and destroying an entire art form and industry in the name of some misguided sense of "I'm a noble thief who's showing the industry how it's done!" or a "because I can do it, that means I'm entitled to do it" attitude is not progress, it's destruction.
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
sdhd wrote:

Here's the problem with the "give jobs to the thieves and let them run things" idea: once those thieves get those jobs (which are already being done by professionals who worked hard to get said jobs) then some other group of self-worshipping, proudly misanthropic teens will take their place and again do what they're doing for free and the cycle continues.

That cycle needs to be broken and the law at some point needs to be enforced even a little bit. Descending into anarchy and destroying an entire art form and industry in the name of some misguided sense of "I'm a noble thief who's showing the industry how it's done!" or a "because I can do it, that means I'm entitled to do it" attitude is not progress, it's destruction.

Correction. I was referring to the companies not the thieves themselves about charging for goods and services. I was saying the companies should not give their goods away without charging even if it is online. I agree that companies should nail these guys and anybody who steals their intellectual copyrights who make it theirs and do as they please with it without the copyrights holders permission. The law is slow in catching up with the thieves.

Last edited by sdhd on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
A little off-topic from the article.

If Yen Press will be distributing Yen Plus online, does that mean that they have digital distribution rights for those series that will appear in the digital Yen Plus? If so, I can imagine that it'd work well for them to create their own app for digital distribution of their manga. Or at least make a Yen Plus app.

Hm, then again, they did mention "content changes" for the new Yen Plus. Not sure what that means yet, but could it mean that some titles might not be made available through the new Yen Plus?
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
other than merchandising, it's too bad nobody has a guarantee sustainable business model (for anime/manga) that allows for free content like online manga. aside from manga, i don't think yen press has merchandising rights.

i still don't understand why people would want to read manga on an iphone (maybe on the ipad) unless of course it was drawn specifically for the ipad.

instead of ask for the take down of this app, like petrifiedjello said, lead by example and compete with the app. i would much rather have a manga app (even if it doesn't have a large library) that is official rather than ones that aren't. especially if the manga was cut up and tailored for ipod viewing.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Uh, old news? There have been a number of apps like this on the iPhone and Android. Every time someone gets one taken down, another is put up within a few days. It's been going since at least last summer.

I tried one on my Droid btw to see if I could read it and it shows whole manga pages quite nicely even when they're that small. I'd pay for a legal version.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Uh, old news? There have been a number of apps like this on the iPhone and Android. Every time someone gets one taken down, another is put up within a few days. It's been going since at least last summer.

Just because cockroaches are everywhere doesn't mean you have to tolerate an infestation.

Incidentally, Tokyopop does have an app through Uclick, a division of a major comic strip syndicate
http://content.uclick.com/mobile/comics.html

I think a lot of people whinging for apps are unaware that companies need to have artists permissions to post their material digitally, so a lot of it is up to if an artist wants that. Given all the issues surrounding digital piracy, Japanese artist's don't appear to be sold on it all. It's hard to get the grocery store owner to listen to you when you're stealing from him at during the night shift. I think we'd see more official stuff if people weren't so supportive of the illegal, unauthorized stuff.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Yet, just to ask. But can you blame people for wanting to read Kenichi, Which isn't licensed and it almost as long as bleach and it's till going.
Is there a way for a app to be up and have non- licensed Mangas on it? Is it even okay? I mean then Manga Licensing companies can see how popular a manga is from those sources and decide to license it.

I mean didn't Bandia thank fan-subbers and crunchyroll back in the day for making The Melencaholy of Haruhi Suzamiya a big internet hit?
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:

I am not saying what the thieves did is right. There are two separate issues such as the technology and the scanlation. The scanlation is the illegal part. The technology of the app is probably illegal too since it was used for the wrong purpose.

However, saying that new technology exists and USING said new technology are two completely different things. Its easy to say that companies can make money by transferring to digital media formats, and it WILL happen eventually, but companies simply can't jump into a sink or swim into a brand new business model haphazardly. Now people would accuse them of being behind the times, but looking at ad revenues from online sites, and the fact that they make little money if at all, any business worth its salt would realize that the conditions aren't right, and a responsible businessman won't risk the futures of his employees and himself without some hard data to back up the decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4