• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Precision Problems

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
In the process of handling problems from months and years past I fixed this.
The list of your contributions now lists the error reports and endorsements separately. Also it's now possible to delete an error report (but not an endorsement) by saving it with a blank comment.
Had I known this earlier I wouldn't have flagged that many Silent Möbius cast entries with endorsements for additional precision information (a long time ago, prior to the new feature of adding precisions for already existing cast entries, and the information was not wrong, just not precise enough...). I can now add the precision information but not delete the endorsement after that.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
DD, you can now delete your own error reports by clearing the box. (although from experience, if you have flagged something as "aaccurate" you first need to change it to erroneous and save before clearing the box and saving again)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Nifty workaround... thanks a lot. Finally a way to get rid of all those precision tags.

(Unfortunately, I created a wrong person entry in the process that I can't delete now... so sorry.)

Potential software bug: When changing an endorsement into an error and leaving it this way (because it contained more than the missing precision information) the total number of my endorsements for this anime remains unchanged (whereas deleting the endorsement by turning it into an error and then calling it a "false alarm" actually decreases the number of endorsements for this anime).
EDIT: In the meantime someone appears to have set the aforementioned "endorsement counter" to zero, which isn't exactly helpful for me as it should give me the information whether I have already turned all endorsement into the (now possible) enhanced cast entries...
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Potential software bug: When changing an endorsement into an error and leaving it this way (because it contained more than the missing precision information) the total number of my endorsements for this anime remains unchanged (whereas deleting the endorsement by turning it into an error and then calling it a "false alarm" actually decreases the number of endorsements for this anime).
EDIT: In the meantime someone appears to have set the aforementioned "endorsement counter" to zero, which isn't exactly helpful for me as it should give me the information whether I have already turned all endorsement into the (now possible) enhanced cast entries...

I'm not sure what you're talking about.
1) If I change an endorsement to an error report, in my contributions it goes from the endorsements to the error reports table and the totals change.
2) You delete an error report by saving it with a blank message, not by calling it a "false alarm".
3) There's no "endorsement counter". If your contributions page contains no endorsements it's because you removed all your endorsements.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
The "my contributions" page contains an endorsement subtable. When I started cleaning up Silent Möbius this table contained some 57 or so cast endorsements for this anime, which was how I tagged additional precision information (prior to your relatively new feature of overriding already existing entries).
Yesterday I processed the list of endorsements one by one, adding the credit "duplicate" with additional precision information first, then deleting the corresponding endorsement (via turning it into an error first and then deleting the error, as the direct method didn't seem to work for me and Shiroi Hane taught me this workaround in the posting above). So I could observe the number of my cast endorsements for Silent Möbius decrement by one (by clicking "reload" for this page in my browser) for each one I processed.

Then I came to the first endorsement that contained more than just precision information. I contributed the precision information and turned the endorsement into an error as it still contained information that should be processed but is beyond my entitlement at ANN. This way I hoped to get the endorsement counter for Silent Möbius down to 0 and to end up with only a handful of error flags (which actually has become the result of the whole process in the meantime).
But this turning an endorsement into an error flag didn't decrement the endorsement counter, so my method for using this information to see whether any cast endorsements were still unprocessed wasn't usable.

And while I was at it, the cast endorsement counter for Silent Möbius (and only this one!) was suddenly set to 0, long before I processed and deleted my last cast endorsement. This value is still there, even though I added a "test endorsement" for the series' main character Katsumi Liqueur which isn't counted in the endorsement table (which right now shows 4 info, 12 staff and 3 company endorsements for Silent Möbius but no cast endorsement; I am not going to change Silent Möbius data any time soon as I'm busy with another anime now so you can use the current data for analysis of this effect).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ok, I found the bug and fixed it. This was quite confusing; if you had both error reports and endorsement for an anime, they would be counted together under either the error reports or endorsements table, semi-randomly. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
Now my endorsement table shows a total of 3 cast endorsements for Silent Möbius.
I deleted the aformentioned "test endorsement" for Katsumi Liqueur (the only one I was aware of), and the counter was decremented to 2 endorsements. But now I don't have any more markers for cast entries remaining (while I do have endorsements for staff etc.)... so what are these 2 cast endorsements for? Something fishy is still going on here.
386sky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:48 am Reply with quote
It could be good, if you want 演出 to be displayed as Episode Director.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
See:

Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks
Some suggestions about submitting cast and staff

One big problem with 演出 is that it is also used in film credits, where there are no episodes.

Question: do you ever check for replies to your posts? I don't think I have ever seen you reply to anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Question: do you ever check for replies to your posts? I don't think I have ever seen you reply to anything.

He's replied twice before, but it's hard to tell just what exactly he's trying to say in any case....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
When an actor has roles of differing importance in a series (primary, secondary, minor, unnamed), they are not sorted to where the more important roles come first. I think they used to be like that, so it may have come up only lately after the precision changes. For instance, if you look at Yoriko Nagata on K-ON!!, her unnamed role shows up first before her named secondary role, which looks odd.

Also, is it possible for roles of the same importance to be sorted in the order of the episode (when used in precision) they first appeared? I think that would look neat if it could be done.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I added "Animation (OP 2), Photography (OP 2), Episode Director (OP 2)*, Storyboard (ep. 29)**" to Toshiyuki Tsuru for his tasks on Great Teacher Onizuka and they're not being merged with the previous entires. Not even on the GTO page.

...now that I noticed it, somebody added "Episode Director, Storyboard (OP 2)". Instead of "Episode Director (OP 2) Storyboard (OP 2)"

*had Episode Director without precision before.
**had "Storyboard (OP 2) before
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
Removed the offending "Episode Director, Storyboard" task.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2